cooling fan problems

vnms96

Established Member
has anyone on here ever had a problem with the electric fan not working? i disconnected the plug and applied power straight to the fan and it works. i talked to the ford service dept. today and he told me that the cooling system has a multi-function relay box that controls the dual speed fan. has anybody had any expieriance with this psoblem?

WhiteFoxGT

Resident Ford Tech
Established Member
How do you know it isnt working? Is the car overheating?

There is a relay..and a few things to control it.

With the car running, turn the AC on and see if they kick on. Lemme kno what happens.

vnms96

Established Member
well lets see. it was overheating in the city. but on the highway it does fine. no it doesnt come on when you turn the ac on. plus when it gets hot in town i pulled over and poped the hood and checked it out. well nothing. so i killed the motor and disconnected the plug and ran a ground and power wire to fan and both speeds work. so i'm lost.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
IIRC it is on the passanger side fenderwell.
Black box about 4x6 and has 24 wires to it if I recall.

I think the dealer can test them.
on 94-95 it was on the radiator support but I think moved to the fender in 96.

Yellow98SVT

T-trim, bitches
Established Member
Pull out the plug that goes into the fan itself and inspect it. I had a little melting over time that malformed the plug enough to screw with the connection. It would run fine at speed, but, after a little while it would overheat in traffic. With the car moving fast enough to keep air over the radiator, it was fine. In the city or stop or go traffic it would creep up past NORMAL. I went to Ford and bought and spliced in a new plug. It ran 23.00 from Two Rivers Ford in Nashville and fixed me up.

vnms96

Established Member
well the plug looks good. but hey what would it hurt to buy a plug. that would be cheaper then a new box

Yellow98SVT

T-trim, bitches
Established Member
You can buy those CCRM modules off ebay for 50 bucks.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/98-F...hash=item250199392165&_trksid=p3756.m20.l1116

Just call the Ford dealer and get the part number and then cross check it against what "Mustang-Salvage" carries in stock. The link I posted might not be the right part exactly, but, the folks who posted it will have the right one. They are the largest Mustang Salvagers in the Universe I think. The part goes in the right wheel well and is a simple plug and play deal. They did it on my car, in less than an hour, without removing the tire.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread