couple of q's about a ticket

BoneStock02

Regular Unleaded Member
Established Member
1. Is it failure to obey a traffic signal if: i made a complete stop then merged onto a road when the light was yellow and the light turned red as the rear couple of inches of my truck was leaving the intersection (i was entering a countinuing merge lane)

2. Can i get charged if my passenger was wearing a seatbelt but had it under his arm

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
1. Is it failure to obey a traffic signal if: i made a complete stop then merged onto a road when the light was yellow and the light turned red as the rear couple of inches of my truck was leaving the intersection (i was entering a countinuing merge lane)

yes. you came to a stop, while the light was yellow and it changed to red before you were completely through the intersection. This makes it a violation. Yellow does not mean hurry through the intersection. it means STOP if you can safely do so. and you obviously could safely do so.

2. Can i get charged if my passenger was wearing a seatbelt but had it under his arm

in some (I think most) states yes you can. The driver is responsible for his passengers. Improper wearing of the seat belt is usually a ticketable offense even tho it might have been clicked.

Sandgnat

Established Member

From the OP's post, not sure exactly what the situation is. Did you "merge" onto a road, as in turn right after a stop? (Most roads with a continuing merge lane carry a yield vice stop sign and flow into a dedicated lane out of the normal traffic. Understand the situation even less with that possibility.) Or did you "leave the intersection", as in drive across the intersecting road and continue on straight? The latter, you get the ticket. The former, you might get off. If this is a merge lane, it should have been a yield situation and the light controls crossing traffic. :??:

On the belt, most will consider this not wearing and you as the driver get the prize.

BoneStock02

Regular Unleaded Member
Established Member
From the OP's post, not sure exactly what the situation is. Did you "merge" onto a road, as in turn right after a stop? (Most roads with a continuing merge lane carry a yield vice stop sign and flow into a dedicated lane out of the normal traffic. Understand the situation even less with that possibility.) Or did you "leave the intersection", as in drive across the intersecting road and continue on straight? The latter, you get the ticket. The former, you might get off. If this is a merge lane, it should have been a yield situation and the light controls crossing traffic. :??:

On the belt, most will consider this not wearing and you as the driver get the prize.

it's an odd intersection, the merge lane is not a yield situation, it's right after a traffic light (turned from east to directly south)

Users who are viewing this thread