Cooling Experts - NEW Thermostat Q

NetworkingGuru

Established Member
Guys,

Please excuse my ignorance on this one, but why can't you just remove the t-stat? I mean, if all it does is regulate the minimum temp, why not just get rid of it? Is there such a thing as running an engine too cold? I mean, the temp can't POSSIBLY drop below ambiant, can it? If the car is not going to be run in below 30 degree weather, is a t-stat really needed?

Thanks

NetworkingGuru

Established Member
NEW INFO

I found some interesting info on this subject. It seems that, at least for racing engines, that this isn't all that uncommon. This article claims that you need to place a metal plate with a hole in it, however, instead of just leaving the opening as-is:

http://www.off-road.com/rick/thermo.html

However, I have also read that there is, in fact, an optimal temp for most engines. So, I am still, as of yet, undecided on how to approach this.

bender460

Established Member
The way I've understood it is you only remove the thermostat IF you need more coolant flow. Sometimes the coolant can be moving too fast and not be in the radiator long enough to cool it.

NetworkingGuru

Established Member
Originally posted by Cobra03
The thermostat regulates maximum temp, not min., I believe.

Hmmm. Does it open at the speified temp, or close at the specified temp? I had always thought that it only opened at the specified temp, which would mean coolant only flows through the engine after the specified temp is reached. To my thinking that would be controlling the minimum temp. Does that make sense, or am I all screwed up?

ronreid03

Established Member
If you don't think the thermostat regulates minimum temperature monitor the engine temp wih the fans off while sitting at a ligth on a hot summer day!

C_Record

Established Member
Originally posted by NetworkingGuru
[snip]I had always thought that it only opened at the specified temp, which would mean coolant only flows through the engine after the specified temp is reached.
Yes, and that means it's controlling the minimum temp(a thermostat has nothing to do with how hot the engine becomes).

edited for correction(was informed I mistakenly wrote max instead of minimum)

Last edited:

93cobra03

Established Member
It opens when water temp reaches t/stat temp. If you open it up w/ no t/stat it will take forever to reach optimium temp and run rich all the time never going into an open loop mode. The computer would think the car was still trying to warm up. Also, on a cold day you would have no heat as the water never gets a chance to warm up. take it from me this is strictly for a race car and yes you put a plate in to stop a form of cavitaion which hurt pressure in system since there is no blockage.

Cobra'03

Established Member
The thermostat controls the minimum temp. Its purposes besides that are:
1) to regulate warm up, by ensuring the heads get heated up fast, which reduces emissions and preserves the oil from premature dilution.
2) To control flow rate through the radiator, to ensure heat gets scrubbed off
3) To raise MPG by the action of #1
4) To ensure that the oil reaches optimum lubricating temp - if you run without one, oil temp either will not reach 200 degrees or so, which will allow water vapor to accumulate in the oil, or will take an extraordinary time to reach a high enough temp to boil off the water
5) There is the danger of remaining open loop, as previously posted in this thread

Racers often run without thermostats, but they do have restrictors to control the flow rate through the cooling system. Plus, they do not run in cold weather, and at the flat out speeds they run, heating the oil is no problem (cooling it is).

BTW, the optimum thermostat would be dynamically controlled - hi temp for fast warmup, wider opening for high demand driving, etc. Guess what - they exist? BMW has added dynamic controlled thermostats, which use a electrically controlled valve driven by the engine mgt system to maximize the thermostat performance.

Users who are viewing this thread