Cracked Camshaft Holder

CzchMex

Established Member
Not sure what it is called but it's the top part that screws down onto the camshaft. There are two per camshaft and held down by 6 bolts.

I noticed that it is cracked right where it meets the piece that bolts in. Would this crack cause any problems? It's not a fracture it's a complete break and no longer flush

ViciousBlack97

Established Member
If you're talking about this: Cam Caps.png
,then yes, it's definitely an issue. The cam cap itself could fracture the rest of the way, and wreck your cam and/or valvetrain. How long has it been fractured?

Last edited:

Helomech74

Established Member
Depending on where it's cracked, just cut it out and don't worry about it. Most all of mine have been cut or clearanced in some fashion or another due to running higher lift cams that hit the caps, so it's not a big deal.

CzchMex

Established Member
Yes that's it. It has many names once I began doing research. Girdle. Cap. Holder. Retainer. Etc...

Not sure how long it's been cracked. I tore the engine down to identify a ticking noise that is either the lash adjuster or chain tensioner. Since its higher pitched I think it's a lash adjuster. They've been replace before (previous owner) but after I purchased the car I soon realized how piss poor the previous owner did things.

I have driven the car 30,000 miles since purchase. It's had the tick for 28,000 of those 30. I have never pulled the valve covers off. So not sure how long it's been like that. I do know that the bolt closest to the fracture has a burnt oil smell. The lash adjuster right below it also has a barber pole style etching going around and up the nub of the adjuster. That area where the crack is at smells of burnt oil. No where else does.

I'm guessing the ticking of the lash adjuster caused it to fracture then caused excessive heat to do that? I have no clue.

There is a shop here in Houston that specializes in welding just aluminum. I'm going to see if he can fix it. I'm not paying for another head. The other option is cutting it out as some people have done.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread