Coughing Cobra

monkeyspunk79

A Van Down by the River.
Established Member
I thought they were supposed to hiss...but mine seems to cough. Whenever I fill the gas tank, or the car sits after its warm, my car has a tendency to cough, and die once or twice before it begins to idle normally. If you feather the throttle, or clear it out once while its doing this, its fine.

Any thoughts? I've had this car for 3 weeks and its just started doing this...no big deal, but I want to fix it :)

Thanks!

SNK BITN

Established Member
Change your fuel filter and clean the K&N or air filter. Mine did the same thing a while back and I found that the MAF was filthy. How many miles does the car have on it?

monkeyspunk79

A Van Down by the River.
Established Member
Thanks for the advice, I'll get to that this weekend. Car has a Bassani O/R X-pipe and that's it. 48K miles on it. Fairly well maintained it seems, but I'm planning on throwing some fresh plugs, wires, filters and stuff on it this weekend.

Blue03Cobra

The Family Dinner Improv
Established Member
Originally posted by monkeyspunk79
What's the safest way to clean the MAF? Compressed air?
I wouldn't use compressed air. The filaments are extremely fine. Quick drying electrical connection spray cleaner is available at any parts store...cheap. Also, just air won't dissolve the oil. I have also heard success stories using rubbing alcohol and a q-tip. Be careful :-D

Cullen Wharton

END GAME!!!
Established Member
Originally posted by Blue98Cobra
I wouldn't use compressed air. The filaments are extremely fine. Quick drying electrical connection spray cleaner is available at any parts store...cheap. Also, just air won't dissolve the oil. I have also heard success stories using rubbing alcohol and a q-tip. Be careful :-D

I've heard the same Jimbo, rubbing alcohol and a Q-tip......

COBRASVT

Established Member
Originally posted by Cullen Wharton

I've heard the same Jimbo, rubbing alcohol and a Q-tip......

Never never never ever ever never ever touch the fillaments with anything!!!!

Contact cleaner from your local Radio Shack should be the only thing you use.

You will also need the security torx bits to take the mass air off because it has the little tit in the center of the torx.

You can pick up a cheap set from Autozone. (Torx with a hole in the center)

COBRASVT

Established Member
1. Have you checked the voltage of the TPS sensor yet. It is the middle wire on a 3 wire connection at the TB and should read around .98 at idle (you don't have to have the car running) and 4.something at WOT. Others should be able to give you better voltage readings.

2. Make sure the connection to the ACT connector is hooked up securely. It's just after the mass air meter.

3. Make sure there is not a leak btw the intake and the inlet tube...there is a plastic/rubber tube that routes btw the two and can cause serious idle problems.

EDIT Sorry....for #2, I had IAC connector....should have been ACT (Air Charge Temp) sensor....not the Idle Air Control valve...although checking that connection wouldn't be a bad idea either..who knows...:eek:

Last edited:

Cullen Wharton

END GAME!!!
Established Member
Originally posted by COBRASVT

Never never never ever ever never ever touch the fillaments with anything!!!!

Contact cleaner from your local Radio Shack should be the only thing you use.

You will also need the security torx bits to take the mass air off because it has the little tit in the center of the torx.

You can pick up a cheap set from Autozone. (Torx with a hole in the center)

Thanks for the heads up, never tried it, but now I know.....

monkeyspunk79

A Van Down by the River.
Established Member
Thanks for all the info everyone...I'm off this weekend so I'll have some time to play with her. Hasn't happened again but its time to do a thourough tune up. Thanks again!

Jon96cobra

Established Member
Well I cleaned the MAF and the Temp Sensor I'm not sure if that fixed the problem. I have been having the same problem on and off on my car too. I is there any other things to try? I will replace the fuel filter this weekend and see what happens in a couple weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread