Corvette Vs. Cobra Thread-ding, ding, ding

bhamvett

Established Member
Captain Beyond said:
OK, a stock Terminator will easily beat a stock C5. :beer:

I would'nt go that far either. I have always wanted to race a stock 03-04 Cobra in my 2000 FRC. My car has 345hp, but only weighs about 3180lbs.
Compared to around 3700 for the Cobra. I think it might be interesting. My
FRC runs very well for a stock car. Easily a 12.9-12.8 car stock with the right driver.

GotGrunt

Established Member
bhamvett said:
I would'nt go that far either. I have always wanted to race a stock 03-04 Cobra in my 2000 FRC. My car has 345hp, but only weighs about 3180lbs.
Compared to around 3700 for the Cobra. I think it might be interesting. My
FRC runs very well for a stock car. Easily a 12.9-12.8 car stock with the right driver.
That's WAY too close to 2001 Z06 1/4 mile times... and those have 385 hp. Do you have any timeslips/dyno numbers? Also, the Z06's are like 3000-3100 lbs. The Z06 has magnesium wheels, no fogs, etc... and maybe that's why it's a little lighter :shrug:

bhamvett

Established Member
In stock form the FRC was a very low 13 second car. 13.2. And as we all know, a good driver can easily shave a couple of tenths off of those times with a little practice. And with some drag radials, I truely believe a few more tenths could be gained. I have owned several C5's, along with a ZR1, and this FRC is pretty close to my ZR1 from a stop. Now from a roll, that would be a totally different matter. The Z06 did weigh a little less than the FRC's, as it had thinner glass, and lighter rims. And the gear ratios were different also.
The Cobra has 390+hp stock, but remember it weighs around 3700lbs. My car weighs in about 3180 or so and has 345hp. Those power to weight numbers are very similiar.

GotGrunt

Established Member
My Cobra weighs around 3650 with all my stuff in it and welded on SFC's... W/O driver...

MM&FF got a 12.4 out of a BONE STOCK 2004 Cobra, but we all know that's not the avg. for these cars. I've seen PLENTY of 12.7-8's at the track though, completely stock. That's damn good! Now whether or not your FRC runs those times, that is not the norm for stock C5's... and I'm sure when someone said it easily beats STOCK C5's, they weren't talking about the 99-00 FRC models (althought they get beat as well, but not as bad) :D

Last edited:

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
RU NAZT said:
As a former C5 owner, I am pleased to say that I wised up and went back to a Cobra. I love my 03 Cobra and should have never sold my 98 superchaged Cobra to get a C5.

How many previous C5 owners do we have? I would tend to believe the Cobra has converted more C5 owners then vice versa.

I'd guess the same thing, about going from C5 to Cobra.. since I'm one of them, of course I went from a Cobra (97 model) to a 98 C5, and now back with an 03 Cobra..

bhamvett

Established Member
Well I kind of went the other way. Back in the day, I traded a pristine 87 Corvette for a brand new 1993 Cobra and hated every minute of the Mustang. I sold that car in about 1 month and went back to a Corvette. And I have pretty much driven Corvettes ever since then, for a total of 8. I really like 10th Anniversary Edition 03 Cobra's, but I just don't want to buy one and be sorry that I sold my Corvette. There is a 03 Anniversary here in town right by my house with 13,000 miles(coupe). Not a scratch. What do you guys think?

Emil

Established Member
Honestly I love both cars, I'm a Ford guy so the Vette was not a consideration although if it was priced in the same ballpark I may have drifted.
Imagine if Ford would have figured out a way to get 400 lbs out of the car at its current price level (ahh, dream on) .....
USA all the way!

GotGrunt

Established Member
bhamvett said:
I am going to go drive the Cobra today. The 10th Anniversary Edition would be nice,
you don't see too many in my area.
Do it... You won't regret it! Seriously :D

silvercoffin

Established Member
ahhh

Whipple is coming soon.. Then they cant touch me and I still payed less than they did but I own a Mustang

Although I have yet to be beat by a Vette at the track.. Just raced a brand new one a few weeks ago. He ran 12.9 to my 11.9.. How much does a new Vette cost anyway?

Hell I like Vettes...there the only cars that give cobras a decent race...even though we win every time... They look nice but I like the look of the stang more and I dont like the stereo type of the "mid life" crisis car hehe

Users who are viewing this thread