Couple questions for you guys!! Please answer!

jjhirsch

Established Member
Alrite guys, I am currently selling my 2001 Lightning and am thinking about a CSVT. Here are some questions I hope you can answer.

1) Do they make a supercharger or turbo kits for the CSVT's??
2) What should I look for in a used CSVT?
3) Any known TSB's or serious problems with them?
4) Where would I begin to look for mods or parts??

I am hoping to unload the L soon, as gas prices are killing me and I need something more pratical for me and my son. I hope you guys can help me out here, I really have always liked the look of the CSVT's and hope to be driving one soon.

Also, anyone here selling a 99 or 00?? And if anyone knows anyone who wants a Lightning I can arrange a finders fee!!!

:beer:

chknhwk

Originally posted by jjhirsch

1) Do they make a supercharger or turbo kits for the CSVT's??
2) What should I look for in a used CSVT?
3) Any known TSB's or serious problems with them?
4) Where would I begin to look for mods or parts??

Also, anyone here selling a 99 or 00?? And if anyone knows anyone who wants a Lightning I can arrange a finders fee!!!

1)Supercharger kit with a 99.9% failure rate or a Streetflight turbo kit that rocks.
2)IMO not any different than any other kind of used car.
3)Water pump impellers were known to go and the 2.5L engines are prone to oil starvation if pushed hard.
4)Contour Enthusiasts Group. Look in the forums.

It's not a 99 or 00 but it's got a 3L in it and a lot of other goodies if you're interested. :coolman: And I'd hit you up on that L if I could afford it...

Jason43

Brewer, patriot
Established Member
1. what he said
2. what he said
3. must be religious about checking oil, 99-00's suffer from dash warp and bad fuel pumps
4. what he said

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
Also, remember 99-00 (at least most 99s) have the returnless fuel system too....

Originally posted by Jason43
1. what he said
2. what he said
3. must be religious about checking oil, 99-00's suffer from dash warp and bad fuel pumps
4. what he said

The BigSHO

Established Member
Agree with all the above...

As for mods, save your money. The CSVT, like the SHO, don't respond that well to mods. The bang for the buck is not there.

I wish I had all the money I spent on mods for three CSVTs and two SHOs. The modded cars were only marginally faster.

Enjoy the car for what it is: a 15 second go kart that handles like its on rails... :)

jjhirsch

Established Member
Thanks everyone....I realize that modding might be a hard journey to get the power but nevertheless, I have been bitten by the mod bug and must go on.

HWK...could you drop me an e-mail and explain a little more about your car??

If things go right I will on this forum alot in the next few weeks!! You guys seem like a cool bunch and it will be fun talking with you all!! Thanks again for all the info everyone!

SVT_2000Contour

Unloading it in your GF!
Established Member
Well let me fill you in about my 00.
1.) My fuel pump is going out.
2.) My dash is coming up (Looks like a steaming pile of sh*t!)
3.) A/C blower controler went out. A/C only works on high speed.
4.) Sunroof makes an afull griding noise when you open it.
5.) Driver side seat is coming loose from the floor. (I guess I need to tighten the bolts holding it.)
6.) Headlights are glazing over. (Once again...looks like sh*t)

Just to list a few things, over all its not bad for the price I paid with only 14k on it. I now have 56k and I can't wait for my water pump to go out. I'm sure I'll be in the middle of hell when it happens.

I'm sure some of you out there are asking yourselfs "Why doesn't he fix his problems" well my answer to you gentlemen is $$$$$$!
Don't have it. I'am how ever taking donations to the "Help the FORD charity"

Chris:rockon:

The BigSHO

Established Member
The AC/Heat stuck on high is an easy and cheap fix. Mine went out and I got the help I need on contour.org It might be a loose connection to the blower motor. There is a recall out for that blower motor. I'm not sure if you qualify or not, but I'd check.

There is a recall out on the dash too. Ford cheaped out on the dash glue on 2000s.

The returnless (some 99s and all 2000s) seem to go through fuel pumps more. My sons (2000) is going out and lugs on hills when he is below 1/2 a tank.

Like all cars, they can be a PITA. I've owned three. My family still has the three. Like SHOs, CSVT don't hold their value. Its a buyers market.

I saw a 99 with under 40K miles go for under $5K.

CSVTs are the best used car for the money in my opinion.

I'm sure the flamers will lock and load on that one...;-)

jjhirsch

Established Member
00..Sorry I didnt get a chance to call you...I am still interested though, I am trying hard to unload this Lightning..Seems harder than I thought!!! I should be dropping you a ring tomorrow though.

chknhwk

jj, I sent you an email.

As far as the fuel pumps and dashes I didn't realize they were such a big problem! (I haven't had any problems like that yet...)

And the headlights - um, yeah... :rollseyes They suck.

jjhirsch

Established Member
OK..it looks like the day is getting closer to me owning a CSVT..Heres a few more questions for you guys:

1) What are the first 3 mods I should do...
2) what should be the first things I look at replacing for preventative(sp) maintenance??
3) What is the best drop kit on the market, keep in mind price is a factor too...

Thanks in advance guys!! Im getting pumped about this...

chknhwk

Originally posted by jjhirsch

1) What are the first 3 mods I should do...
2) what should be the first things I look at replacing for preventative(sp) maintenance??
3) What is the best drop kit on the market, keep in mind price is a factor too...

1) Performance or driveability?
-a)Good K&N air filter, cat back exhaust, 17" wheels
-b)DMD, K&N oil filter/Mobil 1oil, 17" wheels
2) usual stuff: oil filter, fuel filter, air filter, cabin filter, etc, etc (more unusual, save up for water pump)
3) I REALLY like my Eibach springs and BAT struts coupled with good 17" wheels (did I mention I like 17" wheels?)

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
Mod wise your not going to notice much in the HP department. But, I'd install a big K&N, Headers, and a triple pod apillar so you can monitor you engines vitals

As for suspension, depends on your taste and how you want the car to sit. I love my H&R/Konis. H&R gives a raked look, and I believe are a bit stiffer than the Eibach. Eibach is a 'level' look lowered. Bat is the same, except not as dropped as much.

Users who are viewing this thread