Craigslist scam or not?

SNAKE CHARM

Alcohol Fueled Brutality
Established Member
Need your opinion on this one..I will try to sum it up as quick as I can. I posted a guitar on Craigslist for $750.00 I get the typical I am interested take it off Craiglist and I will buy it and send my mover to come and pick it up. I play along they guy said to take an extra $ 50.00 for my troubles and emails me back apologizing that his secretary made the check out for $ 2950.00 once it clears to wiregram him back the difference? red flag right there. So I just received the check Via Fed Ex Priority today and it looks totally legit! HSBC bank Legit company name, water mark on the check. So now do I deposit it in a bank account I never use or have funds in and wait for it to clear? or just forget about it. Has anyone ever done this?

99S_V_T

Established Member
careful on that one ive herd alot of people getting screwed with this. send his check back and make him write you one with the correct amount. and dont give him anything till that check clears.

jnaquin4

Established Member
I would call HSBC and ask them if it is a legit check. If they say it is legit I would still wait till it clears.

swoosh_stang

I'm not evil, Trust Me
Established Member
Unfortunately, it looks like HSBC doesn't have any branches near you.

https://www.banking.us.hsbc.com/HICServlet?cmd_GetUSMap=&accept-language=en-US

If they did I would suggest taking it to an HSBC branch and telling them what happened and seeing if they will cash it.

As it sits, call HSBC tell them the situation and ask if they can verify that the check is valid.

I am 99.9% sure that it is a scam.

03'Darin

Established Member
I'm pretty sure you're not serious. Just in case you are :bash: Think about this...... who the phuck would send $2000 dollars extra in a payment to someone they don't even know and just say "send me the difference back when it clears".

Come on dude....

SNAKE CHARM

Alcohol Fueled Brutality
Established Member
I would call HSBC and ask them if it is a legit check. If they say it is legit I would still wait till it clears.

+1, I did the phone number on the check is good for the bank so I left a message @ that extension.

129saleen

Saleen poster
Established Member
The check will clear in your bank.. then a week later you will have mail saying you owe the bank $3000... GL.

DONT DO IT

SNAKE CHARM

Alcohol Fueled Brutality
Established Member
I'm pretty sure you're not serious. Just in case you are :bash: Think about this...... who the phuck would send $2000 dollars extra in a payment to someone they don't even know and just say "send me the difference back when it clears".

Come on dude....

:lol: You guy's have me rolling.. The only thing I can do is deposit it in an account I have set up for ebay only that have no funds in it if it clears which I doubt but hell i just want to call this guy's bluff. The guitar goes no where.

SNAKE CHARM

Alcohol Fueled Brutality
Established Member
The check will clear in your bank.. then a week later you will have mail saying you owe the bank $3000... GL.

DONT DO IT

I guess my question is if there are funds in this account per say and it clears and gets deposited in my account..How can the bank come back and say I owe them? I will go to the bank tomorrow, But I am 98% sure it is just a scam I just thought I would through it out there.

spyder1337

It's LEGIT
Established Member
It's a scam, the check will clear or funds will show up in your account. A week later once it's gone through and found out it's a fake, you'll be ****ed. Most banks have a verification of checks based on what bank the check appears to be from, or the certain holding period. Once that check is sent to such bank, then that bank clears it at first before it's actually attempted to be withdrawn from that persons account, as i'm most certainly positive when that account is not in their system.. that's when the fun starts and you will want to have not touched any of the money.

SNAKE CHARM

Alcohol Fueled Brutality
Established Member
It's a scam, the check will clear or funds will show up in your account. A week later once it's gone through and found out it's a fake, you'll be ****ed. Most banks have a verification of checks based on what bank the check appears to be from, or the certain holding period. Once that check is sent to such bank, then that bank clears it at first before it's actually attempted to be withdrawn from that persons account, as i'm most certainly positive when that account is not in their system.. that's when the fun starts and you will want to have not touched any of the money.

I appreciate the input, not going to do anything I'll regret for sure just wanted a little input to see what people thought, and I certainly was not going to wire any money back...that's for Dayum sure.

03-SilverSnake

Established Member
Total scam ... had a dude try the exact same thing on me last year.. wad that check up and toss it in the trash !

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread