Cop tells woman about Jesus during traffic stop...rights violated?

4u 2 nv

I aint nobody
Established Member
We were talking about this this morning at work...What are your toughts?

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/10/0...-jesus-during-traffic-stop/?intcmp=latestnews

You have the right to remain silent … in prayer.

An Indianapolis woman says her rights were violated after she was pulled over by a cop who asked her if she accepted Jesus as her savior.

"It's just completely out of line and it just -- it took me aback," Ellen Bogan, 60, told The Indianapolis Star.

The alleged incident occurred in August. The state trooper, Brian Hamilton, allegedly asked her about her faith a number of times and handed her religious materials. One pamphlet tells the reader to "realize you’re a sinner."

Bogan, who told the paper she does not attend church, said she felt compelled to tell the officer that she was religious.

"The whole time, his lights were on," she said.

A police spokesman told the paper that he is aware of the federal lawsuit, which claims Bogan's First and Fourth amendments were violated, but did not comment on the pending litigation. The spokesman told the paper that there is no specific policy that addresses distributing religious materials.

"I have people pass out religious material all the time. Mormons come to my door all the time, and it doesn't offend me," Micah Clark, the executive director of the American Family Association of Indiana, told The Star. "[This case] might not be the most persuasive time to talk to someone about their faith, but I don't think that a police officer is prohibited from doing something like that."

Bogan, who was handed a warning, is joined in the lawsuit by the ACLU of Indiana.

4u 2 nv

I aint nobody
Established Member
I agree its prob not the best time to say that but I am not sure if i see how her rights were violated. He didnt ask to pray with her, etc etc. Just asked her a question and handed her reading information.

Thoughts?

2011roush

Established Member
A few years ago I was pulled over while on my way home from hunting and told the officer I had numerous firearms in the vehicle. He put me in cuffs for his protection which I can understand and i had no problems with. His buddy that showed up put me in the back of the patrol car and cranked up the Christian radio station and told me to"think about what I had done" lol they ended up releasing me with a warning for improper lane change

04SVT_COBRA

CO No Mas
Established Member
He did something he is not instructed to do, therefore he should be disciplined. Why can't cops do their ****ing job and keep their mouth ****ing shut? Last I checked they are here to "protect" people and enforce the law, not be morality police or shove their fairy tales down their employers (public) throat.

4u 2 nv

I aint nobody
Established Member
He did something he is not instructed to do, therefore he should be disciplined. Why can't cops do their ****ing job and keep their mouth ****ing shut? Last I checked they are here to "protect" people and enforce the law, not be morality police or shove their fairy tales down their employers (public) throat.

Most can agree there would have been a better time but she now has a pending lawsuit claiming her 1st and 4th amendments were violated. Thats the main issue at hand. Like the department spokesman said "there is no specific policy that addresses distributing religious materials". I am more interested to know how they quanitify her damages for such issues.

Steve@Tasca

Her rights were violated? I'm not religious at all so I'm not on either side. The cop may have been out of line and had no business asking the question but no ones "rights" were violated, by suing isn't she trying to violate his right to free speech?

What ever happened to just blowing things off? Getting over it and on with your life? :nonono:

Ridiculous.

-Steve

venom_inc

Killing time at work.
Established Member
No rights were violated unless he told her she was being detained just to talk to her about Christ.

mavisky

Established Member
I think a lot of it comes down to the timing. If an officer has pulled me over and begins preaching to me and asking me personal questions about my faith or lack thereof BEFORE he gives me a ticket then it seem disingenuous and I would feel like I was being pressured into certain actions to perhaps avoid reprimand. If he's already given me my warning/ticket and then starts preaching to me, now he's just being annoying.

I don't so much have a problem with a person who is a police officer passing out religious material, but it seems odd that he's doing it while both on-duty and in the act of performing his duties of actively enforcing the law. If he wants to clock out, return to his civvies and stand out at the corner and pass out flyers I have no issue with that.

paluka21

Established Member
Eh who cares? People are always looking for reasons to sue and society is all about political tolerance. The officer just like anyone else is covered by the 1st Amendment. If she didn't like it, let her move on and throw the material way. Non story IMO.

2KBlackGT

The Man, Myth, The Legend
Established Member
Interesting replies here. Can't say I'd be to happy if a cop did this to me. I'd probably file a complaint but wouldn't go as far as she is by filing a lawsuit.

Just ticket me or not and let me go on my way.

WireEater

Dumpster Baby
Established Member
I think a lot of it comes down to the timing. If an officer has pulled me over and begins preaching to me and asking me personal questions about my faith or lack thereof BEFORE he gives me a ticket then it seem disingenuous and I would feel like I was being pressured into certain actions to perhaps avoid reprimand. If he's already given me my warning/ticket and then starts preaching to me, now he's just being annoying.

I don't so much have a problem with a person who is a police officer passing out religious material, but it seems odd that he's doing it while both on-duty and in the act of performing his duties of actively enforcing the law. If he wants to clock out, return to his civvies and stand out at the corner and pass out flyers I have no issue with that.

This was pretty much my thought on the process except I don't have to type it now, thanks guy!

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
dont give a damn. she didnt wanna hear about jesus, then just dont listen. could of prob got away without a ticket if she took jesus as her savor.

She didn't get a ticket.

Yeah you would think she would just suck it up and continue on...especially after only getting a warning.

Seriously.

It's all in the timing I think. I couldn't care less if a cop [in uniform] is having a conversation with people about religion and decides hey, this is a great time for some pamphlets. During a traffic stop or something where you are about to fine, search, arrest someone is not okay.

Is this worthy of a lawsuit? I don't think so. It is a good teaching opportunity for police on when and where these types of conversations are acceptable on duty.

Last edited:

Screw-Rice

I like BBC
Established Member
Yeah you would think she would just suck it up and continue on...especially after only getting a warning.

That's where it gets tricky. Would she have only got a warning if she admitted she wasn't religious? No one will ever really know for sure.

If that happened to me, I would be annoyed but that's about all. Granted I wouldn't be compelled to say I'm religious since I'm not, so if he suddenly hit me with a bunch of bs citations, then I would probably file a complaint.

Unless your work is religious in nature, you shouldn't be trying to convert anyone while on the job.

Outlaw99

Join us.
Premium Member
the media is the biggest joke on this planet. the supervisor who approved this article for publication needs to be fired.

slidai

Established Member
I wonder how people would feel if the cop was an atheist and the conversation was reversed.

4u 2 nv

I aint nobody
Established Member
I wonder how people would feel if the cop was an atheist and the conversation was reversed.

it seems most agree it was very poorly timed and should not have happened. But does the woman actually have a case that her rights were violated and thus deserves money?

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
Would be annoying, but I wouldn't sue anyone over it.

Now if he did that in a bribing way...

Users who are viewing this thread