Cooling Fan/ System check

BrianP

Established Member
Yesterday was one of the first nice days i've had with the new to me mustang. on my way home from school, i hit traffic on the highway for oh, a good 5-6 miles. After sitting in traffic for about 20-25 minutes i notice steam coming from under the hood, check the temp gauge and its sitting pretty normal. i keep going in traffic for a few more minutes keeping an eye on the guage it eventually starts to rise. i didnt let it go far beyond the half way mark, so i pull over and let it cool down. I check under teh hoodand coolant is coming out of the cap, smoking and making a little mess.

During all this i dont hear the cooling fan kick on at all. So today, i refill the coolant resivoir and resimulate the same situation. as im watching it run, i can start to see the steam again after a good 20 minutes run time. not a lot, but i see steam. Except its not coming out of the resivoir cap like before. so im thinking either the resivoir has a small crack in it, that only leaks under pressure or the same for the radiator.

But this doesnt explain the why the fan wouldnt come on...i dont think. i checked the fuse for the cooling fan it it checked out ok, and the radiator temp sensor (or at least i think its the radiator temp sensor, its plugged into the cooling fan and clips on the top of the rad). and had continuity through that when it was hot. Is there a way to jump out the radiator fan to see if the motor is good? any other fuses anywhere? anything you guys would suggest looking for right away? the motor does sprin freely so i dont think its bound up at all.

Thanks for any help guys

Users who are viewing this thread