CPU debate: AMD Bulldozer Vs Intel Sandy bridge

NewKid

Aliens
Established Member
So I've been piecing together a new build online the last couple of weeks for a high-end rig and am stuck on the processor. I'm looking at either the 8150 or waiting on the 8170 from AMD, or the i7 - 2600/2700 (possibly the i5 - 2500) from Intel.

Now, it would seem like Intel would be the easy choice because of the Bulldozers disappointing performance, especially when compared to both the competition and AMDs own previous processor, the Phenom series. However, this Vpro non-sense on the Intel CPUs is bothering me...a lot.

For those that don't know, basically the Vpro was put in for companies to benefit their IT department by allowing easy access to...well, everything remotely. In fact, it can even connect to 3G, so if your rig is off, and disconnected from the internet, you can still use Vpro as a backdoor. It's basically a remote access key logger. It also seems that Vpro can't be turned off.

Out of principle I want to go with AMD, but AMD is just so....disappointing right now that it's hard to see that being the right option either.

No, obviously, what I'll be using the computer for would determine the hardware I put in it. I'll be using this for pretty much everything. I multi task a lot and game a lot. So I'll be running everything on high, but I'll also be doing video editing, capturing footage from games I'm playing live (like Fraps), all while music is going, I'm on the internet, using a VOIP, etc. So, strictly speaking, I don't NEED something higher than say the i5 -2500, but because of what I'll be doing eventually, from time to time, I want something like the i7 or 8150/8170 for when I really do get into multi-tasking.

Something else to take into account is overclocking. Both have been doing well it seems when it comes to overclocking, but it actually looks like the AMDs are faring slightly better. So, one solution is to go with the AMD and overclock it (I'll be building my new rig with cooling in mind). Which was really something I was planning on doing all along, regardless of which CPU I went with.

So I'd like to hear some opinions from the PC guys here. Thanks.:beer:

WireEater

Dumpster Baby
Established Member
There is no debate anymore. Intel is way ahead of the game in CPU power. AMD is best for budget system but an Intel will always be the better choice. You get what you pay for. The i5 2500K is still the best bang-for-your buck processor. They were going for 170$ or so last week on a sale some where.

Last edited:

NewKid

Aliens
Established Member
There is no debate anymore. Intel is way ahead of the game in CPU power. AMD is best for budget system but an Intel will always be the better choice. You get what you pay for. The i5 2500K is still the best bang-for-your buck processor. They were going for 170$ or so last week on a sale some where.

I agree. Like I said, easy choice would be the Intel; and you're right about the 2500 being an awesome CPU for the money, but the Vpro BS is still holding me back from jumping on it right away.

NyteByte

Pro-Freedom
Established Member
Intel stomps on AMD as far as performance and efficiency goes.
That wasn't always the case when AMD held the lead back in the Pentium 4 / AMD Athlon days. But those days are long gone and AMD hasn't had a significant breakthrough that can touch Intel since.

As far as vPro, you can disable it in the BIOS, so I wouldn't let that bother you. I have hundreds of vPro capable machines here at my office and I've got it disabled on all of them at the moment.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
why worry about the vpro? What, someones gonna backdoor your rig to watch you play BF3?

I always thought intels had this ability since the P3 days.

hunterp

Established Member
No reason to worry about vPro. Without going into the how's and why's of what's needed to access it remotely, there are attack vectors much more convenient to hackers. Like was stated above, just turn it off in the bios if it bothers you.

If you're willing to wait a bit, the Ivy Bridge processors will be out early next year. Skip AMD right now, they made some assumptions about multi-threading that came back to bite them and now they have a generation of crappy processors they won't be able to give away.

astrodudepsu

1of72 Hater
Established Member
just depends on how much you are willing to spend. but if i was going to buy today i'd go with a 2500k.

And vpro is great! it allowed us to get rid of a shitload of old kvm switches at work. gotta love realVNC.

NewKid

Aliens
Established Member
Intel stomps on AMD as far as performance and efficiency goes.
That wasn't always the case when AMD held the lead back in the Pentium 4 / AMD Athlon days. But those days are long gone and AMD hasn't had a significant breakthrough that can touch Intel since.

As far as vPro, you can disable it in the BIOS, so I wouldn't let that bother you. I have hundreds of vPro capable machines here at my office and I've got it disabled on all of them at the moment.

You sure? Vpro, from what I understand, is greyed-out int he bios, and no one seems to have successfully been able to turn it off.

[ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_vPro]Intel vPro - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame] Go to 5.1 in the article.

Source for the wiki: Big Brother potentially exists right now in our PCs, compliments of Intel's vPro | TG Daily

No reason to worry about vPro. Without going into the how's and why's of what's needed to access it remotely, there are attack vectors much more convenient to hackers. Like was stated above, just turn it off in the bios if it bothers you.

If you're willing to wait a bit, the Ivy Bridge processors will be out early next year. Skip AMD right now, they made some assumptions about multi-threading that came back to bite them and now they have a generation of crappy processors they won't be able to give away.

Again, it doesn't seem that it can actually be turned off. My problem is that it's just one more vulnerability to my PC. I mean, ok, I live in a great area and I haven't been the victim of an attack, but my mentality is that I would like to keep it that way.

I'm looking to put something together this month, and I don't think we're going to have anything earth-shattering for awhile. Ivy will be cool, and the claims are big, but it also isn't going to be out for sometime.

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
Intel. Those new bulldozer processors consume 40% more power than an i7-2600k, which is pretty ridiculous.

bulldozerpowerconsumption.jpg

I've heard you can overclock an i7-2600k to 5ghz and still consume less power than the new bulldozer processors.

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
To add to that, AMD has stopped Phenom II production, and prices have already gone up.
And last but not least I've read that AMD is out of consumer (gaming) cpu market.
Gonna look that up to make sure..

Guy Fawkes

Established Member

In a nutshell. This.

NewKid

Aliens
Established Member
Still haven't found a way to turn off vpro.

Like I said in the OP, this would be an easy choice if Intel didn't have this bs on here.

Hmbre97

Eaton powered
Established Member
Still haven't found a way to turn off vpro.

Like I said in the OP, this would be an easy choice if Intel didn't have this bs on here.

Jesus guy, why did you start the thread if you've already made up your mind? You ask people for opinions, everyone tells you Intel shits all over AMD now but you keep bitching about vPro.

If you want an inferior processor, get the AMD so you don't have to worry about vPro.

NewKid

Aliens
Established Member
Jesus guy, why did you start the thread if you've already made up your mind? You ask people for opinions, everyone tells you Intel shits all over AMD now but you keep bitching about vPro.

If you want an inferior processor, get the AMD so you don't have to worry about vPro.

Clearly I haven't made up my mind. My stance was right in the OP:

Now, it would seem like Intel would be the easy choice because of the Bulldozers disappointing performance, especially when compared to both the competition and AMDs own previous processor, the Phenom series. However, this Vpro non-sense on the Intel CPUs is bothering me...a lot.

The hope was someone either knew how to disable Vpro, or perhaps convince me that AMD could still be a good choice. Vpro was one of the main reasons I started the thread, but no one seems to have really addressed it, now have they? If they say I "I turned it off" and I say "It doesn't look like you can..." that's not really a complete conversation. If I put "Vpro" in the title, would you sleep better?

Regardless, thank you for your valuable imput.:bored:

hunterp

Established Member
Clearly I haven't made up my mind. My stance was right in the OP:

The hope was someone either knew how to disable Vpro, or perhaps convince me that AMD could still be a good choice. Vpro was one of the main reasons I started the thread, but no one seems to have really addressed it, now have they? If they say I "I turned it off" and I say "It doesn't look like you can..." that's not really a complete conversation. If I put "Vpro" in the title, would you sleep better?

Regardless, thank you for your valuable imput.:bored:

You may not be able to completely disable vPro, but it's also not an open invitation for someone to come in and violate your machine. vPro and AMT need to configured with their own IP address and you should be able to set a password for out of band access to the vPro functions. Just don't set an IP address for it and come up with some bat-shit crazy password for it. You're spending way too much time worrying about this. It's a lot easier for someone to send you an email payload or convince you to click a link on a website.

NewKid

Aliens
Established Member
You may not be able to completely disable vPro, but it's also not an open invitation for someone to come in and violate your machine. vPro and AMT need to configured with their own IP address and you should be able to set a password for out of band access to the vPro functions. Just don't set an IP address for it and come up with some bat-shit crazy password for it. You're spending way too much time worrying about this. It's a lot easier for someone to send you an email payload or convince you to click a link on a website.

Ha, I agree.

Thanks for the info! Looking into it.:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread