couple clutch questions before i order my clutch and flywheel.

jeffl9682

Established Member
Im doing a clutch on my car in the next couple weeks, im a mechanic so luckily i can save on the labor.
I do have a couple questions though regarding the correct parts to order.
I have a 2004 ford mustang gt 4.6 v8. I was on a few websites and they were asking input shaft diameter and either 10 spline or 26 spline shafts.
Im going to go with the centerforce dual friction clutch and a fidenza aluminum flywheel.
The fidenza only come in 11 inch so obv i order the 11 inch clutch also.

I have searched and did find some info but nothing answers my question correctly.

stangnutlx

Dreamin about Boobies
Established Member
you have a 10 spline and dont worry about the shaft diameter.

jeffl9682

Established Member
sweet, thanks man. I appreciate the fast response. and the 11" will be fine? i know there were either a 10.5 and an 11" option

usmcgtstang2141

Established Member
if u havent ordered yet check out spec clutch or fidanza clutches how much power u running with or is this just a tune up kinda job ur doing? im a mechanic too ive done plenty of clutches...my thing is if im replacing it go stronger cause u dont wanna go back in if u are building more hp

usmcgtstang2141

Established Member
check spec and fidanza for clutches too man! its not hard as long as u got the tools r u doin this in ur shop while ur up in there do ur rear main seal too and all the bearings its one of those things that u just do while ur there...and my motto is if i gotta replace it go stronger :) i have spec stage 2 in mine holds very well

Swaie

Established Member
Does the pressure plate matter, with a 10.5 or 11, or is a pressure plate just a pressure plate.

stangnutlx

Dreamin about Boobies
Established Member
Yes it matters. If you get an 11" fly you need an 11" clutch kit.

usmcgtstang2141

Established Member
ive always bought in a whole kit where it comes with clutch, pressure plate, and throw out bearing and the aligning tool like a said while ur up in there do ur rear main seal and pilot bearing :)

JerseyTrueBlue

Established Member
The 11" or 10.5" just depends on which flywheel you have, 99-early01 are the 10.5" and mid01-04 are the 11" Both the T-45 and 3650 transmissions are 10-spline input shaft, the T-56 from the 03-04 cobras are the 26-spline. The centerforce dual friction is the best clutch I have ever used in my car. I have had the stock clutch, then a spec stage 2 which was terrible and got rock solid by the end of its life, then a King Cobra clutch, and now the Centerforce DF. I have also drivin cars with the spec stage 1 which was also stiff and released too quick for my liking, and the fidanza 2.1, which was almost as good as the Centerforce. In my opinion, stay away from spec and you will be good, they are very "hit and miss" The centerforce would be my first choice followed by any Fidanza clutch, they are both smooth and powerful and don't wear out your leg. The King Cobra is great if you are on a budget and don't have plans of exceeding 400 ft-lbs or so but it will heat up after about 5 consecutive passes and start slipping a bit, but after a quick cool down it is right back where it was and lasts pretty long.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread