Cooling fan questions

99Cobra#2468

Student of the Cobra
Established Member
Lately, I have noticed my cooling fan kicking on and staying on more often, even when it is 70 degrees and cool air outside. I was recently at dyno and adjusting tune with my Xcal 2, but I (and I assume the tuner) did not make any changes to the cooling fan.

What are preferred settings for the cooling fan, both hight and low speed? Also, is there any real issue is coling fan is kicking on too frequently?

Thanks for the input!!

poopy01

My car is slow
Established Member
Hmmm, I have noticed the same thing on mine. I was going to try a flush , lower stat, and some water wetter first. I figure its over do anyway.

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
Since you have an Xcal 2 datalog the coolant temps and fan settings and watch.

Most tunes automatically turn the fans on at a lower temp.

COBRA90GT

The Joe is rockin'
Established Member
poopy01 said:
Hmmm, I have noticed the same thing on mine. I was going to try a flush , lower stat, and some water wetter first. I figure its over do anyway.

Lower t-stat won't accomplish much, especially if you go with "too cold" of a t-stat. Draining/refilling coolant would be a good idea. Make sure you properly drain/refill the cooling system, being sure to "burp" it.

You *MUST* fill from the coolant crossover tube (the plug right in front of the alternnator, removable with the end of a 1/4" ratchet). Run a search for "burp" for complete drain/refill instructions...

poopy01

My car is slow
Established Member
COBRA90GT said:
Lower t-stat won't accomplish much, especially if you go with "too cold" of a t-stat. Draining/refilling coolant would be a good idea. Make sure you properly drain/refill the cooling system, being sure to "burp" it.

You *MUST* fill from the coolant crossover tube (the plug right in front of the alternnator, removable with the end of a 1/4" ratchet). Run a search for "burp" for complete drain/refill instructions...
Thanks for the info, I was going with a 180. anything cooler increases engine wear. I assume the stock was 195 or so. What is stock? And I just like to do stats ever 5 years or so since there so cheap. I bet my predator lowered mine too but this is somethign I just noticed although I dont drive it much.

Users who are viewing this thread