Court: Texas plates must be on front bumper

VenomRogue

Focus > Mustang
Established Member
Seems like there is a difference in opinion.

not an opinion, its a fact

If you received a citation for Fail to Display Driver License, Violation of Driver License Restriction A, Only One License Plate, or No Registration (insignia issued before citation) you must appear at the Municipal Court on or before your Appearance Date. You may present proof of correction of the defect on or before your Appearance Date; pay a Dismissal Fee of $10.00 and the citation will be dismissed.

you only pay the fine if you dont want to go thru the hassle of correcting the "defect"

some people do though, its not a moving violation, doesnt go on your driving record....some people just dont want to deal with it...pay it and move on.....I, personally, like my money too much to just give away 150-200 bucks.

Last edited:

Stanley

Established Member
Premium Member
Here is where mine is on my L, if I can't get it centered or looking halfway decent I don't put it on, Found this to be ok with me and should not be a issue for LEO's either I would think.

DSCN3580.gif

DSCN3581.gif

Technically that is still in violation according to this "Front” means the foremost part or beginning of a vehicle, not in the front half, or in the front portion,” Judge Cathy Cochran said in her majority opinion." The bumper is out farther and more in front than the grill.

They should just lose it though and stick with just the back.

VenomRogue

Focus > Mustang
Established Member
Technically that is still in violation according to this "Front” means the foremost part or beginning of a vehicle, not in the front half, or in the front portion,” Judge Cathy Cochran said in her majority opinion." The bumper is out farther and more in front than the grill.

yes, that is the new confusion with this ruling.

most rear plates are not on the rear-most of the vehicle, they are on the trunk, or recessed somewhere else, not ON THE BUMPER...

quote from one of the justices:

Two of the court's nine judges disagreed. Judge Lawrence Meyers, joined by Judge Barbara Hervey, said he'd "construe front and rear to mean any surface facing that direction."

"Using the majority's logic, the rear of the vehicle would be the back bumper," Meyers wrote. "But as we all know, 90 percent of all vehicles do not display the license plate on the back bumper, they are usually on the tailgate or trunk."

00slvrL

RIP 05.18.2013
Established Member

I doubt the plate sitting 2 inches back from the foremost part of the vehicle will be of a fuss, no way. Like IcemanII said I should be good to go, now my tint may be another story:lol1:

Iceman II

Right Behind You!
Established Member
its just a fixit ticket.

you get popped, just ziptie it on, goto the courthouse show the bailiff/prosecuter/clerk/whoever and pay the $10-15 "dismissal" fee, and go on your way....with or without the plate.

Be aware that this is "not" a fix it ticket! Your making it sound like its an automatic dismissal fee. Now, the Judge can lower the fine at his descretion.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
not an opinion, its a fact.

you only pay the fine if you dont want to go thru the hassle of correcting the "defect"

some people do though, its not a moving violation, doesnt go on your driving record....some people just dont want to deal with it...pay it and move on.....I, personally, like my money too much to just give away 150-200 bucks.

Be aware that this is "not" a fix it ticket! Your making it sound like its an automatic dismissal fee. Now, the Judge can lower the fine at his descretion.

Interesting.

txyaloo

Established Member
Interesting.

The law says may, not shall. Thus the judge could impose the full fine if they choose. That said, I haven't seen a municipal or JP court in Texas which doesn't allow you to pay the $10 fee after you've shown proof it was fixed.

(f) A court may dismiss a charge brought under Subsection (a) if the defendant:

(1) remedies the defect before the defendant's first court appearance; and

(2) pays an administrative fee not to exceed $10.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
The law says may, not shall. Thus the judge could impose the full fine if they choose. That said, I haven't seen a municipal or JP court in Texas which doesn't allow you to pay the $10 fee after you've shown proof it was fixed.

If it says "may" than that means it must be brought before a judge to be dismissed and therefore cannot be a fix it ticket in and of itself. A judge has the ability to lower or dismiss almost every type of traffic violation. Thanks for posting that and clearing things up.

VenomRogue

Focus > Mustang
Established Member
this almost never gets to a judge, unless the defendant wants it to...I purposely took it to a judge one time, just to prove a point (before this current "ruling" on front plates though)

you goto the clerks window, either the clerk or a bailiff comes out, sees you have fixed the defect (whatever it maybe...front plate, headlight out, etc etc...) then you get it dropped after paying the 10 bucks. You have to had seriously pissed someone off to have anything done otherwise.

wigginwilly00

Another day in Paradise
Established Member

Curious to know how the presiding official or magistrate determines the fine. Do they look in to previous infractions for the same offense or is it case by case?

DriftwoodSVT

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Established Member
I work in the Capital complex downtown and my parking lot has numerous state troopers parked there. DPS also patrols the parking lot to check for parking violations. I've never had a front plate in the 5 years I've been here and never been bothered about it, even when pulled over for speeding.

While I don't agree with the law, I supposed I'd put on a front plate if bothered enough about it. I just don't see why it's mandatory for some states and not others.

Last edited:

Stanley

Established Member
Premium Member
I doubt the plate sitting 2 inches back from the foremost part of the vehicle will be of a fuss, no way. Like IcemanII said I should be good to go, now my tint may be another story:lol1:

Yes it should be good, but if a cop was having a bad day and wanted to be a d there is room for him to write it up even if it would get dismissed later.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Yes it should be good, but if a cop was having a bad day and wanted to be a d there is room for him to write it up even if it would get dismissed later.

there is also the issue of the TEXAS is obscured by the bumper ... IF a cop wanted to make an issue of it LOL

Iceman II

Right Behind You!
Established Member
Curious to know how the presiding official or magistrate determines the fine. Do they look in to previous infractions for the same offense or is it case by case?

On Class (C) misedemeanors the fine can range from $1.00-$500.00. The Judge or Jury can set the penalty anywhere within this range. Now, there are certain Class (C's) that can be enhanced to a Class (B) where the fine can range up to $2,000.00 and/or 180 days in jail, if one is not getting the point.

You can bet they look at one's previous infractions espicially if you keep showing up in their courtroom. If not, then its on a case by case basis.

Iceman II

Right Behind You!
Established Member
there is also the issue of the TEXAS is obscured by the bumper ... IF a cop wanted to make an issue of it LOL

Your absolutely right. The letters "TEXAS" must be visible. The guy with the L may have an issue with this. I didn't catch that, but it harder to tell with a picture.

I just spoke with a Judge about the front plate issue. He told me he will be the one to check it to make sure it is in compliance before "IT MAY" be dismissed. In other words a court clerk, cannot dismiss it. They don't have that power. No sticky tape, where it can be taken off after he/she leaves the court.

Last edited:

VenomRogue

Focus > Mustang
Established Member
Your absolutely right. The letters "TEXAS" must be visible. The guy with the L may have an issue with this. I didn't catch that, but it harder to tell with a picture.

I just spoke with a Judge about the front plate issue. He told me he will be the one to check it to make sure it is in compliance before "IT MAY" be dismissed. In other words a court clerk, cannot dismiss it. They don't have that power. No sticky tape, where it can be taken off after he/she leaves the court.

i have spoken with judges, prosecutors and court staff (clerks and bailiffs). Matter of fact, one judge was highly irrirated by the prosecutor that he was "wasting his courts time" with the issue...

While true, techinically a clerk/court staff cant dismiss it, they do all the paperwork and verification, and the judge signs off on it.

I have only gone through this in 4 different counties in Texas, so if your in the boonies, and some local judge is bored and wants to make a big deal out of it, your on your own, lol.

*edit*

Iceman, what county are you in? your avatar details only say "texas hill country"

Last edited:

00slvrL

RIP 05.18.2013
Established Member

I was also thinking about that, I'm very polite when being stopped by leo's, obviously because I was "probably" in the wrong, If the plate is a issue by the leo then I suppose we'll just have a difference in opinion.
Like I stated before I've been one to never run with a front plate, never have I been ticketed for it either, so no it will not be moved.
Houston is too big to be harrassing me over a plate.:poke:

Users who are viewing this thread