Couple of IRS questions....

KONA BLUES

HORSEPOWER JUNKIE
Established Member
Guys, I have tried searching and searching and I am obviously not putting in the correct combination of words to get the answer I am seeking.....So SEARCH NAZIs please go easy and don't flame me too hard....:burn:

Anyhow, my question is this:

What is the best bang-for-the-buck as far as IRS upgrades go for everyday street use and the occasional track visit?

Presently my car puts down 443/458 and the IRS is completely stock except for H&R Sport Springs at all 4 corners. The car does have Steeda FLSFC on it (don't know if that matters or not).

Let me lay this list down for you guys and you give me your input:

- BilletFlow IRS Brace....................................$149.95
- MM IRS Urethane Subframe Bushings..............$49.95
- MM IRS Urethane Differntial Bushing Kit...........$49.95

- GRAND TOTAL..............................................$259.85

I don't ever plan on doing any 5,6, or 7,000 RPM drops at the track, so would this be an acceptable upgrade for the IRS based on my intended usage? I am currently running 285/35/18 Nitto 555 (not the 555r) but in the near future plan on getting some DD FR500's and running a Nitto 305/35/18 555R.

Any input you guys can give is greatly appreciated.....:bowdown:

DORF

Nutty 5.0

Established Member
I have the same pieces ready to install. Did just install the IRS brace. Seems like you have a good start from what I have read.

KONA BLUES

HORSEPOWER JUNKIE
Established Member
Nutty 5.0 said:
I have the same pieces ready to install. Did just install the IRS brace. Seems like you have a good start from what I have read.

You will have to keep me posted on the results of your install, I am anxious to see how it works in conjunction with the IRS brace.

funtruck said:
This is more expensive than the $260 that your going to spend. But it will get rid of all rubber in the IRS.

ac427cobra sells these kits.
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=260665

This is what I'm planning on doing instead of the MM stuff. I already have the Differential brace.

Thanks, and I agree that is a great set-up....I might end up with this kit.

I have been doing much research but I have not been able to find a budget fix for the IRS. I am not making enough power to warrant BULLET-PROOFING the entire IRS, I simply want a reliable set-up that does away with the weak links for normal street use and the occasional track visit.

The items I have listed seem to be the most critical components that will be stressed at the track other than the stock half-shafts (I am no expert on this matter and make no claims to be....simply going by what I have read).

Does anyone else have any suggestions or comments?

Tractionless1

Established Member
Have fun with the subframe bushings and the rear bushing on the diff. itself. I'd also recommend the stiffening brace with backer plates that welds to the existing cantilevered mount. MM parts too. Check the sticky for "blue pill" also.

KONA BLUES

HORSEPOWER JUNKIE
Established Member
Thanks for the insight brother, I don't figure it is going to fun.

And I feel like a complete tool, that RED PILL sticky is exactly what I was looking for, thanks for the heads up....:beer:

Tractionless1

Established Member
No prob. I didn't do mine but my entire IRS wound up coming out!!! If I would have done it I probably would have put a breaker bar through the back window. My patience is wearing thin in my old age.

Nutty 5.0

Established Member
The IRS brace is on and works fine. Not that it will make any difference driving on the street, but it is good piece of mind if I beat on it hard it will be safer.

I'm going to do all the bushings in the next couple weeks by dropping the whole IRS, so it will be a bit until I can update you...

Users who are viewing this thread