Coyote ENGINE - Ford tackles GM and HEMI

onlyAgtWalkinU

The Ford 4.6 is a very good engine - I have one. Never a problem and with cheap, simple mods - I walk GTOs (yes, the new 350 and 400hp versions). Mine is a "heavy drop-top" with a "slow" automatic. 2007 GT.

The new 302 is NOT bringing back the old pushrod 302, it is and ALL NEW 306 CUBIC INCH 32 valve MONSTER. Don't forget a good rule-of-thumb: 10hp =100lbs

In other words, a camaro that has for example only, not actual numbers: a 3800lb 430hp would be 400lbs (or 40hp) disadvantaged to a 3400lb Mustang GT given the mustang had the same HP. If coyote Mustang GT has the estimated 400 hp then it would have a 10hp advantage (or approx .1sec or 1mph 1/4mile drag time advantage).

As far as the IRS, I've heard nightmares about the IRS in GTO's. SO, is it really better for the kind of car/purpose ... NO. FAST (not quick) cars are mostly ALL solid rear axles for a reason. They can handle the power. A quick tune on a coyote should yield about 450hp and about 600hp with a pump gas blower or 700hp with a kit Turbo. We are talking about GT's here, not SRT8's or SS Camaros .... just a plain jane GT for a lot less $. Ford's already on top with the 4.6/sales/running it's company right/etc. Just imagine when they unleash the Coyote. USA FORD WINS Hide, run and tremble pushrod GM and HEMI lovers.

Trill Gear Head

Established Member
I'm not sure where you've been but in recent weeks the 'coyote' engine has become more speculative. Apparently they never officially admitted that it will come out in the '11 GT's.

All I'm trying to say is I'll believe it when I see it.

blck04gt

Just a stupid GT....
Established Member
I'm not sure where you've been but in recent weeks the 'coyote' engine has become more speculative. Apparently they never officially admitted that it will come out in the '11 GT's.

All I'm trying to say is I'll believe it when I see it.

Actually, I don't think that's true. I believe I read an article about 3 months ago officially announcing that it will be in the 2011 production GT's.

TXPD

Rookie Racer
Established Member
Ford did announce the 2010 Boss 302R which does have the afore mentioned Coyote 400hp 5L 32v engine in it. Its a track/race car, but the engine is there. Its not a big jump to imagine the R removed to a limited edition Boss 302 for the street with the same engine package and then the engine making the jump to mainstream GT in 2011.

Anyway, the engine is not speculative anymore as its been announced in the Boss 302R

TopCat501

Established Member
Ford has not officially announced any engine availability yet for MY 2011

That's why the upcoming LA Auto show is a big deal. Ford will make the drivetrain announcements there. But enough has been leaked that there is no doubt that the 5.0 will be the engine in the 2011 GT.

It's bye-bye to the 4.6 once Ford announces the 5.0

david068513

Established Member
Ford has not officially announced any engine availability yet for MY 2011

That's why the upcoming LA Auto show is a big deal. Ford will make the drivetrain announcements there. But enough has been leaked that there is no doubt that the 5.0 will be the engine in the 2011 GT.

It's bye-bye to the 4.6 once Ford announces the 5.0

You sure they are gonna announce the 5.0 at the LA show?:banana:

Users who are viewing this thread