Cop threw my sworn statement away. What can I do?

QuickV8

▪█───────█▪
Established Member
I wrote a statement about someone being arrested. I wrote good things about the person that was arrested because I knew the judge would see it and added a few things about how the cop treated the person that was arrested. I found out today that the cop put 'Refused to make a statement'. What can I do about this? Should I ask to talk to the sheriff or the arresting cops captain? How serious is it? I wrote the statement on the hood of the cop car so I'm assuming I was recorded. I live in Florida.

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
To be honest, the written statement you provided should have only contained pertinent facts to the case for which the person was arrested. Character references and statements about how the officer treated a person are not material facts to why a person is arrested. If you are that concerned about the officer's behavior, then file a complaint on him through his departent.

cornholio

Established Member
? Was this during the course of the arrest, at the time of the offense, or during immediate follow up? Were you giving a witness statement to the offense? LEO's dont take character statements after the fact.

As far as recording, it depends on your local department.

musclefan21

Established Member
You have a problem the way the cop treated your friend during an arrest? Go to the station and file a complaint. I wouldnt take your statement either, because it sounds like you were complaining, not writing a statement.

I too agree not the whole story is being told here.

CSD

Banned
I wrote a statement about someone being arrested. I wrote good things about the person that was arrested because I knew the judge would see it and added a few things about how the cop treated the person that was arrested. I found out today that the cop put 'Refused to make a statement'. What can I do about this? Should I ask to talk to the sheriff or the arresting cops captain? How serious is it? I wrote the statement on the hood of the cop car so I'm assuming I was recorded. I live in Florida.

Writing about how sweet your friend is and how he feeds the ducks every Saturday morning has nothing to do with the arrest and what led to him/her being arrested. Stick to the facts!

Is the cop not under oath? Seems that lying under oath would be a big no-no...

The officer was not in the courtroom. He was in the field making an arrest. What you meant to say was official misconduct.

Probably because you put BS character references in the report.

Most likely.

You have a problem the way the cop treated your friend during an arrest? Go to the station and file a complaint. I wouldnt take your statement either, because it sounds like you were complaining, not writing a statement.

I too agree not the whole story is being told here.

I agree with this post.

Won't be posting anymore details. sorry

I'm not surprised. :bored:

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
Won't be posting anymore details. sorry

Apology not accepted. I can only assume it was something incredibly stupid and the police officer's irritation/attitude was warranted. Glad they accepted your sweet 'character statement'

Users who are viewing this thread