Coupe vs. 'Vert (Opinions Please)

SVT Pille

Established Member
So I'm in the market to buy my first Terminator. I have a '94 Cobra coupe right now (see sig) but I'm tossing around the idea of getting a 'vert if the right one pops up. I have no plans of building the car for the 1/4 like I did with my last car, I just want an awesome street car to cruise around in and do highway pulls with a reliable 550-600 wheel. I'm not going to throw a drag suspension on it, or cage it, or anything crazy like that.

Now that we've got that established I want to hear people's opinions on these cars with a ragtop. I' know it's gonna be sick in the summer, but how are they compared to the coupes? From what I've read they didn't come with Bilsteins and they weigh 100 pounds or so more, but I'm hoping its not like driving a boat. Pretty much I know there's going to be a sacrifice in performance and want to know if people are still happy with their cars.

And also, you guys can expect to see me in here a lot more often from now on, I live for these cars. I'm new to the modulars but I've been around Mustangs for a while, and pics will be posted once I pull the trigger on something!

03CobraSwap

Established Member
I wrecked my 03 vert not too long ago flipped a couple of times and we were completely fine i just got my eye hit with something.

Honestly if i was to do it all over ill get a coupe instead of a vert. Allot of wind issues and i think coupes look so much better.

All you need is some fuel mods & Ported blower i had those on my old 04 black cobra and made close to 550wrhp a little less.

flS/R

Established Member
when talking about the 03-04, the coupe just looks mean and all business.

nol300

Established Member
Coupe looks better imo and you don't get the wicked cowl shake and the coupe to me feels alot better. But you can't really go wrong either way.

FastNick01

Established Member
Coupes more mean, I do prefer a coupe over a vert for a cobra but when I had my 01 SS vert, there was no where else in the world I'd rather be then driving down the highway with the top down/windows at nightime. Couldn't ask for a better feeling. I would go with either or, both have their perks.

snakerider

SVT-DROP
Established Member
All 03/04 cobra came with Bilsteins. It all depends on you, what you want. Look at my sig vert can be fast too lol. Good luck with whatever you decide to get.

joseph.devenney

How hard could it be
Established Member
It's personal preference. I've had both and I absolutely love my vert! It even handles better/tighter than my coupe did, but the coupe suspension was all stock. If it's going to be a daily then I say coupe, weekend car/toy then go for the vert! Just my opinion, good luck either way.

lowflyn

Found my 03sbvert...
Established Member
Had never owned a vert before buying my 03.

From that point forward I will forever be a convertible person.

As far as fun factor, there is no comparison to putting the top down and still walking away from most of the cars on the road.

IMO, the vert is much more fun. Spend a little money on good subframes, decent suspension, and enjoy.

With all that said, the car is nowhere near a DD. Only driven on nice days unless absolutely necessary. Probably my only complaint is the cowl shake, but I've gotten 99% of it solved with stiffening the chassis.

There's a reason we have 3 verts and 2 coupes...the verts are more fun for a playtoy.

mach1033

Established Member
Being that it isnt going to be a drag car than go with a vert. I put MM coilovers on all 4 corners, MM CC plates, Ken Brown full subs, MM K member, MM A-arms, Full Tilt IRS bushing upgrade, strut tower brace and front/rear bumpsteer. I did all this cause I knew I was gonna be pushing 700hp and it handle it no problem. Zero shake when going over bumps or railroad tracks or you name it. The handling is second to none.

03cobraaa

Established Member
I like the 03/04 verts, but im just not a big fan of convertibles in general. I think the coupes look sick, but thats my opinion. Before I bought mine i found a dozen black verts for sale, but was never to sold on them to purchase them.

2003snake

Established Member
Our first was a coupe, second a vert...... No better feeling than top down in the summer! I personally think the verts look better than a coupe with the top up side by side. The vert with the 1 piece tonneau cover makes the vert look complete when the top is down...

Icecold

Established Member
I do love my vert and I think they look amazing with a light bar and the rear tunnel cover as long as the soft top colour goes with the car ex black on black or mine red on black... Not tan on black !

2003snake

Established Member
I do love my vert and I think they look amazing with a light bar and the rear tunnel cover as long as the soft top colour goes with the car ex black on black or mine red on black... Not tan on black !

I agree the lightbar is also a necessity, car does not look the same without one.....

I agree about the top, ours is the black top on our SB.

doubleb

Established Member
i had an 03 vert and it handled well, especially after some full lenght subframes and frt/rear strut braces. on the flip side it had a lot of raddles from the roof, over bumps, but thats to be expected. i will say this, coupe or vert, one of the baddest looking mustangs!

10thSVT_03

Doin it!
Established Member
LOVE my vert. Will always have a droptop. Nothing better than someone pulling up and giggling that oh it's a convertible how fast could it be. Than they get a reality check. Yeah it's faster than your coupe :)

Oh I have NO wind or rattle issues and the car just has full length connectors on it.

Last edited:

1320 Junkie

Established Member
My wife seems to like my 700+ hp vert.....no rattles or anything in my vert..no cowl shake either. I think some have it more than others, I had one coupe and 2 verts...my vert feels no different than my 03 coupe did. Vert has Steeda subframes.

IMAG0358.jpg

IMAG0362.jpg

IMAG0361.jpg
o

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread