Couldn't Resist...03 Cobra vs 5th Gen Camaro SS

Sick03Vert

Banned
First off, it is good to be back! Been a long time since I've posted because I actually sold my Redfire Metallic Convertible. :nonono::cryying:

But...all is good now as yesterday I purchased a 2003 Torch Red 10th Anniversary Coupe with 15k miles! :bowdown: So far I'm loving it and can't wait to spend more time behind the wheel.

Anyway, on to the story. I was out cruising around last night just getting used to the car again. As I'm going along a long stretch of highway, I see this 5th Gen Camaro coming up. I didn't think much of it until he decided to get next to me and give me the old "I wanna see what you have" rev. Clearly it was an LS3 with at least exhaust. I debated on whether or not to race the car I JUST BOUGHT like an hour before...for about 2 seconds anyway.:thumbsup: I mean, I am pretty much obligated to defend the honor of the Terminator against that particular car.

So, I decided to drop down to second (we were only rolling around 35...this is a rural highway with no other cars around) but before I had a chance to honk he decided to just take off...so I punched it. Yep..this car runs just as hard as I remember.:eek: Honestly, I didn't want to push her hard so I was shifting out around 5400 rpm or so, especially once I realized I was pulling this Camaro HARD. I let out around 90 or so with about 1 - 1 1/2 cars on it.

Apparently, this had gotten his attention as he decided to go again. I figured okay...one more time, but this time I will go from third. :dw: Again, the Camaro left early...but this time from around a 45 - 50 roll. Even in a, shall we say, less than desirable gear, I still jumped past and by 90 again had him by maybe a car....he did get a considerable jump.

So after the second run, I see him coming up again and I told my brother who was with me, "That's it...I'm not going to run again." I figured that was what the guy wanted. Instead, he rolled his window down and gave a :thumbsup: and said, "Nice car!" :eek::dw: Couldn't believe it as most SS owners I have come across, 5th gen that is, are mostly d-bags. So I complimented back and that was that. 2 good, solid runs on a brand-new-to-me car. Not sure it was the smartest thing to do, but...it was definitely the most fun.:rockon:

Side note and not a kill story...when I was on the test drive in the car, I had a foxbody 5.0 come up behind me. I figured he was going to try to play and I wasn't going to take the bait in a car that wasn't mine...YET. ;-)

Anyway, he came alongside at the next stoplight and asked, "You gonna buy that?" Of course the answer was yes, but with the sales guy next to me I wasn't going to give up any leverage so I replied with a "Maybe..I'm thinking about it." The guy says back, "That is one badass car...if it sits on their lot too long I may wind up getting it myself."

Damn...there went my leverage. :lol1:

RocketSurgeon

Established Member
Nice kill! I'd agree that most of the SS owners I have met are pretty douchey. I did meet a 1LE owner a few weeks back that was actually a really cool guy, though. I asked if he wanted to do a few pulls and he said, 'why? you know you're going to win' :rolling: . He had actually just traded in his '11 5.0 and had wanted a GT500 but couldn't stomach the price.

That's funny about the guy in the Fox kind of screwing you on the car deal. I had the same thing happen with my Boss. Played like I wasn't sure I wanted it for a few hours, going back and forth, etc. Worked well until another youngish guy drives up in an older C AMG, walks in the showroom and asks how much they want and says that he was ready to write a check. Bastard. I still got a pretty good deal, though.

Sick03Vert

Banned
Haha..yeah I did get a kick out of that. There's always someone after the exact car I'm looking at. :-D

An 03 Cobra coupe has always been my dream car. I don't know why, but the convertibles I've had just weren't the same. No disrespect to anyone who likes them, heck they are awesome cars, but for me...I just always wanted a coupe.

I had a 99 GT with a 5-speed that I drove for seven years. Loved that car. Wasn't the fastest BY FAR, but I had done some work to it and it "talked" to me, if that makes any sense.

When I sold that car, I bought an 03 Cobra convertible with 40k on it in Dark Shadow Gray Metallic. At the time, I didn't know about the head tick and everything but as I researched, I found out that my new Cobra pretty much had ALL those common issues. :fm::cuss:

So, I wound up selling that one and going through an 08 BMW 335xi coupe, a 2004 Pontiac GTO, 2006 Mustang GT, 2008 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT, 2006 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT, 2011 Chevrolet Impala :)??:), 2012 Camaro Coupe RS, 2012 Coupe SS, 2003 Ford Mustang Cobra convertible in Redfire Metallic, 2013 GMC Sierra Z71 Crew Cab :)??:), and a few others within three years before FINALLY scoring this Cobra. :eek:

Yup...the dealership loves me. BUT, I will say I got very good deals on all my trades and never lost more than 1 or 2 thousand. With this car though, the chain is broken as I plan on driving it until I'm no longer able to. And I'm 32 right now. :):beer:

RocketSurgeon

Established Member
So, I wound up selling that one and going through an 08 BMW 335xi coupe, a 2004 Pontiac GTO, 2006 Mustang GT, 2008 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT, 2006 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT, 2011 Chevrolet Impala :)??:), 2012 Camaro Coupe RS, 2012 Coupe SS, 2003 Ford Mustang Cobra convertible in Redfire Metallic, 2013 GMC Sierra Z71 Crew Cab :)??:), and a few others within three years before FINALLY scoring this Cobra. :eek:

Holy shit, haha. I thought it was bad that I just picked up the Boss and am now looking at new trucks to replace my F150, but damn, man, that's a long list.

What didn't you like about the 335xi? I wanted an n54 car for a while but my Audi turned me off of turbo'd 6s after all the problems I had with it.

Sethsual

Established Member
When I sold that car, I bought an 03 Cobra convertible with 40k on it in Dark Shadow Gray Metallic......

:bowdown::bowdown:
I thought I went through cars like water. Holy hell, man..

Sick03Vert

Banned
Well, I did go through way too many way too fast. But at least now I'm happy, right? :banana:

Anyway, the 335xi was a very nice car...but it was ALWAYS in the shop. And after fixing the air conditioning, replacing the battery (I was not aware that BMW actually requires that their cars be driven 30 miles a day to charge properly and that not doing that voids any warranty on the battery), fixing the driver's side seat rail, repainting the hood...the list was expensive and kinda long for a 2008 with 35k miles IMO.

If I had never driven a big V8, I probably would have been happy. But I went from a 2002 Corvette coupe M6 to that car...and the torque was just non-existent. Plus after I installed aftermarket exhaust, the car rattled so bad I was stuffing stress balls into the cupholders to keep the trim quiet. :fm::cuss:

After that, I was done.

Sick03Vert

Banned
:bowdown::bowdown:
I thought I went through cars like water. Holy hell, man..

Haha...yeah...it's bad when you walk in the dealer and everybody, even the receptionist, knows who you are. :-D

I left a few out that list, like my 2002 Corvette that I now see I didn't list. I'm just glad to finally find something that agrees with me, though I have to say, the payments do NOT. :eek: But hey, the mortgage is paid off...so why not right? :coolman:

mgmustang1

Established Member
Looks like your back on track with the right car to keep. I'm glad I waited for the last runs of the 03 cobra myself, which I've never had any trouble with from new. GL with the new ride and keep terminating those chevy's!

03 deadpool

Established Member
Gotta say im kinda jealous you owned your car an hour and get to run a new camaro i had my car for months and none of the camaros or challengers i have tried to race have bit, i get retarted kids in cobalts ,350zs.Nice kill have fun with the car.

GT500-lolz@MPG

Established Member
I had a camaro5 owner drive past me the other day in relatively slow traffic and he slowed down just to flick a cigg butt on the hood of my new '13... I was furious and he was lucky i was stuck in bumper to bumper..

Sick03Vert

Banned
I had a camaro5 owner drive past me the other day in relatively slow traffic and he slowed down just to flick a cigg butt on the hood of my new '13... I was furious and he was lucky i was stuck in bumper to bumper..

People who flick cigs out the window suck. That's one of my pet peeves. Sorry to hear about that.

Side note, nice ride! :thumbsup: It has been a long time since I was on the forum and I see a lot of "03/04 Cobra vs 5.0/GT500" hate going on. Just so ya know, I don't subscribe to that mess. I think ALL Mustangs are sweet, and we are all on the same team. :beer:

Sick03Vert

Banned
Looks like your back on track with the right car to keep. I'm glad I waited for the last runs of the 03 cobra myself, which I've never had any trouble with from new. GL with the new ride and keep terminating those chevy's!

Will do! :rockon:

Yeah, I'm definitely settled on this car. Even if it were to have issues, I'd fix it and keep on going. I feel really lucky to have found exactly what I wanted. I know a lot of people will say I should garage the car...but that's just not my mentality. Why garage it for the next guy to enjoy when I can get my money's worth out of it in fun factor?:coolman:

Sick03Vert

Banned
Gotta say im kinda jealous you owned your car an hour and get to run a new camaro i had my car for months and none of the camaros or challengers i have tried to race have bit, i get retarted kids in cobalts ,350zs.Nice kill have fun with the car.

Well my previous Cobras didn't get the chance to run any Camaros so I know what you mean. It'd be cool to run an SRT8 392 just for the heck of it, but they are rare around where I live. If you see a Challenger, it is likely a V6. Nothing wrong with that, but obviously not a good run to do. There is a ton of rice around here. Don't get me wrong, a good import is a good import. BUT...around here most of them look like they are sponsored by Pep Boys.:-D

03 deadpool

Established Member
I agree with you on being sponsored by pep boys.I do have to say 90% of the gt500 owners round here are doushey if i tell you awsome car dont tell me you paid 15grand over list to get the color or sent it to shelby in las vegas to get a pulley and a tune.

GT500-lolz@MPG

Established Member
People who flick cigs out the window suck. That's one of my pet peeves. Sorry to hear about that.

Side note, nice ride! :thumbsup: It has been a long time since I was on the forum and I see a lot of "03/04 Cobra vs 5.0/GT500" hate going on. Just so ya know, I don't subscribe to that mess. I think ALL Mustangs are sweet, and we are all on the same team. :beer:

Thats a bunch of bull, the 03-04 Cobra is EASILY one of my favorite cars.. the stance and look of the car are just pure evil and demonic I would NOT hesitate to jump on a Terminator Cobra if I could find one. Even to this day every time I see a termy I break my neck drooling over it!! :rockon:

03 deadpool

Established Member
I was not slamming all gt500 owners just most of the ones local to me its more about the money then being a car guy.At the dead freddies car show in ocean city last month met some of the coolest shelby owners ever.

Sick03Vert

Banned
Thats a bunch of bull, the 03-04 Cobra is EASILY one of my favorite cars.. the stance and look of the car are just pure evil and demonic I would NOT hesitate to jump on a Terminator Cobra if I could find one. Even to this day every time I see a termy I break my neck drooling over it!! :rockon:

:beer:

I feel the same way. I really like the new GT500s, but that's just too rich for my blood. I wanted an 03 Cobra so bad back when they first came out..I can remember going to the dealer and just begging to sit in one. Of course, I couldn't even dream of affording one at the time, especially with the insane insurance as I was 22 at the time. :eek:

One day I'm sure I will put a Shelby next to the 03 in the driveway. But for now I'm just excited to have the car I've always wanted sitting there. Did I pay too much? Most people will say yes. $23k is quite a bit for a Terminator, but it's a 1-owner with 15k miles and is a 10th Anniversary...can't really ask for much more than that. So for me, I felt the price was warranted. Plus, you only live once and can't take any of this with you, right? :beer:

I think I'm going to go for a drive before the work week kicks back up tomorrow. :coolman::dancenana:

Users who are viewing this thread