Coolant problem

jzepp

Established Member
Three days ago my cobra starting running hot. The temp guage was climbing towards the "L". I parked, got something to eat and came back out and started the car and drove. I didn't have anymore issues. The temp guage stayed in the middle.

Today, i am driving home from work in stop and go traffic and notice the temp guage climbing to the "L" again. This time it went up close to the red mark. I pulled over and saw some steam coming out of the hood. I opened the hood but could not see any hose leaks. It looked to be coming out by the radiator cap.

I waited about 20 minutes and started the car and tried to drive home. The temp guage started to climb up a bit but didn't get toward the "L". I turned the heater on and it cooled the guage back down in the middle. The car has never had a problem with the cooling system before. What could be causing this? It seems to be fine one day and then overheats a few days later. Could the thermosat be sticking? Should i try replacing the thermostat?

03bluemach

Established Member
not saying this is what it is ..but last time my car was actin like this it was the water pump that went out ... i tried to replace the t-stat with no luck

RussZTT

Established Member
You said it was coming from the radiator cap? Replace that first. If not that, take out your thermostat, put it in water on the stove and test it.

jzepp

Established Member
I really don't know where it was coming from. When i opened the hood, it looked like the steam was coming out under the radiator cap and there was coolant leaking down towards the battery.

jzepp

Established Member
I thought if it was the water pump it would be leaking out of the weep hole or the water pump would be making noise.

LOVESBOOST

Established Member
You said it was coming from the radiator cap? Replace that first. If not that, take out your thermostat, put it in water on the stove and test it.

only logical advice given here. Come on guys. Caps will go bad and not hold the proper pressure, causing it to over heat because pressure allows the coolant to reach a higher boiling point, if the pressure drops then boiling point lowers, causing leaking coolant (from the cap) and overheating

If you don't wanna replace the cap (which I would) Take it to a shop and have them pressure test the cap to see if it is holding the correct pressure.

RickwithCobra

Established Member
hey its probably ur radiator cap, I had my car's temp go high like that randomly and it was because i didnt screw my radiator cap on right and it shot out a lot of fluid and lots of it went on the battery.

crash549

kill whitey
Established Member
mine has gone into the A bafore but usually stays where it's suppose too. i got a 160 degree thermo i need to finally put in.

jzepp

Established Member
So here is the deal. I replaced the radiator cap and the thermostat. I started the car and let it "idle" until it got up to temperature. It started to get hot again, rising up to the "L". I go under the engine and find that the fan is not turning on. My brother jiggled the wire connected to the wire harness coming from the fan and the fan turned on. The temp came back down a bit but still not in the middle where it usually is.

The thermostat finally opened up because the upper radiator hose was getting hot. I shut the car off for a few hours. When i started the car to drive home later, the temp guage got up to the middle and started to climb towards the "L" again. I turned on the heater and the temp immediately dropped down to the middle again and the low coolant light came on. I am assuming that it needed to be burped again. I got home and filled more coolant into the degas bottle. I am assuming it should be ok now? Just keep "burping" it?

Should i replace the fan wire harness plug? Looking inside the fan harness connector, one of the openings looked like it was slightly damaged from something. What is this part actually called?

RussZTT

Established Member
So here is the deal. I replaced the radiator cap and the thermostat. I started the car and let it "idle" until it got up to temperature. It started to get hot again, rising up to the "L". I go under the engine and find that the fan is not turning on. My brother jiggled the wire connected to the wire harness coming from the fan and the fan turned on. The temp came back down a bit but still not in the middle where it usually is.

The thermostat finally opened up because the upper radiator hose was getting hot. I shut the car off for a few hours. When i started the car to drive home later, the temp guage got up to the middle and started to climb towards the "L" again. I turned on the heater and the temp immediately dropped down to the middle again and the low coolant light came on. I am assuming that it needed to be burped again. I got home and filled more coolant into the degas bottle. I am assuming it should be ok now? Just keep "burping" it?

Should i replace the fan wire harness plug? Looking inside the fan harness connector, one of the openings looked like it was slightly damaged from something. What is this part actually called?
Don't just start replacing stuff. First check the voltage coming from the plug. If you are getting voltage (wiggle the wire to see if you loose voltage). If its checks out good put direct voltage on the fan to see if it kicks on etc.

jzepp

Established Member
I don't have a voltmeter. I will have to get one. When the wire is wiggled the fan kicked on so i was assuming that something is wrong with the fan wire connector and/or harness.

RussZTT

Established Member
I don't have a voltmeter. I will have to get one. When the wire is wiggled the fan kicked on so i was assuming that something is wrong with the fan wire connector and/or harness.
Yeah, get you a little cheap voltmeter, check the connector and wiggle the wire, that will tell you right there whats wrong.

jzepp

Established Member
Before, the fan would not kick on....now the fan comes on as soon as the car is started and stays on. What is up now?

SVTPower97

she's broken :(
Established Member
if your plug is fine and your fan is fine there is a fan sensor on the coolant cross over tube...i have never had to replace one or seen one go bad but hell its nuts and bolts and anything can go bad so if everything else checks out maybe someone on here can tell you how to check that sensor or it might be cheap enough to just replace

Users who are viewing this thread