Couple questions, cam users step in plz, replacing a leaking timing cover gasket etc.

JAYSVT06

Established Member
Stage 3or2 comp cams & valve springs be installed engine in car? Stock pistons

So this winter I'm gonna fix my leaking timing cover, its a super small leak doesn't hardly even drip, but it annoys me, with that being said Im gonna have the valve covers off and the timing cover. My questions are the following, my engine is completely original and perfect shape n super clean. Stock pistons etc
Ive searched and read, but doesn't seem to be to much info really,

1. Stage 3 comp cam work on stock pistons? no valve reliefs? will the valves hit? or can it be done, if not can a stage 2 cam work.

2.Can the cams & valves be installed with the motor in the car, and how do you keep the valves from dropping down into the engine? surely you dont turn the engine each time on each cylinder your working on to keep the piston up top n keep the valve from dropping?

3. Should i just leave it alone and fix the leak?.... gonna replace inner belt and all bearings on idlers while im in there as well, maybe a new waterpump. Since the car is 11 yrs old now.

thanks to anyone that can help

if anyone wants to know, i have plenty $ for the cams n springs and could do the labor myself with help from my dad, i want the cam sound and the shake at idle little HP gain be nice as well fig 15-30HP

Last edited:

JAYSVT06

Established Member
Can you use an air house and pressure gauge and keep pressure on the cylinder while you swap the valves?

safado

bleed'n blue
Established Member
if you dont have compressed air you can use twine... Just did this method on a buddies LS at his house

Users who are viewing this thread