Coolant Question

PONY MAN

Established Member
Just asking a question about coolant.
Which brand coolant do you use in your Stang ?
I have a friend at work, she has a new Impala & had some cooling problems with her car.
The mechanic told her she should only use a coolant call Dexcool.
I personaly use Peak or Prestone.
My guess is he was trying to push a GM PRODUCT to sell to her.
If any of you guys second car is a GM Model, has the service tech or mechanic ever said that to you about only using DexCool ?
Your input is appreciated.

bp03svt

Established Member
You have to use what the manual calls for in all new cars and trucks. Most new cars use the orange stuff. If you put the wrong kind in, it will eat the propeller off your waterpump, causing it not to cool as it should. My brother owns a garage, and one of his friends said he was having a problem with his newer Chevy truck. It turns out that he put the wrong kind in, and it ate his water pump up. It costed him more in the end by putting the wrong stuff in.

No crap, he showed me the water pump after he got it off, it was from the wrong antifreeze!

Last edited:

boostdacr

Removed by Admin.
Established Member
a lot of GM cars use Dexcool...Alot of Fords,hondas...etc use the green shit..Toyota used red shit...all in the manufactor..You can go from Dex to green but u have to make sure u flush all the dexcool out first

rrich1

Established Member
most new fords use the premium gold stuff from ford. i would use motorcraft, taht way you know it will work.

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
It really depends on the type of radiator, block, and pump.

Stick with the original AF. Although Dexcool is cool. :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread