Coolant Smell???

cliesch22

Established Member
A month ago my car's thermostsat blew and coolant came pouring out of my cap. I replaced it and filled back up with universal antifreeze. After that if I would get on my car I would smell coolant. I would pop the hood and there would be a small amount of coolant seeping from the cap. I bought a new cap and it no longer leaks out. However, now after a day of driving, I get out of the car and smell under the hood and I get a wiff of coolant. It is not leaking. I don't think I put the thermostat in wrong, it really just goes in unless I missed something. Anyone have any ideas before I take it in and have Ford run a coolant system check.

On a side note, when my car gets up to operating temperature, the fan kicks on. However, it never kicks off unless I shut the car off. Is this normal? I put a canned SCT Livewire tune in ( I will be getting dynotuned soon) and my low speed fan setting is at 200 and the high speed is 210. I replaced the thermostat with a 195 degree one from autozone. Sorry so long, this is kind of annoying. The fans I can deal with but the slight smell of coolant bothers me. :shrug:

Sveet01

Established Member
I just replaced my thermostat, and that smell will go away if there are no leaks. You just got coolant somewhere and its just burning off (I could smell coolant for a week.)

As for the fans--I dunno.

Sveet01

Established Member
Still just burning it off the hoses/housing.

It'll be alright.

Sveet01

Established Member
I bought a Hypertech 160*.

Put it in some hot water to make sure it opened good and wide.

Works as designed--works good.

Anything from NAPA is quality though.

wildride02gt

Established Member
I agree with the above on Autozone 'stats being junk. I only trust NAPA, dealer, or aftermarket. this may sound stupid, but just wash down your engine bay a bit, you probably got some coolant sitting somewhere slowly burning off. even dried coolant can stink, and that powder from dried coolant gets everywhere.
also, your fans may be staying on because of the thermostat. if you just slap a lower temp 'stat in, without telling the fans to come on at a lower temp, and a tune that NEEDS the lower temp, its not helping you.

Users who are viewing this thread