Coolant Temp housing Leak Repair Info

HTPerformance

Supersonicsvt From Focal Jet:
"For all you folks with SVTfs that leak coolant near at the thermostat housing area (if you don't have it now, you will!), here's what was wrong with mine - and how you can fix yours for $2 in 10 minutes.

There are two ports in the plastic thermostat housing that use a small O-ring to seal the port. One is the temperature sensor coming out of the top, and the other comes out of the bottom at a 45 degree angle - mine was just an aluminum plug. Mine was leaking at this plug whenever it got really cold. Some folks have leaks at the temperature sensor, same problem. Once hot, it didn't leak.

The problem is that Ford saved about $0.50 by using a Buna-N (Nitrile) O-ring to seal these ports . Buna-N is only good for a MAXIMUM 230°F service. The engine runs constantly at just about that temperature, and hotter when you shut down after a long run on a hot day. So after a few years, these O-rings get hard and don't seal.

So, rather than pay $60 for a thermostat housing, and/or $10 for a plug (or a fortune for the dealer to fix it, if he ever does), here is what you need to know:

You need a #203 O-ring, made out of VITON. Viton is good for 450° service."

For the lower plug, the #203 will work, and the #109 for the temperature sensor."

Last edited:

Darkblade

Thread Killer
Established Member
Awesome, I had my "Clip" that holds the plug in break, and i Lost the plug altogether, I spent 3 days Argueing(SP?) w/ the dealer that it was a plug, not a Sensor that went in there!

doubletrouble

The Mad Scientist
Established Member
Sounds sweet man, I'll prolly send you $10 just for doing the research and info on it, and finding out that this is a problem :rockon: I just changed T-stat not too long ago, but now my car is in closed loop mode cause it's too cold to have a 160 deg. stat right now in TX. So I might be going back in there to put a 180 in, and then the 160 back in, in the summer. You will prolly be getting a SASE from me next paycheck here in about 2 weeks. Thanks again for the info, as I would hate to have a coolant leak.

HTPerformance

Well I replaced my two o-rings today, and the CEL came on after i started it up again. I am curious cuz I did have to unhook one sensor (temp sensor), but I don't see why it would be acting up. It seems like the car is running on the limp mode, but I am not sure. I drained all of the coolant and then refilled it afterwards with 50anti/50water ?

Any ideas? I have unhooked my battery in hoped of resetting the ECU, but I am not sure what else might help if that doesn't.

HTPerformance

I have one set, would you like it??

If you want a couple of each, you can send a self addressed stamped envelope and $2 to me and I will return your envelope with some new o-rings!

My address: Brian Hult, 11 Highland Avenue East, Braintree, MA 02184-1605

Last edited:

I'D WIN

Established Member
Got the o-rings yesterday!

Can you repost those pics you had by any chance?

If not, email them to me. (Link is in sig block)

Thx!

Users who are viewing this thread