Cops! Don't chase motorcycles

CEV

Established Member
Cops usually arent allowed to chase people speeding at excessive speeds, especially bikes... Just recently a guy on long island was killed because a cop was chasing a motorcyclists, and the cop was blowing the red light in pursuit and slammed into a guy making a left hand turn killing him. The cop is facing charges.

to top it off the guy was driving a fox body :cryying:

The Foe Hammer

Established Member
Damn! That's sad.
A Georgia State Trooper had a Suzuki bike pulled over on I20 last week. I looked like a little 600 or something, guess the guy was scared of him. I seriously doubt a Gixxer 1000 would've stopped.

I know the times that I've been stopped when I was doing about 80, it took the cops a while before they caught up with me coming from a dead stop, and I started slowing down a bit. I can imagine a bike seeing a cop on the side of the road starting from a dead stop. He'll put about 1/2 mile on him before he even starts good....:nonono:

70mach1

Established Member
that sux but its kinda ass backwards how they guy who was running gets away scott free and the cop can face 20 yrs, should be the other way around.

speeddemon2000

Established Member
So the motorcyclist was speeding 100+ the motorcyclist see's the cop and slow's down to stop and or stops and the cop is doing 120+ to catch wrecks and kills two people. The motorcylcist drives off and is not charged. Very weird. I guess if they had fleeing charges on him he would be facing 20 years as well. Bascially from my understanding if you are committing any felony and someone dies even if it's indirectly you can be charged with some form of murder, manslaugher or what not. Personally I don't think cops should chase bikes. I would much rather be passed by several bikes at 120+ than a 5000 pound police cruzier.

fiveohpoepoe

Established Member
Very tragic.Made a very poor decision and decisions are based in a flash on normal basis.Not calling it this way,but if he had time to catch up and give chase...should have stopped it once he knew it was too dangerous.My sympathy goes out to the families f those injured and killed

BBriBro

Established Member
Let me start by saying this seems to be an extreme case. At first glance it seems odd that the police officer gets charged and the "criminal" doesn't. Obviously they were accidents, the police officer was doing his job, in pursuit, not merely speeding for some unknown reason, with no lights on, just "apparently" abusing the privileges (that's another topic all together)

Now I'm going to expose myself to some ridicule here, but the truth is that there are plenty of people out there that are more capable drivers than the run of the mill police officer, and almost always in more capable vehicles. It may or may not be relevant in this thread, because I have no idea what the details are, but this got me thinking about so many of the high speed chase videos, and I guess the fault is with the Media, as they make up total BS and practically "taunt" the criminal with their dramatic comments, and the officers themselves are not without fault, granted the adrenalin is pumping, but many times their words are not truthful either, a recent video on here showed a guy making u-turn right in front of the officer, he was merely changing directions and the officer radioed that "the suspect attempted to ram my cruiser" granted, he was running from the law, which is a no-no, but that doesn't mean he was out to kill the cop. How many times does a car go barreling through an intersection and the media says stuff like "he nearly mows down a pedestrian" Running a red light in a straight line, with a pedestrian standing on the sidewalk doesn't mean he nearly got hit. and then there are videos like these where the suspect out drove (or just got lucky) and the cop was the one that wrecked, it's not often, but it does happen. If a guy is in a Vette or a Cobra driving 130 MPH on the highway, does that automatically mean he is going to lose control? We know the car is capable, the driver just "might" be too. Heck, he could be a friggen race car driver that got in a fight with his wife and needed to blow off steam. I'm not condoning running from the cops, but I just don't like all the false accusations from the media just to make a good story. How many of us play around in empty parking lots, or just get sideways in the rain just for a split second just for fun...or look for unplowed parking lots in the winter time? Or relish the opportunity to drive a rear wheel drive car in the snow, when everyone else is ready to buy a damn SUV. I'd say most of us, I like to consider my skills above average, while you'll never see me in a high speed chase on T.V. I do enjoy driving, and that stuff most of us on this site enjoy would most certainly be considered wreckless, but we all know that's not entirely true. I guess this is more a rant against the media, for assuming any type of high speed or high performance driving is "out of control" Then when the one that does lose control is the officer, everyone gets even more mad at the suspect. I guess the high speed chase videos are like a train wreck, you just can't help but watch them, even though you know it's wrong.

Last edited:

Invictus

Banned
Regardless of how fast of a speed your car is capable of reaching, or how competent you are as a driver, nothing justifies putting other people's safety at risk. There are posted speed limits for a reason and if you are driving excessively fast, your chances of losing control are increased therefore your chances of hurting somebody else are increased.

If you want to drive fast or "blow of some steam" there are places designated for just that.

I don't have all the facts but in this case, it sounded like the officer avoided protocol. Had he called in as he should have prior to persuit, he may have been called off and the wreck could have been prevented. But at the same time i'm sure the officer had good intentions and two counts of vehicular manslaughter does seem like a LOT. I also disagree with the fact that the motorcyclist gets off without a slap on the wrist. In my opinion it was he who caused this, the officer simply made some bad spur of the moment decisions that ultimately cost 2 innocent people their lives.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
Regardless of how fast of a speed your car is capable of reaching, or how competent you are as a driver, nothing justifies putting other people's safety at risk. There are posted speed limits for a reason and if you are driving excessively fast, your chances of losing control are increased therefore your chances of hurting somebody else are increased.

If you want to drive fast or "blow of some steam" there are places designated for just that.

I don't have all the facts but in this case, it sounded like the officer avoided protocol. Had he called in as he should have prior to persuit, he may have been called off and the wreck could have been prevented. But at the same time i'm sure the officer had good intentions and two counts of vehicular manslaughter does seem like a LOT. I also disagree with the fact that the motorcyclist gets off without a slap on the wrist. In my opinion it was he who caused this, the officer simply made some bad spur of the moment decisions that ultimately cost 2 innocent people their lives.

+1
And to add, The motorcycle guy should face the charges with the office if not FOR him. IMO

BBriBro

Established Member
true, but lets take a look at the autobahn. granted they have some hellacious pile ups, but as a nation, their statistics are better, maybe it's because you need to PROVE some level of competency to get a license.....I don't have to tell you about all the blue hairs or soccer moms here that don't look past the hood ornament. where do we draw the line?

I guess my point is hard to make, but an "enthusiast" in a new Corvette (at triple digit speeds) IMO is not as risky as some inexperienced teenager seeing how fast dads explorer will go with his buddies chanting from the back seat.

05blast

Prayers go out to the families here. its a tragic event. recently there was a case in our area where an officer was killed and the suspect was charged with
manslaughter.
I had though about this and for those who say the speeder should be the
one faced with the charges...it makes sense because its tragic.
where would that end though?
if i made an illegal lane change, roll a stop sign, travel 25mph over, just do something thats improper and the officer makes a bad judgment call or didnt see the vehicle he just pulled out in front of which causes a horrible accident.
should i be facing manslaughter?
I think most to all people on the forum at one point or another have broken our said speeding laws.
there isnt enough info here to say why the speeder got off. he probably was
issued his speeding tickets but all would be minor.
either way its a terrible thing but i still wouldnt vote for a law that would
cause me to face the charges of a reckless officer while performing a minor infraction.

scotts99snake

Established Member
Man. I don't even know if I should reply to this but it bothers me. Let's actually put the blame on the person who actually caused the problem...the motorcycle driver. Granted, there are law enforcement officials who do abuse their power or privilages, but for the most part, they are people like you and I trying to make a living. I am sure if this officer knew the outcome of the situation, he would have let the motorcycle go....then the public would have been outraged that he didn't even try to do his job and stop the maniac. This officer has a job in which every day he is scruitinized by the public, the media, and his supervisiors, wondering why he didn't handle a certain situation in a different way. I would like to believe he was acting in good faith, doing what he thought was right at that particular time. I am not saying he should not be held accountable for anything.....as he did not use proper protocol, but 2 counts of vehicular manslaughter with a sentence of 20 years? How about puting some of the blame on the guy who was breaking the law in the first place.

MattP 343

Established Member
So let me get this straight was the motorcycle trying to run when he knew the officer was giving chase or was he just speeding and it took the officer going 120mph-130mph to catch back up- and on that 130mph sprint he got into an accident?

The guest anchor said the motorcyclist didn't do anything to warrant a highspeed-chase, so it was the officers own response that got him into trouble, correct? One can argue that if the motorcycle wouldn't have been breaking the law in the first place, the officer wouldn't have got into the wreck but that is all circumstantial.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
The guest anchor said the motorcyclist didn't do anything to warrant a highspeed-chase, so it was the officers own response that got him into trouble, correct? .

Meaning the motorcyclist didn't rob a bank, shoot/stab anyone so he had no real reason to run and should have just pulled over.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
Prayers go out to the families here. its a tragic event. recently there was a case in our area where an officer was killed and the suspect was charged with
manslaughter.
I had though about this and for those who say the speeder should be the
one faced with the charges...it makes sense because its tragic.
where would that end though?
if i made an illegal lane change, roll a stop sign, travel 25mph over, just do something thats improper and the officer makes a bad judgment call or didnt see the vehicle he just pulled out in front of which causes a horrible accident.
should i be facing manslaughter?
I think most to all people on the forum at one point or another have broken our said speeding laws.
there isnt enough info here to say why the speeder got off. he probably was
issued his speeding tickets but all would be minor.
either way its a terrible thing but i still wouldnt vote for a law that would
cause me to face the charges of a reckless officer while performing a minor infraction.

It should stop with common sense, Are you running/fleeing from the law? No. But for those who flee then yes they should be held responsible. At least for something.

NO-BlkLightning2K

Putin 2016. Yup.
Established Member
that sux but its kinda ass backwards how they guy who was running gets away scott free and the cop can face 20 yrs, should be the other way around.

not really. cops have a duty to use discretion, when they fail to do this, they should be punished accordingly.

05blast

It should stop with common sense, Are you running/fleeing from the law? No. But for those who flee then yes they should be held responsible. At least for something.

my statement was for those saying the biker should face 2 charges of manslaughter along with the officer.
however our legal system doesnt always use common sense.
at the end of the day its just a terrible situation.

Last edited:

BBriBro

Established Member
I researched this and read several articles that gave more info than that video clip. Yes, the biker shouldn't have been running from the law, that's obvious, it's also pretty stupid to ride like that with a chick on the back !! But you can't overlook the actions of the officer.....someone who should know better. The officer was driving on the shoulder, at triple digit speeds, and lost control and hit the SUV. As they will tell you, anytime your car contacts another, it's your fault. His skills and decision making should be better than the average joe to carry out his job, I think this tragedy proves otherwise. He also severely injured one of his co-workers who happened to be commuting in that traffic, I wonder how he feels about the valiant efforts of his collegue?

Users who are viewing this thread