Cooling Mod Restrictor Poll

Was the restrictor removed during the LDC Cooling Mod installation?

• Yes, goodby and good riddance!

Votes: 19 48.7%
  • No, I would never dream of it!

Votes: 20 51.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Quick Strike

Established Member
I took the restrictor out of the hose during the LDC cooling mod installation. Now, I am wondering if I did the right thing. The instructions were neutral on weather to remove it or not. I thought it should be done since it was mentioned at all it. What did the rest of you do and think?

evans03c

1% evil, 99% hot air
Established Member
Mine came out. It might have been a mistake but the mechanic who did it apparently didn't think so. No problems yet though. I also have a Canton expansion tank and I put a barb with a hose going to another small catch can. What I think this will do is to function as a pressure relief for the whole system. The stock cooling system is a "closed" system and does not have any openings exposed to the outside. Someone please correct me if I am wrong about this.

dun4791

Established Member
We have to be neutral on whether to remove it or not. You have 3 choices. Remove all the way-inner rubber piece and outer plastic piece.
Remove the inner washer.
Leave stock
The plastic insert has a 3/8 hole in it for flow, the rubber washer reduces it down to 3/16.
I removed the rubber washer, and left the plastic restrictor in on my car.This opened the 3/16 restriction to 3/8 effectively doubling the coolant flow.....
Lyle

dun4791

Established Member
bultaco370 said:
were is this restrictor at! i am getting ready to do one and i am not sure if i should remove it or not!

In the hose from the heater core inlet on the firewall to the stock pass fitting coming from the back of the head..............

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
ShelbyGuy said:
that restrictor is to prevent pressure spikes from bursting your heater core

ever put a heater core in a mustang?

i'd leave it.

Exactly why mine is still in there. The benefits of it being out for increased flow cannot possibly outweigh the goodness of me not having to drop my dash out and soak antifreeze out of the carpet.

evans03c

1% evil, 99% hot air
Established Member
BigZach said:
I had my heater core replaced........ 50 something dollar part or whatever, over 1000 dollars in labor.
ouch. Did it have anything to do with the resitrictor or did it just spring a leak? If mine ever goes I would just connect the inlet and outlet together inside the engine bay, bypassing the heater core altogether.

SlowSVT

Established Member
I don't think there is much point to the cooling mod if you leave the restrictors in place. I have not acually heard of anyone blowing out their heater core running without a restrictor. Has this happened to anyone and how common is it?

flyn high again

You are getting sleepy...
Established Member
SlowSVT said:
I don't think there is much point to the cooling mod if you leave the restrictors in place. I have not acually heard of anyone blowing out their heater core running without a restrictor. Has this happened to anyone and how common is it?

We've sold many cooling mods over the past year and a half and haven't had anyone report to us that their core has blown out so it can't be very common. Of course, we have no statistics on how many guys have removed the restrictor.

Quick Strike

Established Member
Just to report back (I started the poll), I removed the restrictor and cleaned up the plactic piece inside the hose by hand with the next drill size up. It has been over six months (closer to nine) with no heater core or cooling issues.

Last edited:

427Windsorman

Currently between Fords
Established Member
The 5.0 Mustangs from 79-94 had issues with damaging heater cores. That is why all the special service Mustangs were equipped with the restrictors. I have no idea if the 96-04 heater cores are any better, but the platform is the same, the heater core box is in the same location, so I would err on the side of caution, and leave the restrictor in place. I would leave the inner restrictor in place, at a minimum, but this is coming from someone that had to change a heater core in an 85 Mustang. I NEVER want to do that again, it sucked that bad..........

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
Mine is totally removed.

If I remember correctly, another reason for the restrictor was to minimize any noises that were generated by the heater core.
You would hope that if pressure spiking was an issue in the past, Ford would have addressed the problem by now with a stronger core.

Regardless, I'll deal with the consequences, if any, when they occur.
Dana

Jpjr

Established Member
did not remove mine, it acts as a regulator for the heater core. it's a necessary restriction. it's not going to save your pistons in or out.

eebj01

Established Member
restrictor

For the guy that said he would rather replace the heater core than the #7 or 8 piston...You will end up replacing the pistons if you don't put it back in. The reason for it when used in conjunction with the cooling mod is to LIMIT the amount of flow out of the head. That's right, LIMIT. What happens is the coolant is hotter in that area and if it is allowed to run through the heater core unrestricted, it means that you have hot coolant dumping right back into the engine because it never cycles through the radiator. Follow a cooling diagram on the engine. Since the hot coolant does not end up going through the radiator before going back into the engine, the coolant temp will be elevated somewhat overall. High coolant temp is what you are trying to keep away from the drivers side head. The cooling mod is designed to use a restrictor to control the volume of the flow from the drivers side head. Basically, all it needs is to just have flow to keep the coolant from boiling around the hot chamber. Boiling coolant means that the coolant is no longer in contact with the head surface which means the cylinder temp goes up. Cylinder temp goes up, you burn pistons. Since there will be know-it-alls on here arguing with what I am saying, before you debate it, call Evans cooling and ask for their 03 Cobra guy. I'm quite sure he'll tell you the same thing. Again, the idea of the cooling mod is to get SOME flow through the head to try and keep coolant from boiling. It is not to flow 500 gph!

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
eebj01 said:
the idea of the cooling mod is to get SOME flow through the head to try and keep coolant from boiling. It is not to flow 500 gph!
That makes sense to me!:thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread