Craigslist Scam

svtcobra2k3

Established Member
So I'm selling a Laptop on Craigslist, and I received an e-mail from somebody saying he is willing to buy it and would like to pay me through PayPal for it. So I figure, alright. Gave him my PayPal address....

Then he sends me this:

roland duke
to me

show details 3:30 PM (47 minutes ago)
Hello....
Am very happy to inform that the payment has been made for your item and also paypal have deducted your money from my account....and i will want you to go and proceed with the shipping and get back to me with the shipment tracking number immediately you are back from post office...
Here is the shipping address bellow...
name:agbsanmi taye
address:no2 ososami road oke ado
city:ibadan
state:eek:yo state
zip code:23402
Mobile Number: +2348079974775.....
Thanks...Hope to read from you when you are back from post office..
Best Regard...
roland.

roland duke
to me

show details 1:50 PM (2 hours ago)

alright i will mail the money into your paypal account now and kindly get the item ship as soon as you get paypal notification so that your account will be credited.nice doing business with you

THEN HERES THE FUNNY PART............I went to check my PayPal e-mail address and I got THESE e-mails:

----- Original Message -----
To:
Sent: Wednesday, February 04, 2009 2:04 PM
Subject: ****YOU HAVE AN INSTANT PAYMENT****

Protect Your Password
You should never give your PayPal password to anyone, including PayPal employees.

You've got new funds!

Dear <my e-mail>

Roland Duke has sent you an instant payment using

PayPal.

Roland Duke is a Verified buyer.
------------------------------------------------------

Amount:
$850.00 USD

Transaction ID:
5Y758872CS5622206

You Have a Payment Pending!

Dear <my email>

This is to Notify you about the Payment made by " Roland Duke " to your PayPal account. The payment has been successfully made but due to security reasons we have to receive the Shipment Tracking Number before your PayPal account will be credited.

This a new measure we are taking in order to protect both Sellers and Buyers against fraudulent activities. Once you have ship the Item, send the shipment tracking number to PayPal Customer Service Department :
PayPal Service < [email protected] >immediately the Shipment tracking number is CONFIRMED, your account will be credited immediately. We are sorry for any inconvenience.

Thank you for using PayPal
The PayPal Team

So I open a new browser and log into my PayPal account and I see no funds. I check the e-mail properties and I see the e-mail isn't from [email protected] but it's infact from "[email protected]"

What should I do? Do I just forward these e-mails to PayPal Fraud? And what should I do about this person? Should I just ignore him from here on out or should I send him a reply about trying to scam me? I think it would be funny if he e-mailed me back saying "Why didn't you ship it yet? I paid you through PayPal!"

Last edited:

03LCalgaryAB

Established Member
Definitely report it to paypal.
Ship him an empty box and put a face value of like $3000, so hopefully when he picks it up he will have to pay brokerage fees and what not.

f8tlbite

fordplay equals fordgasms
Established Member
Definitely report it to paypal.
Ship him an empty box and put a face value of like $3000, so hopefully when he picks it up he will have to pay brokerage fees and what not.

:lol: +1 The fact that he is from Nigeria would have been this biggest give away for me. Nigerians are the smartest scam artists!

Birdys03Cobra

Established Member
This is a huge problem with Craigslist now a days.....i post a lot of things on there site, and sell almost everything, but now its getting out of hand....

I was selling a computer monitor, asking 120 for it, i get 5 emails soon after, from weird email addresses asking if i still had the item, i respond yes....they then give me a story line....

Hi
Thanks for the response.I am willing to pay your asking price.I will pay by money order as its the only way i can pay you at the moment.I will make arrangement for the pick-up after payment have been received by you. I dont mind adding an extra twenty dollars so you can keep it in my favor.Reply with your full name,cell phone number,and address where payment should be sent.Please take the posting off craigslist today and consider it sold to me.
Expecting to hear from you soon.
Regards
Jerry

Every email i responded to, i recieved this in return....

apparently this is a huge scam where people actually DO send information, and the emailer will send you a check over night....you can go to the bank and cash the check, and they will arrange for item pickup, and 2 weeks later you get busted for having a fake check. I read this online in numerous forums, people are unbelievable now a days

I read up on it, i didnt fall for it, but im sure many many manyyy people have fallen for it, only to get themselves in serious trouble...

THE_STIG

Established Member
This is a huge problem with Craigslist now a days.....i post a lot of things on there site, and sell almost everything, but now its getting out of hand....

I was selling a computer monitor, asking 120 for it, i get 5 emails soon after, from weird email addresses asking if i still had the item, i respond yes....they then give me a story line....

Hi
Thanks for the response.I am willing to pay your asking price.I will pay by money order as its the only way i can pay you at the moment.I will make arrangement for the pick-up after payment have been received by you. I dont mind adding an extra twenty dollars so you can keep it in my favor.Reply with your full name,cell phone number,and address where payment should be sent.Please take the posting off craigslist today and consider it sold to me.
Expecting to hear from you soon.
Regards
Jerry

Every email i responded to, i recieved this in return....

apparently this is a huge scam where people actually DO send information, and the emailer will send you a check over night....you can go to the bank and cash the check, and they will arrange for item pickup, and 2 weeks later you get busted for having a fake check. I read this online in numerous forums, people are unbelievable now a days

I read up on it, i didnt fall for it, but im sure many many manyyy people have fallen for it, only to get themselves in serious trouble...

When I was selling my wheels I got about 5 of those emails. The thing that set me off to it is when I emailed them about who would pick it up, I got no response.

Common

Established Member
Tell him you will ship it as soon as he buys some Ocean front property you are selling in Nebraska.

CPViolation

Car Crazy
Established Member
I play with those fools.
My name is XXX, I'm the executor of the XX estate. You are entitled to xxx.
I'll email with something like, "Oh fantastic, I'm rich!!"
Then say, "please phone me ASAP."
Here's my phone number:
(202)324-3000.
That is the main FBI phone number. :>

JetmechF16

Under Pressure
Established Member
Premium Member
Top Shelf Gentlemen
The only way I sell or buy on Craigslist is to meet face to face and exchange funds/goods. All of the major appliances in my house were found on that site.

ampstang

Nobody F's w/ a Lion
Established Member
We should nuke Nigeria because of this. THIS...IS...SPARTA!!! Sorry, I just watched that movie for the first time.

LSUstang05

Established Member
Nigerians would make awesome accountants or even professors.

Only if you could understand them. that's the worst thing about foreign profs...you can't understand a damn word they say and they expect you to be able to follow their broken english well enough to take notes :bash:

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
+10000 on report to paypal,

then keep thread alive by keeping us updated on screwing with "nigerians"

Users who are viewing this thread