Coyote vs Boss IM for nitrous cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rotarymagic

Established Member
Has anyone done back to back testing on the gains or losses of changing the intake manifold specific to a nitrous application in the 150+ shot range?

JUIC3D

Boost Junkie
Established Member
Stock manifold makes more torque--something a nitrous car doesn't usually lack, so IMO, the boss is a better nitrous intake. For an N/A application though, I think the stock manifold and 3.73 gear combo is tough to beat.

Need4Speed03

Established Member
Something to think about...mainly for wet systems...

I went with the Boss IM before I sprayed because I like the way its designed. Its sort of like a mini tunnel ram with the plenum on top and the runners down to the heads. I felt this would work better for spray (getting equal amounts per cylinder and less chance of "fuel puddling").

The stock intake has the plenum on the bottom and the ports pull from the top and arc around to the other side and then down to the head. I personally didn't think this was good for spray and could potentially cause "fuel puddling" in the intake which could lead to a backfire and a blown to pieces intake.

Remember these intake weren't designed to flow fuel through them.

That's why I chose the Boss IM. I've gone faster on motor with it also.

Voltwings

Established Member
I'd like to bump this thread just to increase my understanding of using nitrous. Obviously the boss manifold sees its increases from revving higher, lets just say you're shifting at 7500 to still be semi conservative. Lets also say you have your nitrous kit on your 5.0 on a window switch, how would you want it set up? Would you want to spray all the way to like 7300-7400 to shift at 7500, or would you want it to stop sooner? On that note, would you even want to spray that high on a stock 5.0 motor anyway?

JUIC3D

Boost Junkie
Established Member
I'd like to bump this thread just to increase my understanding of using nitrous. Obviously the boss manifold sees its increases from revving higher, lets just say you're shifting at 7500 to still be semi conservative. Lets also say you have your nitrous kit on your 5.0 on a window switch, how would you want it set up? Would you want to spray all the way to like 7300-7400 to shift at 7500, or would you want it to stop sooner? On that note, would you even want to spray that high on a stock 5.0 motor anyway?

Everyone has their own set of preferences with nitrous. The following is my preference but is not necessarily recommended for everyone.

I don't use a window switch. I prefer the 'less is more' approach with regards to electronics and potentials for malfunctions. My nitrous is activated off the gas pedal. WOT=nitrous comes on(if bottle in car and system armed)

I spray until I shift gears and let off the throttle. Higher rpm's aren't a bad thing for nitrous. Hell, the higher the rpm, the less chance you have at bending a rod with high cylinder pressures. Nitrous motors love rpm :banana:

Voltwings

Established Member
Everyone has their own set of preferences with nitrous. The following is my preference but is not necessarily recommended for everyone.

I don't use a window switch. I prefer the 'less is more' approach with regards to electronics and potentials for malfunctions. My nitrous is activated off the gas pedal. WOT=nitrous comes on(if bottle in car and system armed)

I spray until I shift gears and let off the throttle. Higher rpm's aren't a bad thing for nitrous. Hell, the higher the rpm, the less chance you have at bending a rod with high cylinder pressures. Nitrous motors love rpm :banana:

Yeah, i can understand the simplicity approach, but Zex sells a pretty nifty window switch that can be activated by gear as well. Basically it'll function as a normal RPM window switch, but wont start spraying until i get into 3rd gear. I know you dont want to hit the rev limiter when spraying, which is why im not sure how far to set the switch from my shift point, i dont want to have it too far off and suddenly lose ~75 horsepower before my shift, but i dont want to run the risk of a back fire either... you gotta be on your driver mod game with Nitrous it seems haha.

JUIC3D

Boost Junkie
Established Member
You definitely have to respect it, that's for sure. Ya, that Zex box sounds pretty cool until something electronic inside of it fails and it doesn't work anymore. That's all I'm saying. I like microswitches and that's about it.

I can tell you this. Ya, you don't want to bang off the rev limiter with the nitrous spraying, but it's not like if you clip it, the car suddenly explodes. I've hit it a few times with the nitrous spraying and it doesn't hurt anything. You don't want to make it a habit but the car isn't going to melt to the ground if you touch it. lol

Molonlabemike

Established Member
I spray from 3000 to 7400 with a window switch as I can't shift quick enough from a dig. I'm launching at 6k and I seam to hit the rev limited for a brief moment. I also run the boss manifold as I have been told it better disperses the nitrous.

JUIC3D

Boost Junkie
Established Member
I'll also say that you won't feel the nitrous shut off at say 7300rpm if you're shifting at 7500. You won't even notice it at all. So, if that helps ease your mind, then by all means, go for it :)

badbiach

"Frame Twistin!"
Established Member
I'll also say that you won't feel the nitrous shut off at say 7300rpm if you're shifting at 7500. You won't even notice it at all. So, if that helps ease your mind, then by all means, go for it :)

Are you not worried about your electronic throttle closing? I would at least run a second electronic full throttle switch off of the throttle body. I get the dreaded, "throttle close" sometimes in my 13 auto.

JUIC3D

Boost Junkie
Established Member
Are you not worried about your electronic throttle closing? I would at least run a second electronic full throttle switch off of the throttle body. I get the dreaded, "throttle close" sometimes in my 13 auto.

Advance track off and I don't have an issue. I've been spraying the car like this for about 10 months with 0 issues to date. Sometimes the computer takes over on the launch and clutch protection kicks in and closes the throttle. It's not common but if I'm a bit rusty on my launch and pussy foot out of the hole, it can happen. I just let off the gas if that happens and abort the run. No big deal.

YRMV... I'm not saying it's the only way, it's just my preferred way to run the nitrous.

Voltwings

Established Member
Good info ... im just gonna go F&F style and spray with a button :rockon: haha. I dont know, i'll figure out what i want to do eventually. Knowing it doesnt just tank after you stop spraying helps, i figured once it stops spraying it would be this just massive loss of horsepower.

JUIC3D

Boost Junkie
Established Member
Good info ... im just gonna go F&F style and spray with a button :rockon: haha. I dont know, i'll figure out what i want to do eventually. Knowing it doesnt just tank after you stop spraying helps, i figured once it stops spraying it would be this just massive loss of horsepower.

It is a massive drop--you would see it on a dyno graph if you sprayed then shut off 200 or 500 rpm before the end of the run, but in the real world you won't feel it since the rpm's rise so quickly in a race. By the time the kit shuts off at 7300, you're already at 7500, shifting to the next gear, and back in the throttle with the nitrous spraying again. :rockon:

Voltwings

Established Member
It is a massive drop--you would see it on a dyno graph if you sprayed then shut off 200 or 500 rpm before the end of the run, but in the real world you won't feel it since the rpm's rise so quickly in a race. By the time the kit shuts off at 7300, you're already at 7500, shifting to the next gear, and back in the throttle with the nitrous spraying again. :rockon:

I was looking at it purely from a dyno standpoint, but that is still a relief. I'm likely not going to go over 50-75 shot, just want a little extra oomph, but not trying to set any records. I may look more into the micro switch, but id like the ability to maybe mess around with the nitrous on the street without having to be in 3rd gear to make sure i dont blow the tires off you know. Im quite gear savvy, been tuning boost and stuff for years, but trying to learn nitrous is like trying to learn a foriegn language haha so much to it.

JUIC3D

Boost Junkie
Established Member
I was looking at it purely from a dyno standpoint, but that is still a relief. I'm likely not going to go over 50-75 shot, just want a little extra oomph, but not trying to set any records. I may look more into the micro switch, but id like the ability to maybe mess around with the nitrous on the street without having to be in 3rd gear to make sure i dont blow the tires off you know. Im quite gear savvy, been tuning boost and stuff for years, but trying to learn nitrous is like trying to learn a foriegn language haha so much to it.

It's all relative. Boost and stuff is foreign to me but nitrous makes perfect sense and I 'get it' to the point where I can explain and teach others. I had a lot of help from a local trusted friend of mine when I was getting started and still look to him for advice if I'm not sure about something.

Jday14

Established Member
It's all relative. Boost and stuff is foreign to me but nitrous makes perfect sense and I 'get it' to the point where I can explain and teach others. I had a lot of help from a local trusted friend of mine when I was getting started and still look to him for advice if I'm not sure about something.

Not trying to hijack thread but what are your thoughts on a wet vs dry kit I have really been considering getting the reaper kit from bbr with there tune and run maybe a 75 shot? I know that they each have there pros and cons but just looking for your opinion as you seem to have a lot of experience with nitrous!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread