cooling problem ??'s

98ABcobra

Established Member
i just did the imrcs on my car and put it back together and it runs good except for one problem. it seems to run hotter than normal. before it ran about 190 deg. max and now i have a check engine light with no code and it has run upwards of 210deg and more. does this mean the system wasn't properly burped or could i have a thermostat problem?

WaffleGT

FNFSTSVT
Established Member
Did you take the IMRC's apart and weld them or plug the holes? If so, need to put a tune on it to take the check engine light off. As far as the overheating, did you put the thermostat in upside down? May sound crazy, but it's been done before

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
did you drain out all the coolent when you took the intake off, if not i suggest going back removing the old coolent and replacing it with new coolent and burping the system, most likely you have an air bubble, you have to take the cap off the coolent cross over tube to properly burp the system, you may need to do this more than once
edit get the code read but most likely its only from the imrc removal and not the overheating problem

Dano

"Book 'em Dano"
Established Member
210 is right on the edge. With the AC running, the CCRM puts the cooling fan on high speed, until it gradually drops down to about 205. Without my Haynes Manual, I can't spit out the exact numbers, but the ones I mentioned are close.

The good ole' Haynes Manual is nice to have, if you're going to try and understand the Cobra. It's usually fairly easy to troubleshoot your problems in this Forum, but it's also possible to get more than one fix from several owners. There are so many variables controlling the cooling system that sometimes you have to start from scratch, and go all the way through it. Just because you did one repair on a sub-system, doesn't mean that has anything to do with a heating problem. I say heating problem because those numbers you gave aren't really overheating. JMO

Last edited:

SNAKEYE

Established Member
Did you take the IMRC's apart and weld them or plug the holes? If so, need to put a tune on it to take the check engine light off. As far as the overheating, did you put the thermostat in upside down? May sound crazy, but it's been done before

The thermostat doesn't need to be removed to clean or delete the IMRC's.

98ABcobra

Established Member
my aftermarket autometer is what im using. the car was at 230 friday nite for a little while.

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
I watch the gauge. It works up to 210, the thermostat opens and it cools down... Never gets over, but it might hang there for a few minutes.

Dano

"Book 'em Dano"
Established Member
Mine always read about 210 - 215. I had the electrical model gage, and the number scale wasn't as easy to decipher as the mechanical type. I remember one day - it shot up to about 230 - 240 for a few seconds, and then came back down. Never did that again ... LOL

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread