Coyote 4R70W auto swap

pantera408

Established Member
Can anyone provide me some Links on "How to do a 4R70W auto swap on a 14 Coyote".
Help will be greatly appreciated folks.

Thank you

Sean

clinton2003

Established Member
the 4r70w is not a great trans for a swap IMO. the 6r80 will support more power and be way better. if you want ultimate strength then you should do a th400 and forget about the 4r70w. I have seen way to many people blow em up from putting too much power to them WITH good parts in em...

just my $0.02

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Agreed, 4R is a horrible choice compared to 6R that actually comes with that engine.
-J

clinton2003

Established Member
Especially now they have the internals for 6r80 to convert it to a "4r200" or whatever they call it. makes it a 4 speed like your looking at but almost bullet proof.

pantera408

Established Member
Thanks for the info guys... Just had the 4R70W fully built with good parts. And also I have the money in it now.

clinton2003

Established Member
well look up th400 swap. its going to be basically the same. if you dont have the manual valve body, then you will obviously need a controller. and then also can wire up a switch for the lockup converter.

basically you just need the bell housing to go to ford modular. then find a flexplate that will give the correct spacing so you can run a factory sized 4r70w converter. confirm your converter spacing is within spec and bolt everything up.
once you get that all mounted you will have to figure out how to get the trans mount (i flipped my factory trans mount and drilled holes. then used washers to space it up to get the angle correct.)
then you have to measure to get your driveshaft length. you keeping the rear cv or putting on a new yolk for the diff? I replaced the yolk and went with solid u joints. I had my shaft made local in a couple days, out of 3.5" chromoly, for about $500

its not an easy task, and has a bunch of tedious things. wiring up the speed sensor, reverse sensor, installing/adjusting the shifter, etc. just take your time and dont rush anything. OR pay someone to do it.

clinton2003

Established Member
Thanks for the info guys... Just had the 4R70W fully built with good parts. And also I have the money in it now.
BTW, we are just trying to save you money and headache. if you want to attempt the 4r70w, nobody is going to stop you. like me, i wanted to run a 9 with my MT82, 2 transmissions later i did.... If i were to have just done a t56 swap OR done an auto swap (6r80 or th400) i would have saved LOTS of money and headache.....

just because you have one now, and its got money into it, doesnt mean its going to be a good solution.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Unless it’s manual VB cut your losses now. My buddy with a TVS Coyote ‘11 GT went bottom 9s repeatedly with a 100% stock 6R, stock converter, etc.
I had a built MVB 4R/AOD in my LX and they can work if done right, but you have a proven strong option that works with stock electronics.
Even if you lose a bit more than you want selling the 4R you’ll recover it by saving from buying things the 6R won’t need.
Also a modular 4R will be direct bolt on to the Coyote as they all share modular bolt pattern.
Good luck.
-J

Users who are viewing this thread