Could you do it for $5,000?

badazzar15

Banned
If someone offered you this deal, would you take it?

Climb into an undersized coffin, have the instructors fill it with water, shove 2 straws up your nostrils so you can breathe, then shut the lid and bury the coffin with you inside. Could you handle it if you had to stay in there for 8-12 hours? Would you do it for $5,000?

Bonus question: What Military school used to offer this 'panic night' training?

:beer:

Last edited:

tistan

Established Member
No way in hell I could do that, my fingers and toes would prune. Is this for real some sort of military training because that is some crazy shit?

Last edited:

badazzar15

Banned
No way in hell I could do that, my fingers and toes would prune. Is this for real some sort of military training because that is some crazy shit?

There have been 'stories' that this stuff used to go on in SERE school (C) back in the 80's/90's. I have had some ex-Green Berets say they saw that stuff. I think nowadays the worst thing you will encounter in SERE school is waterboarding, even as a SF operator. Waterboarding still sucks though man

LS2GTO

Established Member
The chances of those mere straws falling out of ur nostrils are pretty high, and then ur ****ed. If there was like one of those mouth thingies that scuba divers have then yes it would not be bad as all you had to do was deal with being there for 12 hours. But to have a great chance of drowning 5k is not worth it.

Plus, straws in ur nose would not let u breathe, if you're fully submerged in water then water would definitely go up ur nose as ur breathing and eventually drown ur lungs.

nodaksvt

ehhh?
Established Member
Why would SERE do that? I would imagine PJ's, but def not SERE. They are arrorgant instructors at best.

pyrocrazy

Established Member
even if you took that offer you couldnt breathe with just straws. the water would still get into your nose...

if you had some type of mask/better way to breathe then sure. staying underwater in tight and dark conditions isnt that bad.

LongshotSVT

I piss excellence
Established Member
SERE would have been my guess, but SERE works in different levels. I've been through level 1, really don't want to consider anything else. In regards to hearing that from ex-green berets... don't always bite into the ol' timers fish stories. Every generation like to talk the talk like they had it tougher. While they may have had it tougher, quite a bit of what you hear is exaggerated.

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
I keep my left lung full of water, and the right one at two-thirds. Otherwise I'd go critical and explode like a railroad tanker car full of nitro-methane. I only ever evacuate them and breathe freely when Earth is in imminent danger of alien invasion.

Even so ... I'm telling you right now no way in hell I could do the coffin thing! If I'm ever at a SVTP event and I see anyone with an undersize coffin, a pair of straws and a fifty-five gallon drum of water, I'm gonna go nuclear on them. The way I see it, if they have all that stuff, then they are up to no good.

Jim Snover

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread