Covered CA rates jumping

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
Come the beginning of next year I’ll be taking a good look at the bottom of the barrel options that will essentially just keep us from going bankrupt if I get hit by a bus or some other major event. Paying $1,100/mo for a young, healthy family of 4 and then still paying $65 every doctor visit on top of that is getting old. I’d rather just pay doctors visits and prescriptions out of pocket. I have yet to see a month where it wouldn’t be cheaper.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

xblitzkriegx

Established Member
Come the beginning of next year I’ll be taking a good look at the bottom of the barrel options that will essentially just keep us from going bankrupt if I get hit by a bus or some other major event. Paying $1,100/mo for a young, healthy family of 4 and then still paying $65 every doctor visit on top of that is getting old. I’d rather just pay doctors visits and prescriptions out of pocket. I have yet to see a month where it wouldn’t be cheaper.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

$1,100/m?!?! holy hell.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
I know this isnt the Politics section, but good ****ing god.... How the hell the ACA can ever EVER conceivably considered AFFORDABLE is beyond my grasp.

Im not necessarily in favor of a repeal only law, as I know there are many Americans that would be cut off from care that need it. Not having ANY plan ready, after all these protests for years in Congress by conservatives, is pathetic and a failure of the Republican majority.

By never addressing the costs associated with health care in this country, the liberals failed miserably. Intent and good intentions pave the path to hell, no?

Reign in the insurance companies, reign in the healthcare systems that CLEARLY abuse insurance policies by mandating a HIGHER rate if you have insurance. Its not that I have ANY love for the insurance companies. However by continually increasing the billing rate, and insurance companies paying them, the hospitals and health care systems have exponentially driven up the cost.

Do doctors deserve to be compensated for their skill and knowledge? yes.
Do nurses and healthcare technicians deserve to be compensated for their skills and knowledge? yes.

Do the hospitals and health industry need the continual exponential increases in their records profits year over year? NO

Do medical equipment and medical supply corporations need the record profits year over year? NO

Capitalism is a great system. You either offer goods and services that are in demand or you fail. Making a profit isnt wrong at all. Gouging prices simply because its "medical" is a polite way of saying "If you want or need this for you health, bend the **** over or die." I hate to say it, but the medical sector needs some damn enforceable oversight. All things this REPUBLICAN congress has an opportunity to do yet havent done.

Address the COST of healthcare as a start. The insurance side was focused on by ACA and has absolutely ****ed over this country.

HillbillyHotRod

Hooligan rabble rouser
Established Member
We are just paying for all those who pay little or nothing. All those gubment substies for those who do not pay for insurance has to come from somewhere. Guess who? Those who actually work for a living.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
We are just paying for all those who pay little or nothing. All those gubment substies for those who do not pay for insurance has to come from somewhere. Guess who? Those who actually work for a living.

As they squeeze the working class, they can keep bumping the number of people under the limit for subsidies and reduces the number of people actually paying.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
As they squeeze the working class, they can keep bumping the number of people under the limit for subsidies and reduces the number of people actually paying.

And therefore keep making the problem worse. Im not arguing with you at all btw, thats just a great observation.

I believe that its going to take regulation of the health sector. Nothing overbearing, but there needs to be something with teeth to reign this train wreck in...

LogiWorld123

Established Member
Thank goodness we as a country decided to link (and keep on keepin on) health insurance to jobs. My wife's excellent employer covers about 92% of the premiums we would pay for family coverage.

Before she had that job, I had my lousy student insurance which had about a $100 co-pay on anything and everything, including Rx

derklug

Seriously? No, never.
Established Member
Premium Member
Depending on whether it is an odd or even day, I am of two minds. Even days I say scrap the whole system, make the entire healthcare system a government agency. People walk in and get treated. On odd days I say make the system fully pay as you go. Offer tax free savings accounts where people can park health care money, but no insurance agencies.
Downside for even days is crappy service, long lines, no care. Downside for odd days is people who can't afford to pay die.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Depending on whether it is an odd or even day, I am of two minds. Even days I say scrap the whole system, make the entire healthcare system a government agency. People walk in and get treated. On odd days I say make the system fully pay as you go. Offer tax free savings accounts where people can park health care money, but no insurance agencies.
Downside for even days is crappy service, long lines, no care. Downside for odd days is people who can't afford to pay die.

Hell, mix both together and add in a price regulatory clause and you have the start of something I think.

Stanley

Established Member
Premium Member
There is a doctor up north (probably others doing it too) that is on the Sean Hannity radio show sometimes talking about a co-op he does. For $50 a month to him you can see the doctors in his office for anything without co-pay. He buys meds directly which makes them far cheaper. He then helps people set up health savings accounts and catastrophic insurance plans to cover major issues.

Seemed like a good start.

ur bittn

By the snake
Established Member
I don't buy through my employer, but directly from kaiser. Only went up like 3% at the beginning of 2017. Hopefully its the same for 2018. 2019 I should have cheap insurance through my wife's employer when she finishes school and gets "promoted" to an RN.
I wish I still had kaiser, got Beaver now lol it's ok. My daughter is a RN at kaiser I think her co-payment is like $5

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
I wish I still had kaiser, got Beaver now lol it's ok. My daughter is a RN at kaiser I think her co-payment is like $5

Everyone wants to work for kaiser. Great pay and benefits. My copay is definitely higher than $5 lol.

hunterp

Established Member
My aunt and her husband pay $1k / month per person. It eats up a third of their income. They live in Illinois and only have one choice of carrier on their exchange. With that and Illinois' criminal mismanagement of their budget, they're getting the hell out and moving to Tennessee.

Users who are viewing this thread