Cost of Built Motor

TheBorkinator

Established Member
Hey all, just looking for some answers because I've gotten different answers from different sources. Currently my 2012 GT has a Paxton 2200sl and is making 640whp on an otherwise stock motor. Has Beefcake torque booster package, 1 7/8 shorty headers, Tremec Magnum XL with a McLeod RXT clutch, and strange axle.

I'm wanting to get my car to around the 850ish whp area. I know I'll need rods/pistons and an upgraded fuel system, but from what all I've read that's all I'll need. What am I missing? Local shop (that I won't be going back to for many other reasons) said that if I wanted to get to that power range it would cost me around $12k on the low end. I don't see where all the cost is coming from.

I'm seeing a fuel system that should support what I need for $1200 from Fore. Add $1800 to that if I'll need 1300cc injectors (currently have 1000cc). MMR has rods/pistons for $1200 or $1500 depending on if I get I-beam or H-beam (I assume H-beam is stronger)

All together that'll be around $4500. Are they telling me it'll cost $7500 in labor?

This is my first time ever delving into maybe building a motor so admittedly I don't entirely know what I'm doing or what all I'll need. I really just don't trust this shop. I don't want to cheap out and put trash parts in my car but I'm also not looking to spend a fortune.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I would imagine you're gonna pay 1200-1500 to remove and reinstall the motor.

Theres going to be charges for machining the block (i dont know at what point you need to sleeve a coyote block), billet oil pump gears, rings, bearings, likely ARP everything, all your gaskets, assembly time etc...just for the motor.

With what I've listed above you've taken a significant chunk of that 7500 already.

dont forget about being able to sell things like the 1000cc injectors if you upgrade to recoup a decent amount of cash.

Recon

Established Member
It’s not as simple as just slapping some rods and pistons in the car and calling it good. You’ll need various upgrades and replacement parts for a forged engine that’s making 850whp. As DSG stated that’s a healthy chunk of the remaining 7500 that you’ve estimated on your build.

Pick your poison.

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
add $3k to that build and ur close if u wanna do it right. I-beams are stronger the H-beams. u also need billet lower crankshaft gears, billet oil pump gears and ARP hardware. the block will hold that power easily. start pushing it past a 1000hp then sleeves are recommended.

Users who are viewing this thread