Could someone describe the vibe? I think I got it.

Redwing

Established Member
Ok. I had the car in last week for a service at 20,000KM. The clutch was replaced, and the tires rotated. The new clutch feels fine, and the car runs great. About 80MPH, it starts to vibrate. Not a shake, but a kind of humming rumbling ....vibration. Before the service, it was smooth as silk right up to 125MPH. What do you think; tires, driveline, did they re-install the tranny crooked,
By the way, no vibe at all in the lower gears, even winding out first and second to redline.

NyteByte

Pro-Freedom
Established Member
Sounds like you've described it exactly. I have the same problem. Vibe starts at around 75 and gets most pronounced at 80. It will sometimes be so bad that the rear-view mirror will shake so you can't see anything in it. Not good for a $35K car. An el-cheapo Hyundai wouldn't do this.

So far my dealer has no clue. They balanced the wheels thinking it would fix it, but it did not.

C'mon Ford! Figure this one out and issue a TSB already!

Redwing

Established Member
The maddening thing is that I didn't have this vibration before the service. I have 12,000 miles on the car, and one wonders why it would show up now.
I have to say that, as much as I love this car, it simply isn't as well put together as my '99GT vert. Two clutches, squeaky windows, paint blemishes, a new radio (it's on order, a sticky passenger seat, and lots of rattles. Even with the subframe connectors. My 99 was much more solid. In fact that's what sold it, because the purchaser couldn't get over how tight it was even at 65000 miles.
AND, for $50,000 CDN, you'd think there would be a light under the hood, gas cylinders to hold the hood up instead of a prop rod, and lighted door switches. My $18000 rental Tuarus had all that!
On the other hand, there's the "WOW Factor" when other people see it, and the rush when you plant your right foot!!

AzDropTop

Established Member
Is it possible when they rotated the tires you lost a few weights of the wheel and you are just out of ballance? Seems odd that your car would be fine and now after the rotation it's jingered up?

Shubathu

Established Member
Hi Redwing - please see new subject "THE VIBE II and other stuff please read". I entered it as a new subject to get it in front of the many others that have had this and other problems. Real sorry to hear of the caca that happened and I hope we can collectively act to get Ford to digest and act on the realities of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.

goinbyu

FLAME SUIT ON

Vibe issue aside, I don't know why anybody would buy an American car for fit and finish and quality interior acoutrements. Personally, I made peace with the fact that I wouldn't be getting a car with well designed interior and thoughtful touches throughout. I bought this car only for the drivetrain. If quality coachworks and ball bearing tested seams were important to me, i'd be driving something from Germany.

Users who are viewing this thread