couple more vortech questions

BelvedereGTX

Banned
I put the s- trim on with the 10 psi pulley last week. Like u guys lready told me, the car wont dont run worth a damn with the 190lph pump and 24's and no fmu, if i got on it at all it was jus hesitate and pop. i only drove it to put gas in it, and when i got home, i pulled a plug and of course they are white as a ghost. I do have them gapped at .35. Can i reuse the plugs? I am putting a 255 lph in tank pump in today, and im buying the 42 pound injectors some time later this week. I wont be running an fmu either cause i dont have one plus u guys told me not to. I wont be getting the car tune any time soon either becuase funds are tight. i just want to at least be able to go for a cruise every other weekend or so (probably like 10 miles every other week). I have had a handle of people tell me, that ill be just fine with no tune because the computer will learn and if anything ill just be on the rich side. some people claim they still run around with 42's an no tune. some say that they have seen others not be able to go anywahere. sorry for the long post.

questions,

1. reuse plugs?
2. 42's and 255lph and no tune ok?
3. what should i adjust my fuel pressure at? ( vaccum disconnected or connected?

any other advise is welcomed

thanks guys

carguy19

Established Member
reuse plugs?? why they are $2 a peice for new ones.

I wouldnt drive the car far with no tune. The car will run to get you to the shop to get it tuned just stayout of the boost and you will be fine.

Vac disconnected, finger on hose to prevent vac leak, I run mine at 39psi.

racerbox77

Established Member
you need to match your MAF to the new 42lbs, or the car wont even idle.

+2

No tune should be fine my car still hasnt been tuned. I would start with a lot of fuel pressure then start backing it down. If you have a wide band it makes it much easier but if not just do it the old fashioned way.
Beat on it in 4th then shut car off coast to a stop pull a plug and go from there. Works for me.
I would start with 46 psi with the line unhooked. With every pound of pressure from the blower the fuel will increase a pound. Always better to dyno tune but when you dont have $500 layin around it works.

BelvedereGTX

Banned
yeah thanks guys. i do have a 76 c&l mass air meter. i will be putting in a 42 pound sample tube. I knew there was a few people running no tune. thats th thing. im not gonna have 500 for another tune for a few months. i could however get a calibrated 4:1 fmu from vortech to hold me over but ill try like mentioned above. i probably should replace the plugs. i need to know what plug you guys recommend for my setup. thanks again

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
42's and a 255 pump will work but if you are not going to tune it yet, you need to at least get a boost timing retard box. If you don't have something to retard timing when you get into the throttle you are going to kill some pistons or head gaskets if you are lucky

BelvedereGTX

Banned
42's and a 255 pump will work but if you are not going to tune it yet, you need to at least get a boost timing retard box. If you don't have something to retard timing when you get into the throttle you are going to kill some pistons or head gaskets if you are lucky

so your sayin i should get a btm and an fmu? cant i just get the fmu calibrated for 42's. now im confused because these kits are supposed to be direct bolt on. now im spending more money up front then i planned. i do plan on getting a tune just ot now. this car sees day light once every other week for maybe 10 miles at the most. so, its not like ill be dd and redlining it up and down the road. im just a mild driver when i take her out and only get on it for a second or 2 and thats it. what are your thoughts? also, i need to know what plugs you recommend. thanks

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
so your sayin i should get a btm and an fmu? cant i just get the fmu calibrated for 42's. now im confused because these kits are supposed to be direct bolt on. now im spending more money up front then i planned. i do plan on getting a tune just ot now. this car sees day light once every other week for maybe 10 miles at the most. so, its not like ill be dd and redlining it up and down the road. im just a mild driver when i take her out and only get on it for a second or 2 and thats it. what are your thoughts? also, i need to know what plugs you recommend. thanks

no I didn't mention anything about an fmu. If you are going to run 42's and a 255 pump you don't need one.

Being that you didn't get an fmu, an inline t-rex pump, and a BTM it sounds like you bought a 'tuner' kit. If your kit was complete then it should have come with all of those items. Or at least they used to.

If you do not have something to retard your timing while in boost (whether its in a computer tune or a boost timing retard box) your 'getting on it a little bit' is going to cost you a whole lot more money because you are going to kill your short block unless you run 110 octane fuel all the time.

It doesn't matter if you drive your car twice a year or everyday, not having your timing and fuel set correctly is going to kill a motor.

I recommend autolite 3923's for your plugs gapped around .035 to start with.

Last edited:

FoofKiller

I> /\/\
Established Member
You should NEVER do anything until you have the funds to do it right the first time. I have the S-trim setup and just went through what you are now. I see several similar issues.

1) No tune is a always a bad idea. Not knowing where you stand in your tune and driving on it, undoubtly getting into boost is just asking for a hurt motor. The stock XZ3 Cobra computer is a PITA which is why most guys (including myself) have converted to a A9L. The stock computer pulls alot of timing and is a nitemare to tune and your A9L will still need to be chipped.

2) Next, lose the crap C&L MAF meter. I had one as well, it maxed out at 4k rpm's, it never idled correctly. Get yourself a Pro-M 80mm or a Lightning 90mm MAF.

3) Reuse plugs? What for? They aren't expensive by any stretch of the imagination. Be sure to run a plug two steps colder then stock.

4) The very minimum you should have right now is 42lb injectors, 255 in tank pump, and a in line pump like a T-Rex or something similar.

Lastly, listen to Lee93Cobra he's giving you some very valuable advice. In it's current condition, I wouldn't even drive your car. Vortech's are bolt-on kits, but you still need to have it tuned correctly. That 2 second burst of speed you are talkin about is at LEAST asking for a blown head gasket if not a destroyed shortblock.

Moral of the story - do it right, or don't do it at all. Short cuts are rarely that. They usually lead to more expensive problems.

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
From your other thread.

hear a bro. im gonna have to live with the 24's for a little while cause i dont want spend up my whole tax return. the car only sees maybe 200 miles a year. i wont be in boost to much either. i just like the way the things sound at idle

I would put the 42's in, 255l pump, and yes definately get a 6BTM. The other alternative is to retard your timing to 0 degrees so you don't vaporize a piston at 5500rpms...

LOL, at everyone that chants tune, as they didn't have them back in the mid 90's and guys were running some serious power.

FoofKiller

I> /\/\
Established Member
LOL, at everyone that chants tune, as they didn't have them back in the mid 90's and guys were running some serious power.

It's true, but "Caveman tuning" is no longer necessary. Why risk it when you have the tools available to you? Why not maximize your setup and having the confidence to know the tune is safe? Let's not forget the stock computer is a tricky beast to tame to complicate issues.

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
It's true, but "Caveman tuning" is no longer necessary. Why risk it when you have the tools available to you? Why not maximize your setup and having the confidence to know the tune is safe? .

+1.

While it is not 100% necessary, computer tune of some type is the best way to go. Better economy and reliable power.

My combo in the past consisted of 530rwhp with 14psi. My car would get over 21mpg on the highway @ 80mph and a/c blowing. Tuned with a Tweecer. Driveability was good. I was a little different than the thread starter as I drove my car a lot and took it on several 1000 mile round trips. My fuel system consisted of 60# injectors, 255 in-tank, fuel press set at 39psi, and a Kenne Bell BAP that I found I didn't need when I tuned it at the dyno

'Caveman' tuning is reliable if you know what you are doing. Any tuning is going to require a wideband or a quick dyno session. Timing plays just as much a critical role in a boosted combo as having the right amount fuel.

Last edited:

BelvedereGTX

Banned
alright, ill see what i can do. I think my tuner rapes me on dyno tunes. i already had a chip burned with sniper by him for 400 bucks. im pretty sure he said it would be another 400. How so when i already got a chip from him. arent the chips like 200 bucks, so it should be cheaper for the next session. what do u guys pay?

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
I paid $600 for the first tune I ever put on my car and that was when it was n/a. I said right then that would be the last time I would pay someone to tune my car. Picked up a Tweecer and started doing it myself after that.

If you think your car will see multiple combination changes in the future and you are willing to learn, start reading up on tuners that plug into your computer. I personally recommend the Tweecer R/T.
I offer a self tuning forum on my website if you decide to go that route. There are several of us on there that can help you.

But yes you can expect to pay several hundreds of dollars each time you need a retune not because of the cost of a chip but for the time it takes to do the tune

BelvedereGTX

Banned
hey thanks lee. ill check more into that and it looks like the tune is in orde. ill give you guys an update soon as im done. i was just talked out of cutting corners i guess. it would suck to blow a head gasket just because of a tune. Im not about to rip the engine apart again this year lol.

FoofKiller

I> /\/\
Established Member
what do u guys pay?

I paid 300 for the tune and reflashes are 50 bucks. A Tweecer is a good way to go if you have someone you can trust to teach you to use it. But I have seen people make their issues worse as well. If you do start tuning yourself, don't get greedy and tune conservatively in small steps.

Good luck to ya!

Users who are viewing this thread