cracked intake manifold question

ryanjoachim

Established Member
ok well i have a 97 mustang gt automatic. the other day i was driving it kinda hard and i was toying around with it down in first and second gear. long story short i was going about 10 downshifted it to first took off and at about 4k rpms i look down at my dash and my light is on i look up and theres smoke pouring out of my hood. i pull over and look back down the road and theres a trial of fluid on the ground open the hood and water and shit all over the engine bay etc. found out my intake manifold had about a 2 inch crack in it. it is plastic which i later found out the ford had a flaw in it and moved onto aluminum question is. is me driving my car in first and second gear with a automatic. could this have caused the problem? i dont do it often just when i wanna **** around since i can get more power in the gears? :\

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
Poor design/Design flaw......that's all.

Not that downshifting and F'ing around all the time is a good idea.

Besides, 97 GT Auto's dont' have enough damage to hurt the drivetrain. :lol: :beer:

rustyred79

Established Member
yea the stock ones suck I have replaced five in the past few weeks for different people all due to cracking most of the time somewhere around the thermostat housing.

ryanjoachim

Established Member
yea the stock ones suck I have replaced five in the past few weeks for different people all due to cracking most of the time somewhere around the thermostat housing.

mine was exactly right behind the alternator i now have one that is aluminum in the front and plastic in the back which the mechanic said was fine because if the do crack or whatever its always in the front

spike_africa

Established Member
Sounds like a good time to upgrade to a PI intake manifold with the metal coolant crossover, found on all late 01-04 2v GT's. Even though it is a PI intake manifold with some sealant you can bolt it onto your NON-PI heads and gain some power too.

Can't beat that.

DsilverM

Established Member
This happened to me too, I was doing some burn outs and when I shifted to second smoke and fluid was going everywhere. I later found out Ford had a recall on the manifolds, but it ended six months before mine broke! I was so pissed

Evil4Eye

Schizophrenic SVT Poster
Established Member
Very common problem, if memory serves there was a class action lawsuit about 5 years ago. The factory replacement has an aluminum front crossover to help fix the problem, I would look into a aftermarket all aluminum manifold if I were you, they are a bit pricey but worth it in the long run. :beer:

Gallows

Make My Day... N/A
Established Member
Sounds like a good time to upgrade to a PI intake manifold with the metal coolant crossover, found on all late 01-04 2v GT's. Even though it is a PI intake manifold with some sealant you can bolt it onto your NON-PI heads and gain some power too.

Can't beat that.

Very common problem, if memory serves there was a class action lawsuit about 5 years ago. The factory replacement has an aluminum front crossover to help fix the problem, I would look into a aftermarket all aluminum manifold if I were you, they are a bit pricey but worth it in the long run. :beer:

I'd do one of the above when you get it fixed.

CleanNGreen96

4v GT
Established Member
The one on my 96 trooped it out for a long time. Untill I ended up cracking it my self w/ a little N20 backfire. I ended up JB Welding it and it lasted for a couple of years an alot of abuse.

Lasted long enough untill I could save up for my 4v...

CleanNGreen96

4v GT
Established Member
Defenitley ! I've had many wet dreams :bowdown: of that Professional Products Polished piece sitting under My Accufab huffing through my BBK. Good looking solid piece. But the $$ kinda kept me away from it though. Used that $$ an just bought a 4v :shrug:

spike_africa

Established Member
Or just get a cheaper PI intake with a metal coolant crossover found on late 01-04 2v cars.

Aftermarket intake manifolds don't do hardly enough on the 2v. They aren't worth the cost at all.

glenner

glenner
Established Member
If you want a cheap fix from the sound of it. check your local ford dealer they may have them. A few are not faring so well in this market closing and selling what they have left on the shelf for discount prices. Check around you can find that intake for half of retail.

spike_africa

Established Member
How about a P-51 intake?

Its a nice setup but it costs alot more then $500 and you need to have big cams, ported heads, and long tubes with full exhaust to get any real use out of it. Just not worth the money unless your going for a hardcore n/a 2v which is stupid considering how small our motors are.

CleanNGreen96

4v GT
Established Member
Actually the P51 an the PP Intakes are SO worth it, if you feel like forking over the $$. You can actually port the runners on these bad boy's an pick up an extra 18-15 HP just from a etching out the runners.

My boy had strapped on TEA heads, Comp XE274H cams (dialed in), L/T's and a PI Int. Manif. An put down 343 RWHP. On a 98 2v. Not very hardcore, but a very efficient combo at that....

Users who are viewing this thread