Cops in hot water

TERMIN8TR

Established Member
I guess once again what's good for the goose is NOT good for the gander. At twice the speed limit these guys are merely cited and released?

"The Ohio Highway Patrol released the dashboard camera video Friday that shows the amiable encounter -- with plenty of chuckles and back-slapping -- between three motorcyclists and two uniformed patrol troopers in June on Interstate 70 near Buckeye Lake."

One cop was scamming workman's comp too, not surprised there either. The real surprise is that they make $34.00 dollars an hour? WOW....wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too overpaid.

"Although the video rolls for 14 minutes, the sound apparently is turned off by Granville Post Trooper Bryan Lee shortly after a second on-duty trooper leaves the scene."

What's up with that? I'm sure your average Joe would get the same treatment?

Gallows

Make My Day... N/A
Established Member
"I was 100 percent wrong. I made a mistake," Highsmith said, adding he did not want or expect leniency."

But he doesn't want to lose his license. I'm sure he would do the same for someone he caught doing the same thing:kaboom:

hunterp

Established Member
It's hard to say whether or not the officer(s) were getting preferential treatment by the court in regards to the one gentleman getting to drive a cruiser as opposed to a bike from the article. Would an ordinary person be allowed to keep their license while the issue worked itself out in the courts? What does the law say? These are issues not answered by the article.

As for the second article, while it looks like the encounter was amiable, tickets were issued, so it seems to me that the officers who performed the stop did their job. If we're going to quote newspaper articles, we should at least quote the whole article instead of the bits and pieces that support the viewpoint we support.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
As for the second article, while it looks like the encounter was amiable, tickets were issued, so it seems to me that the officers who performed the stop did their job. If we're going to quote newspaper articles, we should at least quote the whole article instead of the bits and pieces that support the viewpoint we support.

Exactly.

He pled not guilty and it will go to trial, If he had pled guilty the judge was gonna suspend his license just as they would do with anyone else.

Looks like the court system isn't giving any special treatment.

vegaspackerfan

13 NFL championships!
Established Member
Really 147 MPH in a 65! Nice move by an individual who should know that riding at 147 MPH on a public roadway is the true sign of an idiot. I guess the guy has zero common sense and enjoys putting his life and the lives of others at risk because of his stupid actions.

bilde

Even though Jason E. Highsmith, 35 has a badge hopefully the judge will treat him like any other person accused of doing 147-mph in a 65-mph zone. If he loses his job because of his actions, good. Being a Highway Patrol trooper he should know better. He only has himself to blame for every and anything that happens to him.

VPF

TERMIN8TR

Established Member
I would like to see what the final outcome of this case will be. I will bet that his punishment as well as his treatment will differ from that of a non leo.

TERMIN8TR

Established Member
An ordinary person usually doesn't stand the possibility of losing their livelihood :)

I'm quite sure cops aren't the only one's that can lose their jobs for this. Regardless, they should be treated as anyone else who puts themselves in that position should be treated. But they won't.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
I'm quite sure cops aren't the only one's that can lose their jobs for this. Regardless, they should be treated as anyone else who puts themselves in that position should be treated. But they won't.

How do you know? It is already worse than a non L.E.O. as they are splattered all over the news.

So, if one person (non L.E.O.) in that state was let off for the same or similar violation then the off-duty officer should be eligible to receive the same disposition? Or if a non L.E.O. with the same or similar violation didnt lose his license, then it would be okay for the L.E.O. not to lose his license as they would be getting treated the same?

TERMIN8TR

Established Member
How do you know? It is already worse than a non L.E.O. as they are splattered all over the news.

So, if one person (non L.E.O.) in that state was let off for the same or similar violation then the off-duty officer should be eligible to receive the same disposition? Or if a non L.E.O. with the same or similar violation didnt lose his license, then it would be okay for the L.E.O. not to lose his license as they would be getting treated the same?

Past history is a very good indicator of future practice.

I was under the impression that in most jurisdictions with an offense of MORE than double the speed limit that the vehicles got towed? Not these guys, they get a pat on the back a few laughs and permitted by fellow cops to continue on their merry way even after putting other motorists lives at risk.
Huh, I'm confused.

Oh yeah, here is an 18 yo splattered all over the news too:

18-year-old cited for reckless operation after allegedly driving 100 mph

By Morning Journal Staff
[email protected]

LORAIN — An 18-year-old man was cited for reckless operation for allegedly driving up to 100 mph on Oberlin Avenue on Friday night, according to Lorain police.

Gary J. Skinner, of Amherst, was cited for allegedly speeding past a Lorain police cruiser while driving a yellow 1999 Ford Mustang southbound on Oberlin Avenue, a police report said.

About 9:01 p.m., the officer estimated the Mustang was moving 80 to 100 mph in a 35 mph zone, the report said. The officer was sitting immobile after investigating an earlier call of a break-in nearby.

"The driver of this vehicle clearly saw me where I was sitting and upon seeing me pull into traffic in an attempt to stop him, continued at this high rate of speed through the intersection at Cooper Foster Park Road and Oberlin Avenue in an attempt to elude me," the report said. The car headed west on North Ridge Road in Amherst and had to maneuver around stopped traffic to avoid a collision in the intersection, the report said.

A short time later, an Amherst police officer later stopped the Mustang and police took Skinner into custody. When asked why he was driving at such a high rate of speed, Skinner stated "because I'm stupid," the report said.

Skinner's car was impounded, the report said

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Past history is a very good indicator of future practice.

I was under the impression that in most jurisdictions with an offense of MORE than double the speed limit that the vehicles got towed? Not these guys, they get a pat on the back a few laughs and permitted by fellow cops to continue on their merry way even after putting other motorists lives at risk.
Huh, I'm confused.

Oh yeah, here is an 18 yo splattered all over the news too:

18-year-old cited for reckless operation after allegedly driving 100 mph

By Morning Journal Staff
[email protected]

LORAIN — An 18-year-old man was cited for reckless operation for allegedly driving up to 100 mph on Oberlin Avenue on Friday night, according to Lorain police.

Gary J. Skinner, of Amherst, was cited for allegedly speeding past a Lorain police cruiser while driving a yellow 1999 Ford Mustang southbound on Oberlin Avenue, a police report said.

About 9:01 p.m., the officer estimated the Mustang was moving 80 to 100 mph in a 35 mph zone, the report said. The officer was sitting immobile after investigating an earlier call of a break-in nearby.

"The driver of this vehicle clearly saw me where I was sitting and upon seeing me pull into traffic in an attempt to stop him, continued at this high rate of speed through the intersection at Cooper Foster Park Road and Oberlin Avenue in an attempt to elude me," the report said. The car headed west on North Ridge Road in Amherst and had to maneuver around stopped traffic to avoid a collision in the intersection, the report said.

A short time later, an Amherst police officer later stopped the Mustang and police took Skinner into custody. When asked why he was driving at such a high rate of speed, Skinner stated "because I'm stupid," the report said.

Skinner's car was impounded, the report said

Excellent job of not answering the question.

Here it is again.

FordSVTFan said:

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
either way I think an LEO should be held to a higher standard, they are in the business of enforcing the law not breaking it, just as doctors and lawyers are held to higher standards in their professions.

Whether the court considers that is yet to be seen, but I do feel that the officers will not get any less of a punishment than any other citizen, the court has all eyes on them and will make an example if they can.

BTW if he was only 15 or 20 miles over the speed limit that is a different story, many people have done that and its more understandable and still against the law and should be ticketd as such, but 147 is not understandable it is deliberate and extreamly more dangerous than the average speeder.

And lastly just because one cop does something stupid and reckless you cannot label all cops the same way just because of the actions of a few.

Last edited:

STR8JAKT

Tis but a Scratch
Established Member
Excellent job of not answering the question.

Here it is again.

I believe he did... since the answer is an obvious yes, it was taken further to represent the only time someone gets to "walk away" with this crap is someone with a badge, certainly not john q. public. And you can't tell me for a second that if you were stopped for a vtl violation, you would say here's my license, not my badge? And furthermore this is a blatant representation of the double standards and hypocrisy that exists in plenty of law enforcement communities across the country.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread