Cooling issues...

phorty

Established Member
To bring you guys up to speed- I purchased the car in January of '06. It had been stored for 3 years by the previous owner and driven very sparingly during that time. After I bought it, it sat in my garage for 3 more months before it was nice enough to drive it. On warmer days when idling, the coolant temp would heat up above the normal area. I figured I should flush out the old coolant. When I was doing this, I noticed some corrosion in the radiator. After the coolant flush was done, the same thing was happening- the car would run hot when idling at a stop light. The fan is working fine and there are no leaks.

So I figured I'll swap the radiator. So my question is, which one to buy? Either a stock style 2 core, a stock style 3 core, or an aluminum one. My car isn't 100% stock but it's pretty close. If I buy a stock equivalent, the car will keep the stock look but might not cool as well. If I go with the 3 core, it will look similar but experts will know it's not stock. An aluminum one is the nicest but it's obvious that it isn't stock- if I went that route I'd probably replace it with a 2 core when I sold the car.

So I'm trying to satisfy my desire to have a original appearing car but also maximize my cooling system. Can it be done?

mustangcobra93

Established Member
I have a stock style 3 core in mine. My car is supercharged and puts out 380 RWHP and I've not once had any problems with it. You might want to swap out the thermostat too, it could be going out. If someone just glanced at my engine I don't think they would ever realize the radiator is bigger or not stock.

1162686461_l.jpg

Last edited:

PJM99

Established Member
My stock radiator started leaking. So I replaced it with a stock looking 3 row and while I was at it, I replaced the water pump, fan clutch and put in a 180* thermostat, I believe stock is 195*, and I got some Ford silicon hoses to dress it up a bit. I never had cooling issues to begin with but the car does run colder than it did. Even though my fan clutch wasn't bad, you could definately notice the new one was working better.

phorty

Established Member
carguy19 said:
The fan clutch might be messed up. Check that too.
How can I check this? Mine seems to be working normally.

Where is a good place to get a 3-row radiator from? I've heard Pep Boys has them- are they the same ones I'd get from an internet mail order place? A while back, I think I got the one for my 89 GT from Mustangs Unlimited and it had a cracked weld when I got it.

Last edited:

BADBOYSPACK

Ford Tech
Established Member
Make sure the sending unit is not to blame, heck you can replace it cheaper than a radiator.

Ford still makes them, well motorcraft any way.

phorty

Established Member
BADBOYSPACK said:
Make sure the sending unit is not to blame, heck you can replace it cheaper than a radiator.

Ford still makes them, well motorcraft any way.
Are you referring to the sending unit to the temp guage in the dash?

tunedin302

Runnin' with the devil
Established Member
First things I would do are 1) with the vehicle off, try to spin the fan with your hand. Does it spin very freely? If so, the fan clutch is shot 2) replace the thermostat and flush the system. If these do not help your cooling issues then, as BADBOY said, I would consider replacing the sending unit (located in the lower intake manifold) before buying a new radiator. Keep us posted.

buddha93

Established Member
T-stat......it's a cheap replacement. A crudy radiator won't overheat a car unless it has an actual leak or is plugged up in some way.

Big Ben

stangsofsouthflorida.com
Established Member
Fan clutches often go bad and it is hard to tell because they are still spinning.

I went with a Cobra R FRPP aluminum two row radiator and an SHO electric fan, my sh*t runs COOL! I also like that it is all still Ford parts!

cobra 1

Established Member
i agree with everyone else on the fan clutch thing. but i want to say more than anything else i have bought for my cobra my fluidyne radiator was by far the best thing i've ever done as far as an upgrade. for me, more important than springs, exhaust, gears, headers,... etc

BADBOYSPACK

Ford Tech
Established Member
phorty said:
Are you referring to the sending unit to the temp guage in the dash?

Yes the sending unit for the gauge, remember there are 2 sending units on this car so make sure you get the right one. Its a push on single wire type.

Mike93SVT

Savior of Junk
Established Member
BADBOYSPACK said:
Yes the sending unit for the gauge, remember there are 2 sending units on this car so make sure you get the right one. Its a push on single wire type.

where is the other sensor. i have an anderson pms, and when it says 186, my dash gauge will be hot, can't figure that out yet.

tunedin302

Runnin' with the devil
Established Member
Mike93SVT said:
where is the other sensor. i have an anderson pms, and when it says 186, my dash gauge will be hot, can't figure that out yet.

Did you ever notice in your video that when you are looking in the rear view, a state trooper passes on the other side? :burnout:

Users who are viewing this thread