court question

03CobraDude

Well, I received a ticket yesterday for 34 in a 20. Didn't realize it, but that's my own fault.

It's $104 and I would really like to save that for college, so I have thought about showing up to court. Obviously, I'm banking on the officer not showing up. My question is, what do I do if he shows up? I know that I was speeding, I just want to test my luck and see if he doesn't show up. What will I have to do if the officer shows up?

Thank you...

ZChaos0026

Established Member
im fairly certain most agencies have policies that require their officers to attend traffic court (i know mine does). just keep that in the back of your head.

Show up, be polite, and be honest. Explain what you did, and why you did what you did, and hope that the judge is in a good mood.

jshen

Established Member
Betting on the officer's failure to show is a losing proposition and mindset! :nonono: First of all most, if not all, allow for a continuance- whereby the case is reset and the officer is "invited personally" to be there.

Secondly, why not just try the approach- Gee, I'm sorry I screwed up and am trying to save money for college" Depending on your traffic record, which the judge will have in front of him, the judge may cut you some slack and send you to traffic school instead of fine or points. It never hurts to ask..but wear respectable clothing.

03CobraDude

Betting on the officer's failure to show is a losing proposition and mindset! :nonono: First of all most, if not all, allow for a continuance- whereby the case is reset and the officer is "invited personally" to be there.

Secondly, why not just try the approach- Gee, I'm sorry I screwed up and am trying to save money for college" Depending on your traffic record, which the judge will have in front of him, the judge may cut you some slack and send you to traffic school instead of fine or points. It never hurts to ask..but wear respectable clothing.

I never thought about the driving record... I might just pay the fine since I have two other tickets within the past 14 months.

This is a small town of about 3000, so when you say respectable clothing, do you mean say, a nice Polo and nice jeans? or should I wear some nicer pants?

Thank you for the information!

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
I never thought about the driving record... I might just pay the fine since I have two other tickets within the past 14 months.

This is a small town of about 3000, so when you say respectable clothing, do you mean say, a nice Polo and nice jeans? or should I wear some nicer pants?

Thank you for the information!

Courtroom attire is at least slacks with shirt and tie. A jacket would be good too, but not completely necessary.

My Cobra

Gigidy Gigidy Gigidy
Established Member
why not just pay the fine and go on. you are going to have to take time off of work or school ( If you work ) Pay for gas to go there. Take time out of your day to try to beat it. You know you were in the wrong the LEO knows you were in the wrong. Just pay the 100 and be done with it is what i would do.

FordSVTFan

Established Member
Couldn't the court also raise the fine/assess points based on his two prior convictions?

If the other tickets have been adjudicated then those cases are closed and there can be no change in fine or points. However, in cases where judgment has been withheld that is a distinct possibility.

03CobraDude

If you lose you will have to pay the fine plus court costs. Court costs are usually under $50.

Well, on the ticket, it says there's already a $50 court cost and $54 for the infraction... Would they tack on another $50 if I'd show up?

why not just pay the fine and go on. you are going to have to take time off of work or school ( If you work ) Pay for gas to go there. Take time out of your day to try to beat it. You know you were in the wrong the LEO knows you were in the wrong. Just pay the 100 and be done with it is what i would do.

I'm considering on just paying it. However, my job consists of mowing city parks and a walking trail, so I would not miss much. Also, it's a small town, so the gas part wouldn't be an issue. I am considering just paying it and moving on. Either way, I'll have to wait until Friday so I can get paid.

FordSVTFan

Established Member
Well, on the ticket, it says there's already a $50 court cost and $54 for the infraction... Would they tack on another $50 if I'd show up?

It appears that Kansas places a $.50 court administration fee on tickets. Are you sure it says $50 and not $.50?

Typically the fine amount is the fine exclusive of court costs. Court costs are only tacked on if you lose.

jshen

Established Member
. However, my job consists of mowing city parks and a walking trail, so I would not miss much. Also, it's a small town, so the gas part wouldn't be an issue. I am considering just paying it and moving on. Either way, I'll have to wait until Friday so I can get paid.

Just thought I'd throw this in.

Do you drive a city vehicle? If you do, you need to check how this will effect your ability to drive city/govt vehicles.

03CobraDude

It appears that Kansas places a $.50 court administration fee on tickets. Are you sure it says $50 and not $.50?

Typically the fine amount is the fine exclusive of court costs. Court costs are only tacked on if you lose.

100% sure. The total amount I'm required to pay is $104.00. I can photograph and post a picture of the ticket if that could be more helpful.

Just thought I'd throw this in.

Do you drive a city vehicle? If you do, you need to check how this will effect your ability to drive city/govt vehicles.

I don't think it will have any effect on that. I've talked to the two very nice ladies who sit at the front desk of the city office and they never said anything about driveability, so hopefully I'm in the clear. NORMALLY, my partner does most of the driving anyway.

Thank you

howie8124

Established Member
i fought a ticket for doing 100 on the highway(65 zone)...I had no choice because it was fight it or lose my license and pay all those fines and go to class cause i was under the new law where if you were under either 17 or 18 you lost it for like half a year or whatever. but the point is i went in and told them i couldnt lose it because i needed it for work and i already dealt with it within my family by selling the car...ect ect... and just owning up to it and being polite he put me on a probation of driving type of thing for six months. and i didnt get a ticket. so he let me go. amazingly he let me off the hook 100%

Users who are viewing this thread