Correction via Rupes

mcate

Established Member
Spent the day detailing my buddy's 05 GT. The swirls in this car's paint have been kicking my butt for the last couple of yrs. Car has been repainted, & the clear is super hard. I started on the trunk lid with my PC, an orange pad, & Menz FG400. After multiple passes I was making VERY little progress. My buddy came over with his Rupes & microfiber pads, & all I can say is I gotta get me one of these! I started using it with the FG400, & the swirls had met their match! We finished it with Menz SF4500, & a coat of Menz PL. Now it looks glassy & wet, & swirl-free!

DSC_0375_zps60f0fcb3.jpg

DSC_0378_zpsd8797f65.jpg

DSC_0376_zpsd31f4ed0.jpg

DSC_0380_zps5e271c56.jpg

20140607_161902_zpsab207e06.jpg

DSC_0403_zps410ff0ce.jpg

hoamskilet

Established Member
Microfiber pads + Rupes is the shiznit. Before you spend the big bucks on the Rupes I'd pick up some micro pads to try on your PC, you might be pleasantly surprised

mcate

Established Member
Microfiber pads + Rupes is the shiznit. Before you spend the big bucks on the Rupes I'd pick up some micro pads to try on your PC, you might be pleasantly surprised

You know, I was thinking just that this morning. I never used microfiber pads before this, & I noticed Megs makes them for their D/A. And it doesn't seem too much different than the PC.

coolcobramatt

Mystified and terminated
Established Member
I'm offering my Rupes le15 up for trade down to a 7424 and cash (from you) if anyone is interested in a major upgrade.

NastyGT500

Naples Premier Detailer!
Established Member
Surbuf or any of the other microfiber pads work very well on almost any polisher/brand. Give them a shot and tell us what you think! That being said...I love my Rupes polishers! The 12 is so far my favorite...

Last edited:

va boy

Established Member
I'd love to upgrade to the Rupes, but for now I'm using a Griots Garage 6". I had the same experience as you. I started with my GG and an orange foam pad, knocked it down a lot, but still left some light scratches/swirls. So, I switched up pads and went with a microfiber, problem fixed, looked wet and 3 feet deep. Those microfibers do great work, you just have to be sure and clean them with your brush between each panel, but well worth the effort IMO.

AdamR@Gotham

Established Member
I love my Rupes. I also have a Flex but I havent used it since I bought the Rupes. I like the Meguiers microfiber pads best. I find the surbuffs a bit to aggressive. I also like the Meguiers D300 compound.

RC-5.0

Established Member
ANyone know how good the "mini" (75E) model is? Im looking at this to help me buff/polish my Coil covers when I paint them, but they cost $300.

RC

Merlinii

Worlds Shiniest HD F-150!
Established Member
Pads and KBM make a HUGE difference. I prefer using a 5" backing plate.

I also like Megs D300 or M101 with the Megs 5" microfiber finishing discs.

Another is...
Scholl Concepts 5 1/2" Spider Sandwich Pad with FG400 makes a great combo.

Users who are viewing this thread