Couple of clutch questions

AfricanSnowOwl

Established Member
So my factory clutch is just now starting to slip a little bit after being supercharged for almost 20,xxx miles. I've got a bunch of parts in the shopping cart waiting for me to click order. My questions are...

I currently have an SCT X3, I've heard rumors of being able to just unload the tune/reload the tune to get around the crank relearn. Any truth to this? Don't really want to buy an X4 just for this, and definitely want to avoid the dealership.

As far as billet steel flywheels, is one better than the other?

Hows the Exedy Mach 500 stage 3 clutch for a paxton car on the street vs the Mach 600? and do I need grooved?

Also, is anyone running the Ford aluminum driveshaft? Haven't heard anything about it other than the few reviews on AmericanMuscle which are all good.

And lastly, I've been reading that the Exedy slave cylinder is garbage. Is it best to order a new Ford one?

Thanks!

Maynard_93

I went with a McLeod RST twin disc clutch. McLeod Lightened Steel Flywheel. Also went ahead and bought the remote clutch reservoir. Already had the stainless steel clutch line. All of that paired with a Ben Calimer Stage 1 mt82 and a MGW Race Spec shifter. No more clutch pedal stuck to floor, missing gears, lock out feeling. I also went to ford and bought a slave cylinder. The twin disk pedal feel is the same as stock if not lighter. You don't have to buy a sct x4 to use the crank relearn procedure. Find a friend or someone with one and just borrow it. Very simple procedure. Sorry no input for the ford driveshaft. I have the Drive Shaft Shop in my car and no problems.

Tx5.0

Established Member
I don't see a point in changing the flywheel IMO, the stock one is just fine. If you leave the stock in place you don't have to do the crank relearn. People run in the 9's with a stock flywheel also.

I have the 500 on my vortech set up making 850whp/700tq and it takes it like a champ.

JDos1

Established Member
The Exedy slave is just a rebadged Ford slave. I'm 99% sure they're the same slave built in the same factory with just a different stamp. I've had a Mach 500 with Exedy lightened flywheel and Exedy slave in my 2011 for over 32k miles now with zero issues (136k on the car) though I'm still at FBO N/A power levels.

To get around buying the x4 or going to a dealership, ask around and see if anyone will let you borrow their X4. I had a buddy of mine ship me his X4, I installed the clutch, did the relearn, shipped the X4 back to him and gave him a little $ to boot.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
^^^ This!!! I have a lowly X3, but two of my buddies have X4s and using one when the time comes won't be an issue. You are in SA, there has to be a few 5.bros you can call on to use an X4 for the relearn.

AfricanSnowOwl

Established Member
Ok cool. Thanks for the replies. I think I'll try leaving the stock flywheel if it's not necessary to upgrade.

So no one knows about this Ford 1pc aluminum driveshaft?

JDos1

Established Member
Ok cool. Thanks for the replies. I think I'll try leaving the stock flywheel if it's not necessary to upgrade.

So no one knows about this Ford 1pc aluminum driveshaft?

Lots of people have it, one of the popular 1 piece manufacturer's makes it. I think Shaftmasters if I recall correctly. Solid unit. Good quality.

JDos1

Established Member
I've done 2 clutch jobs (one on a 11 and one on a 13) and didn't have to do a re-learn on either one. Aluminum flywheel on the 13.

One of the big name tuners told me no matter what you want to perform the relearn if you disturb the flywheel.

Users who are viewing this thread