Coyote swap in a 2002 Expedition

Ariescain21

Is it possible to swap a 5.0L or 5 2l supercharge into a 2002 ford expedition Eb 5.4l 4x4. I know the suspension and brakes will need upgraded. I want to keep it 4x4.
I hadn't witnessed a engine swap in a First Gen Expedition.

poisoned apple

Established Member
I would recommend asking that in the generic coyote swap forum. This is mustang specific

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member
Why a coyote? It will be literally 10x easier to just do a lightning 5.4L supercharger set up. Everything is a direct bolt in. No fab work, no rewiring, no re-engineering the fuel system.

Ariescain21

I'm have some experience turning wrenches. Lol I got all the basic mechanics tools air compressor tools. Torque wrenches and impacts. Although I not skill in understanding Specs of the engines tunes and etc..... I can read and follow instructions when it comes to installation of things. I heard I could put a bigger crank shaft, Pistons, valve springs, intake manifold, heads and long exhaust heads to gain more power. I assume I will need to add some tougher gear plates in the transmission and a different rear end gear. I want it still to be able to go into 4x4.

Ariescain21

Why a coyote? It will be literally 10x easier to just do a lightning 5.4L supercharger set up. Everything is a direct bolt in. No fab work, no rewiring, no re-engineering the fuel system.
Aw I didn't know. That's what I was trying to figure out what will be the best swap with the less or no fabrication. So the 5.4L supercharge is a 2v or 3v. They have the same harness as the 02 Ford Expedition. The factory fuel lines filter and fuel pump can handle the demand of a supercharger.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Aw I didn't know. That's what I was trying to figure out what will be the best swap with the less or no fabrication. So the 5.4L supercharge is a 2v or 3v. They have the same harness as the 02 Ford Expedition. The factory fuel lines filter and fuel pump can handle the demand of a supercharger.

A Gen 2 Lightning swap is nearly a direct bolt-in. You will have to modify the fuel system. What trans does your expedition have? I don't remember that off the top of my head.

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member

the expedition and lightning both have 5.4L 2v. The lightning supercharger set up will bolt on no problem in 1 afternoon. you will likely need 40lb/hr injectors and a boost a pump

the 5.0L coyote will be a very difficult swap. Nothing fits basically, requires signification fabrication and the coyote ECM will not communicate with your factory cluster or GEM module. Major PITA to get everything working correctly. Good luck if you wish to go down this road

01performanceredvertsnake

Established Member
I need to find the channel, someone swapped one into a first gen Harley truck and got it to work with the factory cluster. It bolted in right in and they used a lot of power by the hour swap components. Headers were a big issue.

I’d love to see you do it because I have a 99 exp and got 2 coyotes cheap haha

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
expedition has a 4r70w

4R100 is a super duty spec trans that came in f250/350, excursion and a modified case version for the svt lightning

Am I remembering correctly that 1st Gen Navi had a 4R100? It's been forever since I looked into this stuff.

BOOGIE MAN

Logic and Reason
Established Member
I thought the navigator was 4v? Isn't that the head swap the lightning crowd did if they wanted 4v? Navi heads?

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member
Am I remembering correctly that 1st Gen Navi had a 4R100? It's been forever since I looked into this stuff.
looks like i was mistaken. The 5.4L expeditions did in fact have 4r100 looks like the 4r70 only came with the 4.6l trucks

either way this isnt an easy engine swap

expY 02

Is it possible to swap a 5.0L or 5 2l supercharge into a 2002 ford expedition Eb 5.4l 4x4. I know the suspension and brakes will need upgraded. I want to keep it 4x4.
I hadn't witnessed an engine swap in a First Gen Expedition.
Have you found the Lighting engine? Check out Ford expedition forum; some one was selling one in 2014; but describes in detail all the stuff they did to it! Let me know if you do find an engine; I have an 02, 4.6 Expy! Thinking of doing the same!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread