Couple pistol/ccw questions for you guys

ThrottleJunkie

God Bless Silicone
Established Member
I've been wanting to go to my CCW for a while now but there's a couple things I wanna figure out first.

1. I don't wear hunting vests or jackets everywhere I go. Unless it's really cold I don't wear any sort of overgarment. When you guys carry, esp in the summer time, how do you conceal a gun without it poking out of a t shirt or looking funny?

2. I'm not sure what pistol I would like to carry. I understand that size is really important to a lot of people, but I'm 6'2 and don't mind carrying a mid-sized pistol as long as it's lightweight/polymer.

3. Caliber. A lot of people say a 9mm doesn't have enough stopping power for self defense but I kinda question that. Chances are if you have to use it, it's going to be fairly close range and I just can't see how a 9mm can't at least immobilize someone. That said, I also want to pick up a .40. My 1911 is great but a .45 IMO is just impractical to carry. Suggestions?

Un4GivN

QuenchMyThirstw/Gasoline
Established Member
Well, when I carry, I usually wear two shirts. I'll tuck my first shirt in and put my holster on. I use the second shirt, usually a collared shirt, to cover up the gun. I don't have the best or most expensive IWB holster, but I still get little printing.

Depending on your preference, revolvers are smaller and easier to hide, lighter, and more reliable. My personal preference is an automatic, but I'm not against carrying an airweight or titanium revolver either.

My carry gun is a Springfield XD40 Sub Compact. I'm sure a 9mm would do a fine job of protecting you if you have to use it. Most ccw instructors will tell you to fire 2+ shots if you have to use your gun anyway. I prefer a .40 over the .45 or 9, but again, just my preference. I feel it's a nice balance of price for ammo and power.

lowflyn

Found my 03sbvert...
Established Member
When he says IWB he is referring to a holster that goes inside the waist band of your pants/shorts. It is mildly uncomfortable at first, but you will get used to it fairly quickly and it works mighty well at concealing your weapon of choice.

txyaloo

Established Member
Small of back, inside waistband. On my frame, most any gun won't print, but I choose to carry a subcompact for versatility.

Just remember, if you go with a .40 in most guns, you can stick a 9mm barrel in it and get the best of both worlds. You can't do that with a 9mm. I prefer a .40.

Un4GivN

QuenchMyThirstw/Gasoline
Established Member
Just remember, if you go with a .40 in most guns, you can stick a 9mm barrel in it and get the best of both worlds. You can't do that with a 9mm. I prefer a .40.

Now this I did not know... do you know if this is possible with my gun? XD40 sub compact? Do you need different magazines as well?

txyaloo

Established Member
Now this I did not know... do you know if this is possible with my gun? XD40 sub compact? Do you need different magazines as well?

Yep, you can do it with an XD40 subcompact.

https://www.efkfiredragon.com/proddetail.php?prod=XDSUB9SB

You can also run .357 sig with a conversion barrel. I believe with the XD you will need new magazines too, but they're cheap.

I like the Glock because the conversion barrels are fairly inexpensive, and I can use my factory .40 magazines with 9mm rounds.

txyaloo

Established Member
Never heard of a .40 changing to a 9mm. My HK can go from a .40 to a .357 sig.

Just because you haven't heard of it doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

The .40 frame is larger than the 9mm on most guns and can easily accept the correct conversion barrel. They're quite reliable.

9A Pilot

durability tester
Established Member
I've been wanting to go to my CCW for a while now but there's a couple things I wanna figure out first.

1. I don't wear hunting vests or jackets everywhere I go. Unless it's really cold I don't wear any sort of overgarment. When you guys carry, esp in the summer time, how do you conceal a gun without it poking out of a t shirt or looking funny?
Well..You simply buy a handgun sutable for concealed carry..There are alot more to choose from now than there used to be simply because the practice of ccw is alot more recognized than ever before.
I carry all the time..I simply wear cargo shorts..If you want to conceal wearing a speedo,it becoms a little more difficult.
Pretty much you would be forced to rock a fanny pack.
it's pretty common knowlege that straight men sporting a fanny pack have a gun on them..
Just make sure when the gun is concealed, it needs to be in some sort of holster that COVERS the trigger.I have a Galco holster specifically designed for pocket carry. it does two things. It prevents my balls from getting shot off & it makes the gun less likly to print.

2. I'm not sure what pistol I would like to carry. I understand that size is really important to a lot of people, but I'm 6'2 and don't mind carrying a mid-sized pistol as long as it's lightweight/polymer.
Glock has you covered.
GLOCK "Safe Action Pistols"
I have a Glock 23..but I usually carry my S&W 638 revolver
3. Caliber. A lot of people say a 9mm doesn't have enough stopping power for self defense but I kinda question that. Chances are if you have to use it, it's going to be fairly close range and I just can't see how a 9mm can't at least immobilize someone. That said, I also want to pick up a .40. My 1911 is great but a .45 IMO is just impractical to carry. Suggestions?

This issue has been beat to death.
Shot placement has a much bigger effect on the outcome than caliber.
Obviously the smaller the caliber, the more emphasis will be place on shot placement..But within the range of common hand gun calibers..they are all sufficiently lethal.
A .380 will put a bad guy down just fine as long as it's on target.
I would put my emphasis on the quality of the sighting system & controllability of the muzzle than anything else.
This is why I mount a laser on my .38 & load it with Hydra-shok low recoil rounds instead of carrying a gun so powerful that I end up shooting over the targert in follow-on shots...Overly
Finally you need to train professionlly FIRST & once you have your fundamentals down...Practice! Practice! Practice!

Last edited:

65fastback2+2

Established Member
if someone has a good suggestion for an IWB holster for a 3" xd .40 id like to hear it...cant find one i like

BuckChoklit

Schooled by Satan
Established Member
1. Like has been said before, IWB holster (in the waist-band), small of back.

2. Most major manufacturers will carry pistols in multiple sizes, ranging from full size, compact and sub-compact.

3. As far as caliber goes, it's all in placement. If you feel like you can place a 9mm correctly in a situation, go for it. A large amount of people carry a .45 because it's a "man stopper"--which means if it hits someone, they're going to hit the ground. As far as the most powerful thing you can carry, 10mm.

I own and open carry a Glock model 23 which is a compact sized .40.

65fastback2+2

Established Member
Mexican?
Dont carry inside the wasteband?
I use an Uncle Mikes...
Like I said...That's definitly a location where you want the trigger covered.
An ND there would life altering.

what???? mexican? wasteband???

I asked about an IWB

Users who are viewing this thread