Could use some help diagnosing a noise

hunterp

Established Member
I've got a noise that I believe to be the clutch or throwout bearing, but I'm having trouble pinning it down and could use some assistance.

The noise is a steady, repeating at quick intervals, whirring, ticking sound (not the best description, but the closest). The noise doesn't occur when the car is cold, just once it gets warmed up. The noise also goes away once I slow down to 20-15 mph. I've had it in a shop and they couldn't find it. The noise seems to be coming from the clutch area, but since sounds can transmit throughout the car, I can't say for absolute certainty. The car drives fine, but it's certainly annoying. I tried to get a recording, but my phone's mic wasn't really up to the task. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:

MG0h3

Established Member
Typically you can manipulate clutch/TOB noise with the clutch pedal at idle.

If this noise only happens when moving, I'd look at the driveshaft/ujoints, diff, wheels/bearings.

Ujoints can definitely click when dry.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

hunterp

Established Member
Typically you can manipulate clutch/TOB noise with the clutch pedal at idle.

If this noise only happens when moving, I'd look at the driveshaft/ujoints, diff, wheels/bearings.

Ujoints can definitely click when dry.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

The front wheel bearings were replaced during the initial attempt at a diagnosis as they had a small amount of play and it was thought to be the issue. The ujoint is certainly a possibility and it was one of the possibilities discussed. I was going to take it back and see if it could be pinned down this time. Thanks for the response.

Users who are viewing this thread