Corn Fed Ported Cobra.... What do I need?

SF4.6GT

Mr. Drove Them All
Established Member
So we recently got e85 in my local town so i figured it was the way to go since i had plans on doing a Posi Port over the winter season. My car currently has a 2.8 upper so i had planned on sticking with that and possibly adding a 4lb lower... So my biggest question is what all will i need for a safe, good running, corn fed port blower car? Will a KB BAP with injectors do the job for fuel or will i need a diff pump in general..

Suggestions on injector size, BAP, MAF are needed!

Thanks in advance guys!

Gimmie ova'!:banana:

SVTDice

Established Member
Well, If E85 Ever comes my direction I'll be doing this as well.

What I plan on doing is Dual Ford GT Pumps, 80's Lb Injectors, Dual FPDM and Upgraded wiring. I also have a BAP. So that Should Be enough fuel pumping for a 2.8 and a 4Lb.

Don't hold me to this but I'll double check, Just to make sure. I'm pretty sure the above fuel system would not hold if you decided to go Twin Screw however...

lemosley01

Right Wing Conspirator
Established Member
AFAIK, you don't need E85 for a ported Eaton. 93 should be fine, provided it is tuned properly.

E85 isn't much cheaper/gallon (if any), but it doesn't have as much energy, so it ends up costing more.

If you want to go E85, don't screw with porting your blower. Upgrade to a bigger whipple/KB and raise the boost, where E85 will be more useful (since it is cheaper than race gas).

New Edge

Screaming 2.2!
Established Member
^ in a comparison of e85 to 93 in terms of cost effectiveness (lol) the e85 may burn faster and you fill up more and thus spend more but in terms of performance the e85 is like running race gas. you can't compare the advantages of e85 to pump gas it's just not possible.

lemosley01

Right Wing Conspirator
Established Member
It is like race gas, but for a ported car only, it makes about as much sense as race gas.
- the Eaton can only be spun so hard and it (the Eaton) is your limiting factor.

One advantage of E85 is you do get a larger margin of safety.

One disadvantage is that if you drive somewhere else, it may not be available.

Now, if the longer term plans are to go with a bigger blower and make a lot more boost...

lemosley01

Right Wing Conspirator
Established Member
So, being able to run more timing isn't worth the effort on a ported eaton car? Weird. My friends dyno tells different stories :)

If you are upgrading the fuel system and will run E-85, I don't see the point in 'wasting' those upgrades on a ported car.

I'm assuming that the upgrades needed are beyond what a standard ported car would require anyway...is that incorrect?

How much timing and power difference is it (given the same level of boost?)

Last edited:

Shadow Grey 03

Established Member
If you are upgrading the fuel system and will run E-85, I don't see the point in 'wasting' those upgrades on a ported car.

I'm assuming that the upgrades needed are beyond what a standard ported car would require anyway...is that incorrect?

How much timing and power difference is it (given the same level of boost?)

The "wasting" comment is an opinion, which some would agree with you and some would disagree. Those that disagree are the ones who are trying to get the most out of a certain combo. If you are upgrading to a ported blower with an upper/lower pulley combo you will most likely be getting injectors anyway, so that cost would be the same. It would be a little more to go with the upgrades with the pumps and lines over the BAP though. This isn't a bad thing as you can have it in place for if or when you decide to upgrade the blower.
As an example, my car on 93 was tuned the same day as another ported eaton car on E-85. Same port job and same boost. It made 25 wheel more than mine. Timing was set at 26 or 27 on that car and 22 on mine.
Personally, I would love to run E-85, but I am spending money on other things right now so that isn't an option. I have to get the suspension in order before more power is thrown at it.

rudycobra

Established Member
Y can't people just the guys question. Instead of give their opinion . I too would swap if it becomes readily available . I allready have 60's bap , twin gt pos stock hat , lethals fuel line upgrade with fore rails . Curious to wat else I would need too ?

Shadow Grey 03

Established Member
Y can't people just the guys question. Instead of give their opinion . I too would swap if it becomes readily available . I allready have 60's bap , twin gt pos stock hat , lethals fuel line upgrade with fore rails . Curious to wat else I would need too ?

Most likely 80's. I assume that you already have MAF help, so that would be what you would need.

lemosley01

Right Wing Conspirator
Established Member
Y can't people just the guys question. Instead of give their opinion .

Because sometimes someone doesn't consider all the angles. This is a 'discussion' board. Sorry that you don't like it, but that's the way it is.

Shadow, thanks for the info, I was thinking there was much more involved (injector, pump, BAP, etc) required and it doesn't make sense (to me) if you're just stopping at the ported blower.

And there is the cost of it when you aren't driving around on boost (which is most of the time), but I'm thinking of my own situation where I regularly drive my car - not everyone does that.

How much headroom do 60# and 80# injectors give you with E85?

SVTDice

Established Member
E85's Benifits are endless honestly. 106+ Octane and E98 has a octane of 117, So...You can Bump up the timing to 27 + You can also run higher boost and be much safer. Myself I Plan on doing a 2.76 + 6lb and yes I know that setup is almost unheard of on a Ported Eaton. But it would not be possible without E85. I'm just waiting for the station closer to me to get it.

Anyways, to go E85 Is alot cheaper then going Twin Screw. For the most part, And for Injectors I thought it was Around 550 RWHP On E85 With 60's and about 750 Or so with 80's. But I may be wrong. I thought there was a 30% More fuel Rule?

sn94cobra

Corn-aholic
Established Member
Somerset now has e85?
If so my prayers are answered. I go to the some rites cruise and always have to change my tune to 93 octane which prevents me from running it hard.
Which station has it?

Users who are viewing this thread