Could bad intercooler hose to manifold o-rings cause overpressure and leaks?

Satin03

Established Member
Everytime I get the car under boost (usually above 14-16 psi) the intercooler tank springs a leak and creates a mess in the engine bay, it is first noticed as it blows through the passenger side hood vent onto the windshield. I looked at the stock plastic intercooler tank and it appears to be bowed out on the sides as if overpressurized and coolant around the cap.

Does this appear to be the result of bad o-rings? If so, can I just replace the rings or do I need to buy the complete hose assembly?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
Yes, but here's my take on it.
Start with a new cap as these stock caps fail especially if it's original. (research)
I had similar issues with my TF Intercooler tank and many people told me it was what you were suggesting.
The TRUTH
It was the lid on my tank. It needed a few different o-rings to keep it from leaking. Just look at the pics, it's terrible...

Here's my thread...
http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...oler-expansion-tank-leaking-bubbling-cap.html

Last edited:

Satin03

Established Member
Yes, but here's my take on it.
Start with a new cap as these stock caps fail especially if it's original. (research)
I had similar issues with my TF Intercooler tank and many people told me it was what you were suggesting.
The TRUTH
It was the lid on my tank. It needed a few different o-rings to keep it from leaking. Just look at the pics, it's terrible...

Here's my thread...
http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...oler-expansion-tank-leaking-bubbling-cap.html

That's exactly what my engine bay looks like. Just a mess around the reservior. I will go grab another cap and check it out. Of course, this always happens on a Sunday when Ford is closed! :cuss:

Satin03

Established Member
There is O rings there but I wouldnt think it would cause the isssue you are talking about. Post some pics if you can.

Check out Jomo's thread. That's what it looks like in my engine. I will say however that the intercooler tank was bowed out as if expanding under heat and pressure. not sure if thats normal.

shanezt

corn fed
Established Member
i had the exact same problem. it cost me plenty. i purchased a new cap first. still did it. then i bought a new aluminum tank, still did it. then i got mad and replaced the i/c pump and the manifold o-rings. ****ing thing STILL does it every once in a while. i gave up.

Satin03

Established Member
Update: Looks like my intercooler pump quit working. Not sure how this could produce overpressure in the tank but it's gotta be replaced regardless. Hopefully this will fix it. Crossing fingers!

Users who are viewing this thread