Coyote swap or 427w?

STi

Established Member
I'm new into mustang and I wanted to ask the experienced ones which route would be better and why?

Buying a 427w dart crate engine is around 8-12k
a "stock" coyote swap is around the same for what I've seen... However the 427w would get MUCH higher whp/tq number but as for drivability and MPG the coyote would win hands down.. But I've also seen coyote engines close to 500whp with bolt-ons and cams so I'm kinda in the middle in which would me the better route..
Plans are to achieve 10sec. 1/4mile times being N/A, driving to and from the strip with some occasional mexico runs and some "I just feel like driving" drives. And maybe some laps at local track days..

I would like to know your opinions on this...

Last edited:

95PGTTech

Established Member
The Coyote swap is the new "in" thing now so you will find lots of support for it I'm sure. Those motors can make great power with bolt ons or power adders. It really depends on what you want to do with the car and how laws are in PR.

If it were me, and it sounds like you're building more of a fun than practical car, I'd go with the Dart. It's a built longblock you'll never need to touch again, simple to install and wire. Anything you could/can do to the Coyote you could do to it cheaper and get better gains from.

STi

Established Member
how reliable are those dart 427w in terms on longetivity...?
I know they are quite good at handling power, but at being streetable? Long drives? heavy traffic? how are they?

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
That's easy 427W.. Or 408W.. Then throw a blower or turbo on it!!! That's the route I'll be going if this motor ever goes.. Solid roller, high compression, 408W :burnout:

w3bb3r04

Slow 3v Member
Established Member
I know a guy who had a Dart 427 build in a 93 GT with twin 60's and that Mother was bad! It made 750 rwhp on 10 psi and 93 octance. Thats my choice haha

flS/R

Established Member
check out the story about coyote swaps in this month's hot rod magazine. There is a fox body which has received this treatment as well as a first gen mustang and first gen thunderbird.

cobra=trouble

Established Member
cubes , 427. you have any specs on this engine?
I have a flat top pistoned 408W victor jr heads,solid roller cam.etc
runs 11.20's @124 ,and my nitrous pass.is in my sig. only have 70 miles on this engine.I love it, but would love with big bore dart block

truebluedevil02

Captain Jackstands
Established Member
Sadly to say, go with a turbo 5.3 LS swap. I'm picking up a 93 4cyl coupe this next weekend to do this exact thing. You cant beat a $500, aluminum headed junkyard motor that will hold over 700whp on the stock heads and shortblock. Even if you blow it up, your only out a $500 motor and a weekend of labor to get it running again. I have never liked "mixing breeds" but its performance that simply cant be beat, and so cheap that it cant be argued.

Users who are viewing this thread