Crack = Big oil leak... Please help!!!

BoosT_AddicT

BOOOSTIFIED!
Established Member
Hey guys, I really need your help...

I finally finished my truck up tonight and I was so happy. I had the biggest smile on my face right after I started it up after being apart on jack stands for weeks. In any case everything went well until I looked under the truck for exhaust leaks since I put on long tubes and a new catback. As I look under the last thing I expected to see was a HUGE puddle of oil. I shut it off immediately and started to track down the leak. I found that it is coming from where the factory oil pressure sender is located. It seams it was over tightened and then a hairline crack occurred directly above the oil pressure sender port. I believe the crack goes into where the pressure sensor is threaded.

So my question is what should I do? How do I go about fixing this? Any ideas and or words of wisdom would really help... I'm so heartbroken right now, I just want to go to sleep and forget about it. Grrrrrrrrrrr. :fm:

uncooked

Established Member
Got pics???

Having a hard time picturing it in my head. Are you saying there is a hairline crack above the sender bung in the actual block ?

BoosT_AddicT

BOOOSTIFIED!
Established Member
Got pics???

Having a hard time picturing it in my head. Are you saying there is a hairline crack above the sender bung in the actual block ?

Yes that's correct... But it almost looks like where the sender port is located is not part of the block. Or is it?

Pleas tell me it's not... :xpl:

BoosT_AddicT

BOOOSTIFIED!
Established Member
The crack is where the red line is in the pic...

oil_sender.jpg

rubber duck

Established Member
Not really familiar with the 5.4 mod motors, but I'll try to help because I know the sinking feeling.

Sounds like you cracked the bung itself. If the bung is on a "sandwich" plate that bolts to the block just get a new plate. If the bung is cast into the block and you don't see anywhere the bung can be detached from the block then yes, unfortunately it's part of the block. If that's the case and you don't feel like springing for a new block, clean up the area around the crack really good and JB weld the ever living shit out of it and cover it with RTV. When you thread the sending unit back in RTV the piss out of it. Top it off with oil again and have a buddy start it up first and then rev it to build oil pressure while you watch for any leaks. It's hillbilly but it'll work.

Last edited:

BoosT_AddicT

BOOOSTIFIED!
Established Member
Not really familiar with the 5.4 mod motors, but I'll try to help because I know the sinking feeling.

Sounds like you cracked the bung itself. If the bung is on a "sandwich" plate that bolts to the block just get a new plate. If the bung is cast into the block and you don't see anywhere the bung can be detached from the block then yes, unfortunately it's part of the block. If that's the case and you don't feel like springing for a new block, clean up the area around the crack really good and JB weld the ever living shit out of it and cover it with RTV. When you thread the sending unit back in RTV the piss out of it. Top it off with oil again and have a buddy start it up first and then rev it to build oil pressure while you watch for any leaks. It's hillbilly but it'll work.

The sad thing is I just might go this route... JB Weld to the rescue!

Does anyone have the part number for the oil cooler manifold? :shrug:

RIDE THE

Shake & Bake
Established Member
No, 6A642 is the actual oil cooler where the oil filter screws onto. There are two different pieces that make up the oil cooler.

The adapter that you need is YC3Z*6881*DA and gasket F6AZ*6840*BA.

Adapter is $135.62 and gasket is 6.48. Both are 10% over cost.

BoosT_AddicT

BOOOSTIFIED!
Established Member
No, 6A642 is the actual oil cooler where the oil filter screws onto. There are two different pieces that make up the oil cooler.

The adapter that you need is YC3Z*6881*DA and gasket F6AZ*6840*BA.

Adapter is $135.62 and gasket is 6.48. Both are 10% over cost.

Awesome... Thanks again bud! :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread