cooler weather = haul a$$

kobra01

Established Member
Like others have metioned on this board, when the weather gets cooler my car really wakes up. Hot day in So Cal I can sometimes break the tires loose from a roll in 1st gear. When it's cooler no problem breaking tires loose from a roll.

My car has run as hot as 115C on a hot day. That's pretty damn hot. Glad i'm not running motorcraft 5w20 oil in an engine that runs this hot.

So why does weather have an effect on how the car runs.
Is the problem that the engine is hot or the air going into the engine is hot or is it humidity or what.
What contributes the most to the car running differently.
Do the Lightnings have this same problem.
Will the Ford-GT have this problem.

How can we make these cars run the same all of the time.

stangfan

When in doubt.. Floor it!
Established Member
So why does weather have an effect on how the car runs.
Is the problem that the engine is hot or the air going into the engine is hot or is it humidity or what.

I'm not a thermal dynamics engineer but... Cooler air = more oxygen molecules. More oxygen = more fuel (computer figures this out). More oxygen & fuel = more power.:D

Do the Lightnings have this same problem.
All gasoline cumbustion engines have this 'problem'.

Will the Ford-GT have this problem.
All gasoline cumbustion engines have this 'problem'.

How can we make these cars run the same all of the time.
Anything that will cool the air temp going into your motor will help. My understanding is that there are few things you can do. Other than 1)A NX kit 2)Better intercooler/radiator 3)I'm sure there are others that I'm not aware of...

WHITESNAKEVERT

Established Member
Everything that EastCoast said plus the fact that colder tires are not as sticky as hot tires. Cold tires are much easier to break loose and that is the reason for the burnout.

03DOHC

Established Member
The PCM should pull less timing due to the lower inlet air temperatures too. I've seen 7 degrees of retard before on a 95 degree day.

Pyro

Established Member
Hey Kobra01, you must live around the corner from me because Chino Hills isn't that big of a place!!

Funny, I noticed the same thing about the weather and the Cobra. Look at it this way, it's mother natures version of an intercooler. This is why people mention temperature when they talk about track times. Air gets more dense (more 02) as temperature decreases. More 02 means more fuel for the burn. Also, when the computer senses more 02, it increases the fuel to compensate. Hence, more power. It gets even better when it's cold by the beach! Cold and dense air AND at sea level. Cant ask for more from mother nature.

On the other hand, you will see a decrease in performance when it is 105 degrees and you've been stuck in traffic. You have hot air from the get go AND you've got heat soak from the Heaton supercharger especially with a smaller pulley.

Last edited:

kobra01

Established Member
Pyro, I think I have seen your car. Very nice ride. Let's get together sometime, would like to check out the cutouts.

94SVT Coupe

Ford Fanatic
Established Member
The 03 responds to cold air in three ways, all good. Cold intake air keeps the timing up. Cold air is more dense, resulting in more boost/airflow. And the IC system is kept much cooler.

The supercooler on the Lightnings is susposed to be worth 50 HP. Running around on a 35-40 degree night must come close to the same increase vs. a hot summer day.

Too bad traction goes to hell in the cold.

chitowncobra

Established Member
hey guys i live in hot and humid florida my car runs excellent,i sqeal the tires from a roll in 1st gear going into second gear. but i prefer to drive my car early morning or late evening. but some times i drive it mid day but still no problems.

Users who are viewing this thread