Coyote crate perplexing, runing like crap

BeanCrusher

Sidetracked yet again.
Established Member
I will say first off: I don't even know enough to be dangerous...

Getting to the home stretch of my Coyote install into my 96 cobra. I should note that, at present the exhaust system ends at the header collectors, and the MAF is in a slightly smaller diameter tube than the stock airbox and I have not dealt with that at all. Using the Ford Racing control pack.

The engine idles nice and smooth, but pretty much falls apart when trying to hold some RPM level higher than idle. Data logging, at idle AFRs and STFTs run around 1.04 and 1.05-.97 respectively. Both banks are nearly the same...within 1%. Pressing the accelerator yields an expected response, however, after a time trying to hold steady at an RPM one bank or the other will go to 1.66 STFT and 1.9-2.0 AFR while the other bank stays within a couple % of 1 STFT and AFR. It will never straighten out unless you return to idle, and occasionally it won't even then unless you stop the engine, either by key or by stalling, and then restart. LTFTs are normally around .95 or so on both banks BTW, and stay close to each other.

I have switch O2s around with no effect. (Plugging the left O2 into the right harness and vice versa does though...most negatively) I do not believe that I have any vacuum leaks, fuel pressure is steady 55psi delta. Which bank is affected is seemingly random. Bank 1 might go off 3 or 4 times in a row, then next time bank 2 will be the one, then back to 1, or maybe 2...I haven't seen anything that lets me predict which will crap, but always one and only one will.

Ideas?

BeanCrusher

Sidetracked yet again.
Established Member
You said the headers end at the collectors? How far from your rear o2's to where the exhaust ends?

Yes, nothing connected to the header collectors...so the exhaust ends about 3 inches past the O2s.

I am suspecting this is the problem. It's definitely "sucking" at the collector in between exhaust exiting, so I'm going to finish up the exhaust before I worry about it too much more.

kln5014

Jack Stand Hero
Established Member
My car ran and revved fine with open headers on the stock control pack tune. I had a JLT intake on it. I only ran it for a minute or two and gave the pedal a few gentle stabs.

I really wouldn't be worried. Get some exhaust on there and order a tune. I've been working with Shaun from AED for the tune, and have been very satisfied. His name is Shaun@AED on here.

BeanCrusher

Sidetracked yet again.
Established Member
I've been laboring under the idea that I would tune the engine myself...but I am not sure how much more of SCT's music on hold I can take just to get their software to run on any of my computers before I just give up...

BeanCrusher

Sidetracked yet again.
Established Member
Just 8 more inches of exhaust plumbing after the headers solved all my issues.

So, now I am off to hit my head on the tuning learning curve.

Users who are viewing this thread